Menu

St. Louis Question

We are headed down to the Belleville Il/St. Louis MO area next month. I see that the Science Center and Art Museum are both in Forest Park. Is it possible to park (preferably free parking) and walk between the two?

ETA: I see from Google Maps we probably won't be walking between them but it does look like we can take the bus.

Kelly

Edited by kwiech

I don't know the answer to your question, but...we visited the St. Louis Science Center this summer and I was quite impressed. Are you a member of any museum that participates in the ASCI reciprocal program? We were treated like royalty when I showed my IN State Museum card! (Free parking, for one thing.) You'll enjoy your visit there.

We didn't go to the Art Museum as we were only in St. Louis a short time. If you go to the Arch, be sure to check on the tram system. I found out after we rode on it (and witnessed a short malfunction) that people had been stuck on the thing just a few days before. I'm not a fan of heights and would NEVER have gone up if I'd known that!

Enjoy your trip.

I don't know the answer to your question, but...we visited the St. Louis Science Center this summer and I was quite impressed. Are you a member of any museum that participates in the ASCI reciprocal program? We were treated like royalty when I showed my IN State Museum card! (Free parking, for one thing.) You'll enjoy your visit there.

We didn't go to the Art Museum as we were only in St. Louis a short time. If you go to the Arch, be sure to check on the tram system. I found out after we rode on it (and witnessed a short malfunction) that people had been stuck on the thing just a few days before. I'm not a fan of heights and would NEVER have gone up if I'd known that!

Enjoy your trip.

I think we will go to the arch but not the tram. I'm originally from the Belleville Il (until I was 11) area but have never been up in the arch. I love the arch and their Lewis and Clark exhibit. So very cool.

We are members of the Science Center here. I'll have to remember to bring our card.

I did see there is a trolley system between all the parts of the park. Very cool. I think the kids will love that.

Kelly

We are headed down to the Belleville Il/St. Louis MO area next month. I see that the Science Center and Art Museum are both in Forest Park. Is it possible to park (preferably free parking) and walk between the two?

ETA: I see from Google Maps we probably won't be walking between them but it does look like we can take the bus.

Kelly

here's a map.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov//parks/forestpark/ForestParkMap.pdf

It would be a hike. I personally wouldn't take the bus because the price to park isn't that bad, $9 at the Science Center for the vehicle. It will probably cost just as much to take the bus. And admission to both venues is free. There is free parking at the Art Museum.

I think it would be about a mile between the two. If you park at the planetarium (there is a walking bridge that goes across the interstate, one side is the science museum, one side is the planetarium - both buildings are connected), the parking used to be free. I'm not sure if it still is, though.

here's a map.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov//parks/forestpark/ForestParkMap.pdf

It would be a hike. I personally wouldn't take the bus because the price to park isn't that bad, $9 at the Science Center for the vehicle. It will probably cost just as much to take the bus. And admission to both venues is free. There is free parking at the Art Museum.

That sounds good. Last year when we went to the zoo parking was a zoo. I was afraid parking for each place was going to be $10 or more and that would get a bit pricey if visiting more than one attraction in a day.

Kelly

I think it would be about a mile between the two. If you park at the planetarium (there is a walking bridge that goes across the interstate, one side is the science museum, one side is the planetarium - both buildings are connected), the parking used to be free. I'm not sure if it still is, though.

Yes, parking is still free on the north side of I-64/40, but the lot isn't huge, so you may want to get there early if you will be there during peak hours. I took my kids a couple of weeks ago on a weekday and we got there when it opened and had our pick of the free parking spaces. Plus the kids like going across the bridge over the interstate anyway.

Even if you park in this lot on the Forest Park side of the Science Center, I think it would be quite a bit more than a mile to the Art Museum. I wouldn't particularly want to walk it in the STL August humidity, but that's just me. As a pp said, I think there is also free parking around the Art Museum (though I haven't been there in a long time), so I wouldn't think it too difficult to get your vehicle closer to it.

