Menu

Will/Do your children have good memories of homeschooling?

With how I have to discipline my 7 year old during school time, I'm really not sure LOL. I know for a fact she would not be like this for other people. At church and at homeschool group she is as quiet as a mouse and very compliant. At home....not so much. I hope that she won't hate homeschooling one day.

My daughter, who is 16 and whose homeschooling years are behind her said, "I don't have anything to compare it to, but sure."

My son, who is 13 and with whom I argue All. The. Time. about getting any schoolwork done, gave me a big thumbs up and said, "Yes!"

I asked if they thought, when they were adults, that they would still have positive feelings about having been homeschooled, and they both said they thought they would.

Now, as for how? I honestly don't know what to tell you. I've never been one of those homeschooling parents who thinks school should be fun all the time. We have always kept to schedules and had clear goals and expectations about the work they had to do. It's not like it's a party every day around here.

When they were younger, we had a few tough years with each of them, when math or writing or whatever provoked tears and arguments. And each of them got sent to his or her bedroom a lot!

However, we have always tried to take their interests and personalities into account when planning curriculum. I've tried to be fairly flexible about scheduling, and they've always been free to go do their reading in the hammock or read aloud to the pets or whatever, as long as the reading is done. We take school seriously, but we treat them with respect. And, whenever possible, we stop and laugh about things.

I truly like them and enjoy their company, and I think they would each say the same about me. I also love to learn, myself, and I've so much enjoyed sharing this journey with them. Maybe that helps, too?

And we've always been very, very clear with them about why we homeschool. When each one went through the "I want to go to school like normal kids" phase, we listened before we talked. And when we talked, we explained why we had made the choice to homeschool. (My son thought seriously about school for next year, and we were supportive this time. He ended up deciding to stay home, instead. So, nowadays, I can honestly say I have his buy-in, too.)

Making sure they looked back fondly wasn't the primary goal, but I did want to make sure they had good childhoods.

I'm afraid I'm babbling. I'll stop now.

I'm still just sitting here being kind of relieved that they both said yes!

I don't know if they'll have such pleasant memories of the "school" part, but my two olders, particularly, talk about how glad they were homeschooled, and for different reasons. Their reasons are more about the homeschooling atmosphere, freedom to be themselves, have a childhood, pursue their own interests, not get caught up in pop culture, dig deep into subject matter, and know us and their siblings so well. if they don't rave over the school part, that's fine with me. They talk about read-alouds and playing Robin Hood and connecting with other homeschooling families. They talk about making bread and learning to sew (not from me!) As my next ones move through high school, I'm guessing they'll have the same sort of memories, partly because the older girls have set that precedent.

DS, age 24 insists that he will not homeschool his children. (His wife was homeschooled about half or more of her K-12 years, so I don't know how she votes on this!) DS gives no reason.

DS, age 22 often thanks DH and me for having homeschooled him. He deeply appreciates our time, funds, and emotional sacrifices made on his behalf.

Making sure they looked back fondly wasn't the primary goal, but I did want to make sure they had good childhoods.

I'm afraid I'm babbling. I'll stop now.

I'm still just sitting here being kind of relieved that they both said yes!

:lol: I'll bet you are! LOL!

About the "good childhood" part, I think that is what we try to focus on here, too, along with just-do-it academics. No, they do not have to love it all (especially as they get older), but they have to do it. ;) I don't think you were babbling at all, and your experienced response helps put our beginning journey into perspective. Thank you.

Mine are still little, but they both say they will homeschool their children. I don't know if they will feel that way when they are older :)

Like others, it is not playtime/fun school all of the time here. But we do a lot of field trips, cool curriculum, social groups, friend time etc. I think they will remember that. I know they will remember all of the reading we do and the music we learned and the time at the library and listening to books on C.D. on car trips, etc.

I know I did not always like everything my parents did. There were things I said I would never do (like be so strict about what movies we could see and the fact that we weren't allowed to go to the mall and hang out with out adults when all of our friends could, etc.) But now as an adult I get it. I hope it will be like that for my children. That when they are parents they will want to do the good things that we did with them with their children the way I do the good things w/them that my mom did with us, kwim?

My son sometimes wishes he was in public school because I get impatient with him sometimes. He is very good at math. There is no reason for it to take 15 minutes to subtract 2 from 6 when when he can subtract 17 from 62 in seconds.:glare: He is only six, though, and doesn't understand that he would still be doing homework with the mean old momma. I'd say all the kids like our lifestyle in general - so far.