Menu

Need some ideas re gifted asynchronous 6 year old

Halcyon

I am planning next year for my just-turned-6 year old son. He is easily bored, hands-on-oriented, and so unlike his older brother I just want to throw my hands up in the air sometimes. I feel like outside of our basics, which I insist he work on each day, I am just jumping around a lot.

I need ideas for creative, hands-on, and (please!) not too Mom-intensive curricula that don't cost a fortune. I have eyed Oak Meadow time and again, but the single-grade level thing puts me off, as my son is all over the map in terms of grade level. He reads at a 4th grade level, writes at a 2nd grade level, spells at a 5th grade level and is starting Singapore 2A in August. He reads for 2-3 hours a day, but is constantly asking for different crafts and hands-on activities. He likes to do so many different things and likes to move around between activities, so financially and practically speaking, it's just not possible to indulge (not quite the word I'm looking for) all his wishes and interests. For example, in the past week and a half he has 1) learned how to make friendship bracelets and made two 2) created a table out of newspaper for an engineering project 3) played with Snap Circuits for a few hours, creating his own circuits 4) began to learn how to knit 5) initiated his own experiment trying to make rainbow-colored vegetables 6) created a comic book called Dr. Doomtor 7) begun writing his own piano piece...this is in addition to working through WWE2, the last few pages of Singapore 1B and reading a ton, AND 3 1/2 hours of music camp each day.

Should I just keep on keeping on with what we're doing? I feel something is missing, but his learning style doesn't seem to be my learning style, so I just can't put my finger on it. My older child learns the way I learn, and is very receptive to my teaching style, and my younger seems to need a different approach. When I visualize how his brain works, I see a "spider" approach, with arms reaching and connecting in seemingly random ways, connections being made in ways that I am unable to see but he can. My older son's approach (similar to mine) is very linear--we work through one thing, then the next.

Some curriculum that I have perused and might use for him, in addition to our basics, include:

1) Oak Meadow

2) Moving Beyond the Page (just started researching this, don't know much about it)

3) FIAR-he tends to like unit studies that incorporate a cross-curriculum approach.

4) some sort of unit-studies approach which is easy to implement that I don't know about? We have done a few unit studies, which he really enjoyed. I am not a Unit Studies fan, but I think if we continue to do our core curriculum of WWE, Singapore and SOTW that it could be feasible.

Does anyone have a child like this? How have you helped them?

Edited by Halcyon

Moving Beyond the Page is boring. Print out a sample and try it with him, but their "gifted" 5-7 samples were too boring and easy for my 3-year-old.

I stink at hands-on so no advice there, sorry. Maybe martial arts? How does he like the knitting? You could maybe expand to harder knitting, crochet, spinning with a drop spindle, or even going from a bit of raw wool, prepping it, carding it, spinning it on a drop spindle, dyeing it, and knitting it. ;)

Sounds like a wonderful little guy! I'd go with unit studies with your core curriculum. We do something similar with my non-sequential learners and it works well. You can read about how we do things here if you are interested.

Off to look. I do think Unit Studies are the way to go. Are there any Unit Studies curriculums you recommend? Waaay out of my element when it comes to those!

Off to look. I do think Unit Studies are the way to go. Are there any Unit Studies curriculums you recommend? Waaay out of my element when it comes to those!

I won't be much help there :tongue_smilie: I tend to make up my own. You can see an example of something I put together for science here and here is a geography related one on world poverty. It is time consuming though and you didn't want a time consuming option, right? From what I've heard Amanda Bennett studies are good.

As far as hands-on goes, one thing I do is that, in the next few weeks, Hobby Lobby and Michaels will have all their VBS/Summer camp stuff very, very discounted. I go with DD and we stock up on all these little crafty, fun items, which she can use any way she wants. A lot of times you can get bulk packs of beads, feathers, paint, and other basics that were camp labeled very, very cheaply, as well as the kit-type stuff. I also shop the Oriental trading deep discounts section, but you have to be several months off where they're concerned to get the best deals.

