Menu

s/o of sherbet--lawyer

Do you pronounce lawyer as LAW-yer or LOI-yer?  

1. 1. Do you pronounce lawyer as LAW-yer or LOI-yer?

• You and your mom rock! It's LAW-yer, people!
    • Ha, ha, ha! You are weird and obviously destined to be a strange homeschooler. It's LOI-yer!
    • You're all wrong, it's...

I pronounce lawyer as LAW-yer. It seems like everyone else I know in the USA says LOI-er. I've been misunderstood (liar?) and laughed at for this over the years, but my English-major mother drilled it into me so heavily that I have never given it up!

LAW-yer is still the first pronunciation in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, and LOI-yer is second.

When I was in college, my best friend laughed at me and said, "You and your mom are the only people in the world who pronounce it that way!" I'm out to prove her wrong after all these years--there must be someone out there who's with me and my mom!

LAW-yer sounds as if it would be a Southern accent to me. I and everyone else (from the Midwest) I know have always said LOI-yer.

Lesley

Well, I'm Southern and I say LOI-yer:tongue_smilie::lol:. I live in the Midwest/Great Plains now and I still hear LOI-yer. If I am thinking about it I will say LAW-yer, but in casual conversation it is LOI-yer.

English major.

No accent...at least, no one's ever been able to guess by my speech where I come from. They usually guess somewhere in the Netherlands. :confused: (But I'm from TX)

LAW-yer. And I'm trying to think...I know I've heard it the other way, but I can't think of a NAME to put w/ it. So most of the people I know/have met pronounce it your way.

Sounds like you're hanging around too many Yankees. ;)

regional. does not matter. I use both without knowing ahead of time which pronunciation will emerge from my mouth.

Next we shall tackle AUNT. :D

Aunt is one of those that I use both but only because my dh says it one way and I say it another. I will often use it both ways in one sentence. I'm sure I'm destroying my kids : )

Actually, I'm teaching them grammar tolerance :tongue_smilie:

Kelly