Menu

Poll: Who has done alternative for Health Reasons?

Have you used one or all of these?  

1. 1. Have you used one or all of these?

• I've had acupuncture done.
    • I've gone to a Naturopath.
    • I've had chiropractic treatment.
    • I've used Chinese Medicine.

I've taken my son to a Naturopath for ongoing treatment, and would consider seeing a Naturopath myself if I had a need to see a doctor.

We also use natural/alternative treatments for colds, the flu, and whatever else ails us - antibiotics and other western medicines are a last resort for us at this point.

We haven't always approached medical care this way - it's been a slow progression and we've been on the "alternative" side of things for the past year or so now. My DH is still staunchly in the western medicine camp for the most part, but he's been more willing to try some alternative treatments as of late and he's fine with whatever I decide to do for the kids and myself. Works for me. :)

Edited by Dandelion

We've used many alternative meds/treatments in the last 12 yrs. We started down this road due to our oldest ds's medical problems. Here is the list:

- dietary changes and supplements

- Tomatis auditory training

- sublingual drops for allergies and food intolerances

- vision therapy

- cranial sacial treatments(I can never spell that one correctly)

- CES (cranial electrical stimulation)

- SOMONAS

- mild chelation

- herbal and homeopathic medicines (using a homeopathic dr.)

- chiropractor (I love chiropractors!)

We are saving up for neurofeedback next summer. Some of the treatments we did were alternative at the time we did them and now they are more mainstream. I'm glad people no longer have to fight as hard as we did to find and receive this type of medical care.

Denise

I delved into alternative health when I found myself with a medically complicated special needs child. This was well before I thought of homeschooling. His needs were my original motivation for homeschooling as well though.

Edited by sbgrace

Two of my DSs and DH were all on lots of allergy medicine several years ago. My husband got really sick and lost 40+ pounds. We then went to a Naturopath, followed his dietary plan and my DSs and DH no longer take allergy medicine and my husband has never felt better. BTW, DH went to lots of doctors before going to the Naturopath, was on lots of different medications and nothing worked. (We do believe there is a time for medical doctors - we are not anti-medical doctor. We just know that there are better alternatives for many things).

I also had acupuncture when I was pregnant with baby #3. I was so sick, and it helped quite a bit. It didn't completely take away the nausea, but was certainly much better than previous pregnancies!

We go to the chiropractor regularly!

I've done chiropractic but it didn't make a bit of difference in my back. I tried three and moved back to conventional medicine for that.

It's not on the poll but I do use herbs a lot for my family and pets.

Hey Jennifer! :) Acupuncture for backs is what the study that we were being told about...was all about! ;) I even had my cat get acupuncture for her respiratory problem, because I was so convinced. (the next day at her vet appt)