Then, about once a month, we take her output over to a local seniors center-she visits, passes out her creations, and talks to them. It's great for her, and the seniors look forward to her visits. We see a lot of her little creations all over the building. The staff are especially good at directing her to those folks who really need an extra child in their lives.

I won't be much help there :tongue_smilie: I tend to make up my own. You can see an example of something I put together for science here and here is a geography related one on world poverty. It is time consuming though and you didn't want a time consuming option, right? From what I've heard Amanda Bennett studies are good.

Those are great. I don't mind putting the time in now, in the summer, when both boys are in camp. But I tend to not have time during the year (I work part-time). He loves lapbooks, and mini books, so i might try to create unit studies on the things he's most interested in: animals, music and composers, artists, and geography.

Thinking, thinking.....

Hi, You have a "wonder" child.:001_smile: I don't have any hands-on curriculum suggestions, but my kids love lapbooks, so we try to use them in our studies. We usually use several free ones and build one big lapbook covering a particular topic. My kids are fascinate with mummies, so they are going to mummify something this year and turn it in a science fair project.:confused:

"Life" science curriculum prom Pandia Press is very hands-on. My kids enjoyed it a lot.

Those are great. I don't mind putting the time in now, in the summer, when both boys are in camp. But I tend to not have time during the year (I work part-time). He loves lapbooks, and mini books, so i might try to create unit studies on the things he's most interested in: animals, music and composers, artists, and geography.

Thinking, thinking.....

Yes, yes. I work part-time as well and if I don't get things all put together in the summer it is a struggle to find the time.

This sounds weird, but do you own an exercise machine? Maybe you could set your kid up on an elliptical machine or one of those little trampolines from the 80s and have him listen to audio books you check out from the library. My son LOVES this. Of course, it rains a lot where we live so we have to think of a lot more inside activities than you would in Florida.

Here are some fun math ideas that would be free:

· http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/10/peanut-buttering-reducing-fractions/

· http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/07/outside-fraction-lesson/

I know some have had success using Weaver with asynchronous kids. I don't know how pricy it is, though. Worth looking into. I just buy each subject separately from various publishers and levels. I know, it can get very expensive, especially when they seem to stall for a while and then eat through 4 months worth in a week! :lol:

I know some have had success using Weaver with asynchronous kids. I don't know how pricy it is, though. Worth looking into. I just buy each subject separately from various publishers and levels. I know, it can get very expensive, especially when they seem to stall for a while and then eat through 4 months worth in a week! :lol:

What's Weaver? :bigear:

Thinking, thinking.....

How 'bout the homeschoolinthewoods lapbooks and unit studies? They're already organized, so you don't have to spend your time there.

MCT will probably eventually be a good fit for LA, and sounds like he may be ready to read through Island level lightly this coming year. For someone who thinks like that, MCT is a good fit, I start out with the basics with FLL and switch to MCT with some of the writing from WWE. I just wing it, but you'll probably want Satori's MCT schedule.

I would look at Spy Car's physics thread, it should have some good ideas for you!

MCT will probably eventually be a good fit for LA, and sounds like he may be ready to read through Island level lightly this coming year. For someone who thinks like that, MCT is a good fit, I start out with the basics with FLL and switch to MCT with some of the writing from WWE. I just wing it, but you'll probably want Satori's MCT schedule.

I would look at Spy Car's physics thread, it should have some good ideas for you!

Thanks, off to look.

I think the thing that's getting me right now is how much he moves around between things; I feel like just when I get a handle on something he enjoys, he wants to move to something else. So there's never _one_ solution, and I'm tired LOL.

Thanks, off to look.

I think the thing that's getting me right now is how much he moves around between things; I feel like just when I get a handle on something he enjoys, he wants to move to something else. So there's never _one_ solution, and I'm tired LOL.

I think that will be a common feeling for years to come :lol:.