One tidbit of history that I recently learned is that the Art Museum is the only one of the 15 palaces built for the 1904 World's Fair that was built to be permanent, and is still around for us to enjoy today. It was the Palace of Fine Arts. I couldn't believe I've lived in Missouri most of my life and didn't know that until recently.

Hijacking a bit- we're planning a visit son- just a two day getaway. Hotel or food recommendations? We like pretty nice hotels and local food- no chains or anything. What is regional St. Louis food?

I'm from Missouri, not St. Louis, so I'm not an expert. But I've always heard of people going to an area known as 'The Hill'. The area is ethnically Italian and has authentic Italian food.

One food that I know of that originated in St. Louis is Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.

I'm from Missouri, not St. Louis, so I'm not an expert. But I've always heard of people going to an area known as 'The Hill'. The area is ethnically Italian and has authentic Italian food.

I love Gooey Butter Cake. We haven't been able to get good gooey butter cake since we left that area.

Kelly

I love Gooey Butter Cake. We haven't been able to get good gooey butter cake since we left that area.

Kelly

Okay, that is about the ONLY thing I miss in that area! :D

Last time any of us were in Belleville, it had become a ghost town to what it had been....particularly West Belleville.

Okay, that is about the ONLY thing I miss in that area! :D

Last time any of us were in Belleville, it had become a ghost town to what it had been....particularly West Belleville.

Sort of funny/weird story. Last year when we were visiting family we stopped at a gas station in Belleville on the way to St. Louis. There were these two guys talking (one was the gas station attendant). The other guy was talking about how he had his eye poked with a sharp object during a fight. It was going to heal.

He said this was the 2nd fight he'd been in and had his eye stabbed. He kept saying that he had to get into the fight because it would have been dishonorable not to.

I think I'd rather lose some self respect than my eye. Of course, he may be in a gang which I guess he'd lose his life if he didn't fight.

I'm sure I could find the same sort of story in Des Moines but Belleville used to be a calm, smallish town. That was over 25 years ago though.

Kelly

Sort of funny/weird story. Last year when we were visiting family we stopped at a gas station in Belleville on the way to St. Louis. There were these two guys talking (one was the gas station attendant). The other guy was talking about how he had his eye poked with a sharp object during a fight. It was going to heal.

He said this was the 2nd fight he'd been in and had his eye stabbed. He kept saying that he had to get into the fight because it would have been dishonorable not to.

I think I'd rather lose some self respect than my eye. Of course, he may be in a gang which I guess he'd lose his life if he didn't fight.

I'm sure I could find the same sort of story in Des Moines but Belleville used to be a calm, smallish town. That was over 25 years ago though.

Kelly

Yeah, things have changed a lot. 15yrs ago, I was stalked while 7mos pregnant by a guy from the bus station.

Hi, Kelly! Personally, I think that it is too far to walk between the St. Louis Art Museum and the Science Center. I've never taken the tram/trolley bus, but I just looked it up on the Art Museum website. Here are a couple of links in case they are helpful:

http://www.slam.org/Visit/gettinghere.php (scroll just past the map to where it says, "Forest Park Trolley"

http://www.slam.org/Visit/files/forest-park-traffic-relief-and-trolley-route.pdf

As I said, I'm not familiar with the trolley, but I do know about driving in Forest Park. There is plenty of free parking around the Art Museum. Some of the lots right around the Art Museum are closed right now due to construction for an expansion. The lots that are left tend to fill quickly, but one can always park on the street and walk a bit. Bluezoo5 was right about the parking around the Science Center. There is free parking on at the Planetarium on the north side of I-64/40, but it fills quickly upon opening. The Planetarium is connected by a bridge that goes over I-64/40 to the Science Center on the other side of the highway. There is plenty of parking at the Science Center, but it is a paid lot (can't remember how much - I'm sure the website would say). Years ago, I remember that one could also park along the street in front of the Science Center for free and walk, but I don't know if that can still be done. I always opt for the pay lot if I can't get parking at the Planetarium.

HTH! Have fun!

