Menu

Workboxes - what do you use??

abrightmom

We use these. Sorry the link shows them out of stock. I got mine at Target - but they were on clearance (which made me happy price-wise). I stack two units per kid (total 14 drawers each child). I love them because they are 12x12 so they fit most books - even the oversized ones. I also love the lids, so if we need to we can just grab one and go. They won't spill, and the kids can use the lid as a desk when we're out of the house.

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/book+rack+set.do?sortby=ourPicks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Ice-Cube-Bin-White/16206958 (these run about $1.80 each)

http://www.stepstoliteracy.com/GroupProducts/Plastic-Book-Box.aspx

These are some of the things I am considering. I used regular bins with lids and drawers before. It may sound silly, but for me opening all those drawers or taking the tops off of bins, was one extra step. This year, I want to make

it as easy to use as possible.

I'm also thinking about something like this: in the picture look at the cubes which have about five shelves. I like both the vertical and horizontal.

http://www.michaels.com/Jetmax-Modular-Storage/sb0638,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=products-scrapbooking-storage

we use this 10 drawer rolling scrapbook cart http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP73462321.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_content=%7Badtype%7D

I bought them at Joann's black friday sale for $35 each. Love that they roll away. Love that the drawers fit all the books and materials nicely. And they take us so much less room than our old shoebox style workboxes that we originally had. I stick the velcroed numbers on the left side of the drawers. When they finish a drawer, they stick the matching number on the right side. Then we can easily tell at a glance which ones they done and what is left.

we use this 10 drawer rolling scrapbook cart http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP73462321.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_content=%7Badtype%7D

I bought them at Joann's black friday sale for $35 each. Love that they roll away. Love that the drawers fit all the books and materials nicely. And they take us so much less room than our old shoebox style workboxes that we originally had. I stick the velcroed numbers on the left side of the drawers. When they finish a drawer, they stick the matching number on the right side. Then we can easily tell at a glance which ones they done and what is left.

I read that these drawers are somewhat flimsy and come off of the tracks easily. Has that been your experience or is everything going well? I am looking to invest in some sort of drawer system, but need something sturdy as my dc are little. Thanks!

I bought them at Joann's black friday sale for $35 each. Love that they roll away. Love that the drawers fit all the books and materials nicely. And they take us so much less room than our old shoebox style workboxes that we originally had.

I read that these drawers are somewhat flimsy and come off of the tracks easily. Has that been your experience or is everything going well? I am looking to invest in some sort of drawer system, but need something sturdy as my dc are little. Thanks!

I have these drawers, too. I love the colors. They don't come off the tracks but occasionally it takes two trys to get them back on the rack correctly. I've been using this for about 6 months. The drawers are light-weight but seem sturdy enough. The rack itself was getting a little wobbly from being knocked around a bit. A quick tightening with a hex wrench and it is as sturdy as ever.

My issue is that they are not deep enough to hold the box with our All About Spelling cards. I'm also trying to combine both kids in one rack but find I'm running out of room. I think I just need to suck it up and get a second rack.

Pam

I don't know about the milk crates, but last year I got something that looks a lot like milk crates, but I think were called locker crates. They had ridges which held files perfectly.

I didn't use these for workboxes, but did do files in plastic file holders. (Not sure the right term.) Anyway, for us, trying to do workboxes in the files was a big bomb. If you want to know more, I can tell you. Longish post. I do know it works well for others, though.

Last year we used 2 of these units from IKEA (not the 3 pictured) with only the green bins.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19873974

We use these green bins and LOVE them. We bought the clear lids so that we could stack them in the Expedit shelf. I felt like the Expedit shelf was something we could use in other parts of the house if we ever decided to rearrange the classroom. The great thing about the green bins is that they can stack on top of each other with the lids or they can nest inside of each other without them. It makes it much easier for my kids to stay organized once they are done with the workboxes.

we haven't had an issue with that except for one time in the very beginning- and then I realized I hadn't tightened everything properly. once I took the allen wrench and tightened it up, the drawers slid easily again. we have 3 sets of them and they've been used almost every day since last fall.

I don't have enough space in my schoolroom for all of my children and actual workboxes, so I modify the system a bit. I use very small plastic containers and index cards -- different colors for different subjects. I write the subject (math, spelling, etc.) on the index card, fill up their containers first thing in the morning and then they move the cards as they finish their work.

I love the look of the Ikea Trofast system for workboxes. I purchased the green bins once at a physical location and planned to order the shelves online. I had it all in my cart, they shipped to CO, but the day I was going to order, Trofast stopped being available on-line! Good thing they are coming to Denver this summer - Grand Opening is in just 3 days!

I'm going to Ikea tomorrow with my daughter to get the Trofast system. I'm going to order it with the three tall units side by side. Each child will get their bins, and there will be some bigger ones up high to hold math manipulatives, flashcards, etc.

I can't wait!!!

I use an all clear colored set of these. I went ahead and bought 3 of them (at sams for 29 per) just so I'd have 3 matching. DS2 has all his toddler activities in his and they hold up fine. DS1 had a lot of heavier books and things in his and they also do not have problems coming off track.

After reading all of this and having dh look at all of the options last night, this is what we decided. We are going to Atlanta for a homeschool conference this weekend and will make a side trip to IKEA to purchase the TROFAST bins. However, he will be building the shelves/frame to put them on. The white frame is not real wood, hence the lower price, and he thinks the wood ones priced quite high when he can build something better and custom to my needs for a lot less.

Thanks for all of the insight ladies, I am looking forward to my trip to IKEA. I haven't been in the US, only overseas!

After reading all of this and having dh look at all of the options last night, this is what we decided. We are going to Atlanta for a homeschool conference this weekend and will make a side trip to IKEA to purchase the TROFAST bins. However, he will be building the shelves/frame to put them on. The white frame is not real wood, hence the lower price, and he thinks the wood ones priced quite high when he can build something better and custom to my needs for a lot less.

Thanks for all of the insight ladies, I am looking forward to my trip to IKEA. I haven't been in the US, only overseas!

Oh you lucky duck!!! :)

There's a homeschool conference this weekend????

Oh you lucky duck!!! :)

There's a homeschool conference this weekend????

Yup, the Southeast Homeschool Expo. I've been hsing 12 years & never been to a convention or conference. We are making a mini-vacation out of it, hotel and all! Older dd is excited because her "special treat" for graduating Kindergarten is a trip to the American Girl store. Dh just wants to veg. :tongue_smilie:

Yup, the Southeast Homeschool Expo. I've been hsing 12 years & never been to a convention or conference. We are making a mini-vacation out of it, hotel and all! Older dd is excited because her "special treat" for graduating Kindergarten is a trip to the American Girl store. Dh just wants to veg. :tongue_smilie:

I want to go SO bad! If I weren't going to the Cape this week to see my folks, I'd hop on a plane Thursday night and go to this convention! (yes, my middle name is impulsive;))

• 8 months later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has established a new workbox system lately? If so, what product are you using? I was all set to order the clear 10 drawer rolling cart from Sam's Club online for $30, but it appears it's not available online.