And re MCT-I know NOTHING about it-I mean, I've looked at it a bit, but when I decided that it wasn't a fit for my older, I stopped looking. What components would you recommend? Oh wait-i see you recommended I look at Angela's schedule. Will do.

You pretty much described my DS, now 9.5-years-old.

Hands-on stuff:

Felting projects (with cheap felt pieces from craft store; we love the book "Fa la la la Felt" for easy projects.)

Baking and cupcake decorating

Zentangles (http://www.zentangle.com/gallery.php ink drawings)

Working with wire and/or metal - ex: making mobiles (I found a number of cheap/used books on jewelry making and plan to have DS expand into mobiles.)

Lapbooks/unit studies from HomeschoolShare

You mentioned tennis and yoga. What about golf?

You pretty much described my DS, now 9.5-years-old.

Hands-on stuff:

Felting projects (with cheap felt pieces from craft store; we love the book "Fa la la la Felt" for easy projects.)

Baking and cupcake decorating

Zentangles (http://www.zentangle.com/gallery.php ink drawings)

Working with wire and/or metal - ex: making mobiles (I found a number of cheap/used books on jewelry making and plan to have DS expand into mobiles.)

Lapbooks/unit studies from HomeschoolShare

You mentioned tennis and yoga. What about golf?

Thank you for all these suggestions. I hadn't thought of felting-great idea. I have used some of those lapbooks before, and will have to get more prepped--I also like the Simple Schooling ones on currclick. Re golf--we play mini golf and he loves it! Right now, though, I am looking for more in-the-house activities that will engage him when I'm schooling with older. They don't have to be 100% independent. I guess I am also just trying to figure out this kid! :confused:

And re MCT-I know NOTHING about it-I mean, I've looked at it a bit, but when I decided that it wasn't a fit for my older, I stopped looking. What components would you recommend? Oh wait-i see you recommended I look at Angela's schedule. Will do.

The whole Island basic package. The books are all different, but share common themes. It's a way to do LA just like you talked about how he learns--a bit of vocab one day, a bit of his version of diagraming the next, working on how sentences work the next, poetry the next, but all tied into the concepts first introduced in the Grammar book, which you work through before moving on to the other things.

The new MCT Literature Program looks like it will be slightly different but also tie in these things, too. The samples look good. I have ordered it but do not have it yet, so can't tell for sure.

The whole Island basic package. The books are all different, but share common themes. It's a way to do LA just like you talked about how he learns--a bit of vocab one day, a bit of his version of diagraming the next, working on how sentences work the next, poetry the next, but all tied into the concepts first introduced in the Grammar book, which you work through before moving on to the other things.

The new MCT Literature Program looks like it will be slightly different but also tie in these things, too. The samples look good. I have ordered it but do not have it yet, so can't tell for sure.

ooooh that Island package does look good. Pricey, but good. I will have to scour the Used Curriculum board.

ooooh that Island package does look good. Pricey, but good. I will have to scour the Used Curriculum board.

Yes, it is a bit pricey, but worth it! It was $120 for the basic package when I bought it, but I just bought Town even with the new prices, it's well worth the money to us, it has made LA much more enjoyable. Hopefully you will find someone selling their old Island to buy Town!!

Thanks to you all, I am in the process of ordering MCT Island-I am only missing the Music of the Hemispheres after buying the other components on the Used Curriculum Board....and realizing that I owned Building Language (tried it on my older, and it was a bust). I even read part of Building Language to my younger and it seems to be a hit...I will keep you all posted.

We also got Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction and seriously, probably the best 10 bucks I've ever spent. Both boys have been making slingshots and bow and arrows for two days straight. Younger is right now writing his own book of his own creations.

Thanks to all these ideas. Keep em coming.

We also got Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction and seriously, probably the best 10 bucks I've ever spent. Both boys have been making slingshots and bow and arrows for two days straight. Younger is right now writing his own book of his own creations.

Thanks to all these ideas. Keep em coming.

I know my kids would love that, but I think the neighborhood would be destroyed in a week :lol:.