Edited by AmeliaBinMO

Yes, The Hill is fun. And a recent thread had a discussion of the best local pizza places. Also, Ted Drewes for frozen custard.

You can park at one, visit it, then go park at the other and visit it.

I would agree but last year when we were there parking was chaos. I didn't think we'd have much trouble first thing in the morning. My fear is driving to the other mid day and having to find parking. I also didn't want to pay $11 to park at each place. It looks like each attraction has different prices for parking or free parking for some.

Kelly

Going to the Science Center or Zoo first thing , then to the Art Museum (which DEFINITELY has free parking).

There are many, many winding roads inside Forest Park, and people just parallel park along them. The far side entrance of the Zoo (opposite of the interstate--there's some huge) is within a short hike of the Art Museum. We've parked in the Art Museum parking lot and hiked to the zoo easily.

Another option is for the driver to drop off the group at the entrance and then hike from her parking spot. Generally, if you are able to hike 3 blocks on a weekday, you should not have difficulty finding a parking space.

Remember, the attractions in Forest Park are free (or shall we say, supported by tax dollars)--so you really are getting quite a deal to see the Science Center, Art Museum and Zoo at no cost!

Here's a map of the park:

http://www.stlzoo.org/pictureview/7630.htm

Also, the Muny is a great evening destination!

I would agree but last year when we were there parking was chaos. I didn't think we'd have much trouble first thing in the morning. My fear is driving to the other mid day and having to find parking. I also didn't want to pay $11 to park at each place. It looks like each attraction has different prices for parking or free parking for some.

Kelly

Like a pp said: The Art Museum has free parking. The Zoo has paid parking, but you don't have to use it. The Science Center has free parking (at least on the Park side of the highway, the old side...the new side, I think has paid parking). And there is parking all throughout the park if you just park along the road.

Like a pp said: The Art Museum has free parking. The Zoo has paid parking, but you don't have to use it. The Science Center has free parking (at least on the Park side of the highway, the old side...the new side, I think has paid parking). And there is parking all throughout the park if you just park along the road.

I know. I was just saying that I was afraid that the parking would be high but now I know it isn't. I still think the kids would love the trolley and then I wouldn't have to move the car.

Remember, the attractions in Forest Park are free (or shall we say, supported by tax dollars)--so you really are getting quite a deal to see the Science Center, Art Museum and Zoo at no cost!

I know this but my dh is, um, frugal and anything over $20 for parking would give him a heart attack. I'm very glad to find out it won't be that bad. He also doesn't like crowds, traffic and parking so that is why I want to just park and go and not have to worry about driving around finding parking.

I know it all sounds very silly but we are visiting my family so I'm trying to make it as stress free for him as possible. He's an engineer and likes to have things planned out to the smallest detail. I had to laugh at him on one of our mini vacations. He was so excited and proud of himself because we were being spontaneous... meaning we didn't know where we were going for dinner. We just started driving and decided where to go when we saw it :tongue_smilie:

The Hill is a good place to get Italian food. Another good place to get ethnic local family friendly food is on South Grand Avenue. Lemongrass, Pho Grand, the King and I are really good resturants on Grand Avenue. There is also a Persian restaurant as well as several African restaurants that I can't remember the names of of that are on South Grand.

Oh, the Persian restaurant is called Grand Mediterrian Kabob Restaurant. And one of the African restaurants is an Ethopian restaurant called Meskerem.

STL is known for STL style pizza, but I can't recommend it. I personally abhor the stuff!:tongue_smilie:

Enjoy your visit.

I know. I was just saying that I was afraid that the parking would be high but now I know it isn't. I still think the kids would love the trolley and then I wouldn't have to move the car.

I know this but my dh is, um, frugal and anything over $20 for parking would give him a heart attack. I'm very glad to find out it won't be that bad. He also doesn't like crowds, traffic and parking so that is why I want to just park and go and not have to worry about driving around finding parking.

