Menu

I am going crazy!!! Curriculum!Long Vent!

Ok-DS13 had dsylexia and dsygraphia. We have tried every curriculum under the sun! Here we are 3 weeks before school and I can't figure out what I am going to use for history! I am bring home my ds10 this year and he needs some remediation in reading and spelling so I will not be able to read everything to DS13 and baby sit him.

We tried in the Past:

Sonlight-loved the stories hated to read! I read everything to him and we talked about the books. He really remember alot. He would be studying the Eastern Hempishere. He doesn't want to study it.:confused: He wants modern history (like WWI and WWII). I liked the fact that he would have to start researching (somthing we haven't tackled yet)

Oak Meadow-He likes the content for 7th grade but it is very writing intensive. I could drop the writing. There again I would have to read it all to him. You can get the online program but you have to buy the whole package-($300) other wise he could use the kurzweil to read it. We used this last year and I only bought the history (they don't do this anymore).

Trisms (HM)-Holy smokes! I loved this but I would have to do so much work to adjust it and find the proper books that it would allow me little time to work with DS10.

Verticy-Why am I even looking at this! He hated it, I can't justify spending that much money on it when WE hated the history and didn't use the phonics. We will be using the writing though. It was so nice to have everything there and done for you! Oh, I wish 7th grade was better than 6th!

Why can they make something that I don't have to do so much changing up? And why must everything be so expensive! I looked at k12 but $300 for one history class is just wayyy too much. Help me put this in perspective:bigear:

Well this is what we have so far:

Apologia-General science(cd format) & Lapbook

Verticy Writing Green level

AAS 4 and 5

Computers & typing(increasing speed)

Phonics

CLE math 6

Ugh! I am going to go crazy soon.I want to find something and stick with it! I haven't even done that much planning for ds10. I am NOT looking forward to this year:glare:

Ok-DS13 had dsylexia and dsygraphia. We have tried every curriculum under the sun! Here we are 3 weeks before school and I can't figure out what I am going to use for history! I am bring home my ds10 this year and he needs some remediation in reading and spelling so I will not be able to read everything to DS13 and baby sit him.

We tried in the Past:

Sonlight-loved the stories hated to read! I read everything to him and we talked about the books. He really remember alot. He would be studying the Eastern Hempishere. He doesn't want to study it.:confused: He wants modern history (like WWI and WWII). I liked the fact that he would have to start researching (somthing we haven't tackled yet)

Oak Meadow-He likes the content for 7th grade but it is very writing intensive. I could drop the writing. There again I would have to read it all to him. You can get the online program but you have to buy the whole package-($300) other wise he could use the kurzweil to read it. We used this last year and I only bought the history (they don't do this anymore).

Trisms (HM)-Holy smokes! I loved this but I would have to do so much work to adjust it and find the proper books that it would allow me little time to work with DS10.

Verticy-Why am I even looking at this! He hated it, I can't justify spending that much money on it when WE hated the history and didn't use the phonics. We will be using the writing though. It was so nice to have everything there and done for you! Oh, I wish 7th grade was better than 6th!

Why can they make something that I don't have to do so much changing up? And why must everything be so expensive! I looked at k12 but $300 for one history class is just wayyy too much. Help me put this in perspective:bigear:

Well this is what we have so far:

Apologia-General science(cd format) & Lapbook

Verticy Writing Green level

AAS 4 and 5

Computers & typing(increasing speed)

Phonics

CLE math 6

Ugh! I am going to go crazy soon.I want to find something and stick with it! I haven't even done that much planning for ds10. I am NOT looking forward to this year:glare:

Does your son type? Typing has been the best method for writing for my dysgraphic son. Instead of a reading intensive history, why not just pick a good textbook and let him work through that? My ds took an online history class that used a standard high school text for world history. He enjoyed the short reading passages - they added in research which required more reading, but you could tailor a class to meet your sons dyslexia needs. Also, you can find so many good historical audio books. That might help fulfill the reading portion.

Personally, I would find something that interested him. If he is interested in the World War, you might consider Sonlight 300 (?) 20th Century history. The DK spine would be easy to read and you could just do some of the books - maybe those you could find on audio - tweak it for a 7th grader. Remember, he is just in 7th. He will need to take history again in high school. Don't stress over it at this level. :grouphug:

:grouphug: It's difficult to have such pressures and feel kind of defeated in advance of even beginning to school year. I sympathize. And I have a few suggestions to offer based on my dd, who was given an official dysgraphia diagnosis at eleven (at fifteen she's now doing fine). She's not dyslexic, but we did have to adjust her reading load through about age 13 due to visual processing issues (now also mostly resolved).

