Menu

TSA...

We flew out of Seattle and Dulles last week. At both airports, the new scanners were not being used. Everyone not in a wheelchair was filed through the old metal detectors. In Dulles there must have been 30 TSA employees just standing around casually chatting here and there. There were at least 8 scanners not in use.

I am 100% opposed to the use of the new scanners. But I have to wonder why, after spending all that money, they aren't being used at all times. It was a busy travel weekend.

Does anyone know the 'official' TSA policy?

If the scanners are so good that they're worth flushing our rights to privacy, why wouldn't they use them all the time?

Can't answer your question, but I appreciate that you shared. My dd will be traveling through Dulles later this month (without dh or me).

(Well, I can answer your question, but it would be something snarky about rampant government waste and officials who don't believe they have to answer to anyone. So I will be quiet. :glare:)

Flew international to and from US over the last two weeks, TSA was the most lax I've ever experienced.

Due to being late and in a hurry, I went through the metal detectors forgetting to remove my watch and a very large peuter/silver barrett from my hair. Normally, this is pull over and a search and extensive pat down. The metal detector didn't even ding. Shoes didn't come off. Liquids and containers in my carry-on went on without even being looked at. All they wanted was the laptop out of the carry-on. I was shocked actually. They were more concerned with my boarding pass than my water bottle, support hose, and knitting needles. I guess dehydrated knitting grannies with varicose veins aren't being profiled anymore.

We're flying out of Dulles on Tuesday...how bad were the lines to get through security?

thanks!

Rita

There was a line, but it was moving along steadily -- nothing I would consider a delay. No one went through any of the many (8 or 10?) scanners -- it was just metal detectors, shoes, computers, liquids. Fourth of July weekend and no scanners in use at my part of the terminal. (We flew United Airlines, I think we were at a C gate.)

I was amazed at the number of TSA people just standing around clearly not working.

Flew international to and from US over the last two weeks, TSA was the most lax I've ever experienced.

Due to being late and in a hurry, I went through the metal detectors forgetting to remove my watch and a very large peuter/silver barrett from my hair. Normally, this is pull over and a search and extensive pat down. The metal detector didn't even ding. Shoes didn't come off. Liquids and containers in my carry-on went on without even being looked at. All they wanted was the laptop out of the carry-on. I was shocked actually. They were more concerned with my boarding pass than my water bottle, support hose, and knitting needles. I guess dehydrated knitting grannies with varicose veins aren't being profiled anymore.

I accidentally brought containers of applesauce and some hand cream. No one noticed them. I realized it later once we were on the plane.

And why do they need the laptops out? Why a laptop but not an iphone or DVD player? Is it so the laptop isn't inadvertently banged around?

of the large shape and the density of the electronics within the computer. It simply obscures the rest of the stuff in the bag. Removing the computer to a another bin also eliminates the "you handled my bag too roughly and now my computer doesn't work properly" complaint. While I've had bags handled roughly, the bin with computer is never touched by anyone other than me.

I went on an airline which flies major hubs between N. America, Europe and India. Didn't see any denim skirts or fundy jumpers, but plenty of saris....no searching.

:lol: (and I laugh because I used to wear them all the time...I still miss my favorite one...still doing denim skirts for casual though).

Well, apparently if you wear a free-flowing skirt, then you get specially searched. No matter if you are wearing a hijaab. So, then if you wear a hijab and jeans, why would you get searched? I and my girls travelled separately this month and we were all searched -even when the metal detector did not go off. Talk about profiling.

I can also add that the security was not the same in the two airports (drinks were not checked nor smaller metals discovered (watch etc.) and other things. Makes me mad since we want to be able to know all luggage was checked. There were plenty of security officers, though!!

OK, so anyone here wearing skirts (long skirts)? Did you get searched?

I flew a couple of weeks ago wearing a mid-calf-length flowing dress, and I was directed to the metal detector with no extra screening (this was when most people were being directed to the scanner).

OK, so anyone here wearing skirts (long skirts)? Did you get searched?

I got searched, wearing yoga pants and a tee. But WHY I got searched is the best part; My daughter's backpack checked positive for 'something' (we think it was drugs, but not certain). She's 6. They searched it and found DWN, blank paper, colored pencils, a Nintendo, and several reading books, paper and hard bound (but all WTM approved!).

What I can tell you is that the search was done VERY professionally. AFter watching them search several other people, I would have let this one guy do it. He was ABOVE reproach. But the lady was there in just a few seconds. She told me EVERYTHING before she did it, and used the BACK of her hands to 'pat down' around the 'girls' and my groin/private area. that wasn't all that intrusive either; she ran her hand, basically around my legs and up my, well, crack in the back (not sure how else to say it). In my case, when they were done with me, it so lacking offensiveness that I would have let them search Zoie if they had wanted too.

I opted to have my search right there; I don't know if there would be a second person allowed in the private search area, but I figured there would be PLENTY of witnesses, including DH and DDs. I also wanted to set a good example for the girls, in dealing with people in authority. I don't necessarily agree with the whole thing, but still, if a Police Officer felt the need to search my daughter for some reason, I don't want them thinking it's ok to go ballistic.

Oh, I definitely don't go ballistic at being searched slowly, over and over again in the same places, even by a female and even if the alarm did not go off.

BTW, the officer in one airport A(not the lax, busy one, but the quiet, empty one) also checked her gloves for spores or something under a scanner. I found it fascinating, but did not think they'd want me asking them, lol!