I know it all sounds very silly but we are visiting my family so I'm trying to make it as stress free for him as possible. He's an engineer and likes to have things planned out to the smallest detail. I had to laugh at him on one of our mini vacations. He was so excited and proud of himself because we were being spontaneous... meaning we didn't know where we were going for dinner. We just started driving and decided where to go when we saw it :tongue_smilie:

OK, I must admit, this is my idea of being spontaneous. My DH could just hop in the car and drive, but I must have everything planned out.

If you don't arrive in time for the free planetarium parking, if you are members of your local ASCI, they will validate your parking for the paid lot. Tickets for the discovery room (baby-six) and planetarium shows are also free for ASCI members. I think that there may be a discount for Lego Mindstorms but my kids aren't old enough. We've never had an issue parking for the Art Museum--usually we've parked at the Art Museum and walked to the zoo.

The Hill and South Grand are great for food. We had some great Bedoin cuisine last time we were on South Grand but I can't remember the name of the place, Meskerem and Pho Grand are awesome as well.

Christine W

Hijacking a bit- we're planning a visit son- just a two day getaway. Hotel or food recommendations? We like pretty nice hotels and local food- no chains or anything. What is regional St. Louis food?

I grew up near Belleville and lived in St Louis while I got my MS. My family all still live in the area. We stayed over Memorial weekend and the Drury Inn was fantastic. We stayed at the Drury in O'Fallon - just northeast from Belleville and it's easier to get to/from St. Louis from there because it's right off 64. They had huge rooms, free popcorn and drinks and free dinner in the evening, free breakfast in the am. Indoor and outdoor pool.

Regional St Louis food - you can eat Italian on the Hill. I miss the sandwiches at Amighettis. http://www.amighettis.com/

Don't miss Ted Drewes for frozen custard

IMO the rest of the food is typical midwest fare.

If you get to the zoo early, the parking is so so much easier. STL is not a walking town. The Science center is pretty cool.

Have a great visit!

I grew up near Belleville and lived in St Louis while I got my MS. My family all still live in the area. We stayed over Memorial weekend and the Drury Inn was fantastic. We stayed at the Drury in O'Fallon - just northeast from Belleville and it's easier to get to/from St. Louis from there because it's right off 64. They had huge rooms, free popcorn and drinks and free dinner in the evening, free breakfast in the am. Indoor and outdoor pool.

Regional St Louis food - you can eat Italian on the Hill. I miss the sandwiches at Amighettis. http://www.amighettis.com/

If you get to the zoo early, the parking is so so much easier. STL is not a walking town. The Science center is pretty cool.

Have a great visit!

If you stay on the Illinois side of the river and want pizza, then look for Schiappa's (they have a Lebanon and an O'Fallon location. I don't know if they've branched out anymore, as it's been almost six years since I've been). It's Italian family owned and the father is a wonderful man.

Have a great visit!

This is so helpful! Thanks so much!!

If you stay on the Illinois side of the river and want pizza, then look for Schiappa's (they have a Lebanon and an O'Fallon location. I don't know if they've branched out anymore, as it's been almost six years since I've been). It's Italian family owned and the father is a wonderful man.

My guys could eat pizza every single day- so this is surely going on our list. Thanks!

I can help you with this! My husband worked there most of last year and we visited St. Louis a lot!

Start by parking on the street next the zoo. It's allowed and encouraged(check the zoo website), but the free street parking fills up fast and people end up going to the parking spots when they can't find anything. Also, there are parts of the zoo that are only free the first hour it is open (carousel, etc).

Then I would go over to the science museum and park in their lot. If you have a reciprocal science museum pass from your city, the science museum will validate your parking and it will be free. I also recommend the fruit, veggie, peanut butter meals at the Kaldi's at the museum. We got a couple of them for our family to share and they were surprisingly filling.

Oh, and if you go to St. Louis and like coffee, you really should try a latte at a Kaldi's. The one I'm familiar with is in Chesterfield at Boone's Crossing. I would not try one at the science museum (it's more of a fast food stand there and the coffee isn't made the same).

Also, Grant's farm is really fun for the kids (ride along safari with animals that are right next to you), but the line is long. You don't have to pay for the lot if you are willing to park and walk along the trail there just outside the park.