For a dyslexic, dysgraphic teen, I'd cut down on the reading aspect of history -- and even literature -- as much as possible. There are some superb documentaries on the Depression, World Wars I and II, the 1920s -- most of them we have gotten free through our library system. The Teaching Company has a lecture course on history for high schoolers; I've not used it, but you can search the forums for reviews. Many history books (not textbooks) are downloadable on audible; you could start with something like "Don't Know Much About History" for a base and branch out from there, perhaps working in some material on Russia, China, and Japan since he's interested in World War II. Or use documentaries as your spine, and then let him research to his heart's content. If he's writing for other subjects, I'd also ease up on requiring essays for history as well, and brainstorm with him other ways that he can present what he's learned to you: research notes, Power Point presentation, a page of resources with short descriptions of each, a "tour guide" to a recovered plane or ship or something from a war, a series of maps, etc.

As important as reading is, I'd lighten his lit load also. Audiobooks are your friend! Many kids can listen to books far above their own reading ability, and books downloaded from audible are cheap; books downloaded or rented on CD from the library are free. As you say he remembers so well this way, take advantage of it and free up some time for you to work with your younger son. He could also use DVDs or Netflix to watch productions of a few plays and discuss them with you.

I've heard some people refer to Apologia science as very wordy -- I don't know it myself. But again, if this is the case, I'd attempt to lighten the load here too, and make him simultaneously more independent by substituting at least part of the time some good documentaries or books (again, not textbooks) for teens on the topic at hand that you can download, and some science kits like Nutshells that SWB recommends for the logic stage, or whatever labs come with Apologia. Instead of a textbook, use the contents of the Apologia book as a guide and find books for him to use on those same topics that are very visual in nature rather than textbook-like.

This would leave you to work with him intensively on reading, writing, and math, which is where I'd put most of my efforts anyway. And he wouldn't be shortchanged on any of the other subject content if he's simply accessing it in a different media or through books with different set-ups.

Any effort you expend in putting together a list of documentaries, films of plays or novels, science kits/labs, and downloadable books is going to pay off many, many times over during the year when you have the time to work with both your children -- not to mention saving the wear and tear on your voice! All that reading aloud -- you really are a heroine. I hope this makes you feel more hopeful that there are ways to make your upcoming year work out for all.

First off I would like to thank everyone who responded! Sometimes its nice to know you are not alone. My DS does type well we just need to increase his speed. He and his brother are going to learn about computers so they will be able to do power point, ect. With that said I am thinking about doing Story of the World 4 with the lesson book. I will supplement with movies and some living books. I am not sure if it will be to "mickey mouse" or not. We went over OM 7 this afternoon, and he said this is what he wants to do but, there is no way he can read it independently. I have research my heart out and unless we win lotto we can't aford to purchase the scanning version of kurzweil. I even looked into just scanning the pages in myself but our scanner does not support kurzweil. I know that I shouldn't be so upset over this but this is the first time he WANTED to study something, and he never ever has cared about school. So do you think Story of the world is too simple for 7th grade?

:grouphug: - I hear your concern and can relate!! I am in the process of doing the same thing this week for our son - so, sorry I don't have any advice. I am wondering about your thoughts on Verticy - I just recently found out about this and am considering the writing program for our son.

T

My 15yo son has dyslexia and dysgraphia also. I find what works best with him is to vary the types of work I have him do very little. So, for example, this past year for American history, I read the textbook to him (he can read the text, but it is slow going) and he would write a summary of each chapter (he would end up reading the chapter while writing the summary). No comprehension questions, no projects, no tests. That way he knew what to expect from week to week. We also watched the Teaching Company lectures on US history. I also had him read a few supplemental books and I read a few more to him.

If you end up doing 20th century history, I *highly* recommend the K12 book The Human Odyssey: From Modern Times to Our Contemporary Era (you can buy it without enrolling in a course). It is short (28 chapters and 385 pages of text). I think it generally only took me about 30 minutes to read a chapter aloud (some chapters may have been more like 45). But what is great about it is that it reads aloud well and it is coherent and interesting. I don't know what his reading level is, but if you pair it with some compelling historical fiction at his level (or use audio books) as well as some good documentaries, it could make for a wonderful course. As for output, have him write short reports on topics he finds interesting. You can start where he is writing wise, even if that is just a sentence or paragraph and gradually expand the assignments over the course of the year. Allow him to use the word processor for everything (a life saver here!).

I also have a younger son to teach. I teach the younger one in the morning and the older one works independently. Then in the afternoon, I spend 2-3 hours with the older one. Several days each week I also read aloud something for literature to him before bed. It makes for a long day, but the results have been worth it.

I hope something in here helps.

:grouphug: - I hear your concern and can relate!! I am in the process of doing the same thing this week for our son - so, sorry I don't have any advice. I am wondering about your thoughts on Verticy - I just recently found out about this and am considering the writing program for our son.

The writing is the best part of the curriculum! It took my son from a non writer to writing paragraphs. It is expensive but well worth every penny. There are a few others on this board who use it an agree. We are continuing this year with it and we will work through all the levels. I just can not say enough about it!

:grouphug: It's difficult to have such pressures and feel kind of defeated in advance of even beginning to school year. I sympathize. And I have a few suggestions to offer based on my dd, who was given an official dysgraphia diagnosis at eleven (at fifteen she's now doing fine). She's not dyslexic, but we did have to adjust her reading load through about age 13 due to visual processing issues (now also mostly resolved).