Oh, I definitely don't go ballistic at being searched slowly, over and over again in the same places, even by a female and even if the alarm did not go off.

BTW, the officer in one airport A(not the lax, busy one, but the quiet, empty one) also checked her gloves for spores or something under a scanner. I found it fascinating, but did not think they'd want me asking them, lol!

I didn't mean to infer you did, but I know some people are very upset by all this. We wouldn't have asked about the search, except we were trying to figure out WTheck would be in a 6 yr old's backpack! It was too funny, in that sense.

If I may ask, do you get searched all the time? If it makes you feel any better, my friend, who's DH is TSA, gets pulled every time. And she's jeans and t-shirt kind of woman. I might not be so laid back if it happened EVERY. STINKIN'. TIME!

Well, Eliana, exactly. They *told* me it was because if my skirt while I told them back it was because of my hijab. And when dds flew, then they also got checked after going through the detector.

Also, when was going to check in my bag as requested at the gate (they had space-issues and offered this to people), then they were desperately looking for a special tag to *mark* my bag. Totally ridiculous. I actually called them up on it and then they let me get a regular tag since I was travelling with "that lady" (another US, blond homeschooler for the conference). I was furious, to tell you the truth, and also appalled if this is the best they have to offer in terms of security.

Last week I was scanned and got the pat- down. Scanned in Boston, pat- down in CA. All lines were moving very quickly. I was wearing a simple fitted, below -the -knee sundress without hose, just undies, and no bra especially for the scanner. :) kidding. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

And why do they need the laptops out? Why a laptop but not an iphone or DVD player? Is it so the laptop isn't inadvertently banged around?

If you have the laptop in an approved laptop case (most are), then you just open the case, and have it in the case, opened, in one of the bins. No banging around. DVD players normally do come out.

Well, Eliana, exactly. sThey *told* me it was because if my skirt while I told them back it was because of my hijab. And when dds flew, then they also got checked after going through the detector.
I'd be leery of talking back like that, I generally just take it. My kids have been searched many, many times, and just accept it as part of the travel experience. I'm sure many of those who were incensed by that video of the young child being patted down that went around a while ago would have had a very different reaction if, when the camera panned out, the mother was wearing a hijab.

I feel pretty helpless in the airport, to be honest. I've had personnel at the counter try and convert me before; and we've been pulled out in front of all the passengers waiting at a gate to board to be patted down again (embarrassing), even though we'd gone through all the layers of security.

But given the increasingly negative climate, frankly our main goal is to get where we need to go and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I got searched, wearing yoga pants and a tee. But WHY I got searched is the best part; My daughter's backpack checked positive for 'something' (we think it was drugs, but not certain). She's 6. They searched it and found DWN, blank paper, colored pencils, a Nintendo, and several reading books, paper and hard bound (but all WTM approved!).

What I can tell you is that the search was done VERY professionally. AFter watching them search several other people, I would have let this one guy do it. He was ABOVE reproach. But the lady was there in just a few seconds. She told me EVERYTHING before she did it, and used the BACK of her hands to 'pat down' around the 'girls' and my groin/private area. that wasn't all that intrusive either; she ran her hand, basically around my legs and up my, well, crack in the back (not sure how else to say it). In my case, when they were done with me, it so lacking offensiveness that I would have let them search Zoie if they had wanted too.

I opted to have my search right there; I don't know if there would be a second person allowed in the private search area, but I figured there would be PLENTY of witnesses, including DH and DDs. I also wanted to set a good example for the girls, in dealing with people in authority. I don't necessarily agree with the whole thing, but still, if a Police Officer felt the need to search my daughter for some reason, I don't want them thinking it's ok to go ballistic.

FYI: The TSA is not a Police Officer...they have no law enforcement rights!

If the scanners are so good that they're worth flushing our rights to privacy, why wouldn't they use them all the time?

Those scanners have come to Canada. I keep wondering who the owner of the company knows in government. Is he/she someone's cousin or golfing buddy that wanted a nice piece of government money? :glare:

I'd be leery of talking back like that, I generally just take it. My kids have been searched many, many times, and just accept it as part of the travel experience. I'm sure many of those who were incensed by that video of the young child being patted down that went around a while ago would have had a very different reaction if, when the camera panned out, the mother was wearing a hijab.

I feel pretty helpless in the airport, to be honest. I've had personnel at the counter try and convert me before; and we've been pulled out in front of all the passengers waiting at a gate to board to be patted down again (embarrassing), even though we'd gone through all the layers of security.

But given the increasingly negative climate, frankly our main goal is to get where we need to go and try to be as inconspicuous as possible.

It wasn't international and only my baby was with me. As in I don't teach my kids to be disrespectful of authority!! I guess compared to your experience, then my flight was a piece of cake.

Sorry, Kate.

I'm sure many of those who were incensed by that video of the young child being patted down that went around a while ago would have had a very different reaction if, when the camera panned out, the mother was wearing a hijab.

I disagree. I would still have had a problem with if the mom was in a full burka and the father was there with a turban!

It wasn't international and only my baby was with me. As in I don't teach my kids to be disrespectful of authority!! I guess compared to your experience, then my flight was a piece of cake.

Sorry, Kate.

I'm sorry both of you, and others, have to go through all of that. :grouphug:

I just saw a news article yesterday that terrorists are planning on surgically implanting plastic bombs in suicide bombers so they can get through any security check. Can't imagine what they'll come up with next for security in response to this.