For a dyslexic, dysgraphic teen, I'd cut down on the reading aspect of history -- and even literature -- as much as possible. There are some superb documentaries on the Depression, World Wars I and II, the 1920s -- most of them we have gotten free through our library system. The Teaching Company has a lecture course on history for high schoolers; I've not used it, but you can search the forums for reviews. Many history books (not textbooks) are downloadable on audible; you could start with something like "Don't Know Much About History" for a base and branch out from there, perhaps working in some material on Russia, China, and Japan since he's interested in World War II. Or use documentaries as your spine, and then let him research to his heart's content. If he's writing for other subjects, I'd also ease up on requiring essays for history as well, and brainstorm with him other ways that he can present what he's learned to you: research notes, Power Point presentation, a page of resources with short descriptions of each, a "tour guide" to a recovered plane or ship or something from a war, a series of maps, etc.

As important as reading is, I'd lighten his lit load also. Audiobooks are your friend! Many kids can listen to books far above their own reading ability, and books downloaded from audible are cheap; books downloaded or rented on CD from the library are free. As you say he remembers so well this way, take advantage of it and free up some time for you to work with your younger son. He could also use DVDs or Netflix to watch productions of a few plays and discuss them with you.

I've heard some people refer to Apologia science as very wordy -- I don't know it myself. But again, if this is the case, I'd attempt to lighten the load here too, and make him simultaneously more independent by substituting at least part of the time some good documentaries or books (again, not textbooks) for teens on the topic at hand that you can download, and some science kits like Nutshells that SWB recommends for the logic stage, or whatever labs come with Apologia. Instead of a textbook, use the contents of the Apologia book as a guide and find books for him to use on those same topics that are very visual in nature rather than textbook-like.

This would leave you to work with him intensively on reading, writing, and math, which is where I'd put most of my efforts anyway. And he wouldn't be shortchanged on any of the other subject content if he's simply accessing it in a different media or through books with different set-ups.

Any effort you expend in putting together a list of documentaries, films of plays or novels, science kits/labs, and downloadable books is going to pay off many, many times over during the year when you have the time to work with both your children -- not to mention saving the wear and tear on your voice! All that reading aloud -- you really are a heroine. I hope this makes you feel more hopeful that there are ways to make your upcoming year work out for all.

Wow! This was really well written and good advice. Does somebody have a special needs blog out there that you could guest post this on? I don't want this to get buried on the internet.

You basically described everything my MIL did for my BIL at that age, but she had to figure out what to do on her own.

I'm in the same boat with my 13yo dyslexic. She is reading and writing at grade level now, but she absolutely HATES to read anything aside from what likes (and she's quite picky). My other girls occasionally grumbled about things they didn't care for, but nothing like this dd. She can NOT force herself through a book she doesn't like.

Right now I know she's going to do guitar lessons, sewing class, photography class, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and continue seeing her counselor for anxiety. She'll also see her rheumatologist every 2 months to see if the PT and OT help with the pain she's been experiencing.

She's working through Uncle Dan's Algebra I right now. It's been working better than anything else I've tried with her in the past year.

I want her to choose between CPO and Prentice Hall Science Explorer for Physical Science.

I'm probably going to have her watch documentaries for history. Otherwise we'll do SOTW3-4.

I'm strongly considering having her read through Glencoe Reader's Choice Course 3 for 8th grade. It would be pretty light reading, just about 30 pages/week. She could definitely handle the reading load. I just don't know if I'd be able to get her to actually read it.

First off I would like to thank everyone who responded! Sometimes its nice to know you are not alone. My DS does type well we just need to increase his speed. He and his brother are going to learn about computers so they will be able to do power point, ect. With that said I am thinking about doing Story of the World 4 with the lesson book. I will supplement with movies and some living books. I am not sure if it will be to "mickey mouse" or not. We went over OM 7 this afternoon, and he said this is what he wants to do but, there is no way he can read it independently. I have research my heart out and unless we win lotto we can't aford to purchase the scanning version of kurzweil. I even looked into just scanning the pages in myself but our scanner does not support kurzweil. I know that I shouldn't be so upset over this but this is the first time he WANTED to study something, and he never ever has cared about school. So do you think Story of the world is too simple for 7th grade?

We did not find Story of the World 4 too simple for 7th grade. I think supplementing it with movies and maybe a few living books (you could use Sonlight Core 7 titles if you wanted) is an excellent way to meet your goals.

Wow! This was really well written and good advice. Does somebody have a special needs blog out there that you could guest post this on? I don't want this to get buried on the internet.

You basically described everything my MIL did for my BIL at that age, but she had to figure out what to do on her own.

You are very kind! I, too, have been fumbling around trying to figure things out in terms of what works best for dd. Other posters on the boards -- especially JennW and Corraleno -- have been brilliant in offering support and advice. But you're right, there is no single easily accessible place for all this type of information to be put together for parents.