Menu

Do you wear anything for eye correction...glasses/contacts/goggles of any kind?

Eye correction device needed? (surgery in options 8-9)  

1. 1. Eye correction device needed? (surgery in options 8-9)

• 0-29yo No correction needed
    • 0-29yo Full time correction needed
    • 0-29yo Part time correction needed
    • 30+yo No correction needed
    • 30+yo Full time correction needed
    • 30+yo Part time correction needed
    • Other OR I haven't been to a dr, but suspect I need something
    • Yes correction worn AND I have had surgery.
    • No correction worn but I have had surgery for correction.
    • No correction needed :)

I'm about as blind as a bat without my contacts in or glasses on.

I can tell I've been going to Google a lot lately....I thought your title was "Do you wear anything for eye correction...glasses/contacts/googles of any kind?" :lol:

ETA: Hmmm....I guess I need my eyes checked.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Just random thoughts on the way back from the dr.....

Because I am almost 40 and they commented several times about my eyesight

being very good. In a surprised tone :/.I will ask the dr next week when I go back about the age statistics. I thought in the mean while I would check here.

Many of the women in my family don't need correction until much older than I. And even then, it is just reading glasses. My grandmother didn't wear full time correction until way into her 70s...my mother is the same. I set the poll parameters at 30, because they seemed surprised that I don't need any correction at 39. I assumed good vision was the norm, but after the appointment, I realized that most/all of my friends in their 30s need corrective lens of some sort. I can't think of any that do not wear correction.

For such a vital organ, I am surprised that eyes start to degrade so fast. It left me wondering if that is how it is on the insides too. Do our livers start to age, and are they less proficient too as we approach our middle years? Or are other organs less sensitive to age than our eyes?

I'll be 42 this year and I've worn contacts since I was 14. :)

At my last appointment, my doctor told me that if I started having trouble reading small print, then to purchase a pair of "readers" from the drugstore but not to try going without my contacts.

I haven't read all the responses, but a poll might be more useful to you if you differentiate between near-vision prescriptions (a.k.a. far-sightedness) and distance prescriptions (a.k.a. near-sightedness, LOL). While people with distance prescriptions tend to get worse with age when they're younger and then kind of level off a bit, my understanding is that "old age" (for lack of a better term :D) sight problems are more often near-vision issues.

I started wearing glasses for distance at 8 y.o. I got a prescription for near-vision at 43 (i.e., bifocals now), though I procrastinated on that for a couple years ;).

My distance prescription got steadily worse when I was a kid, and then has been tweaked only slightly from time to time since becoming an adult. (still, my distance prescription from 10 yrs ago is off enough that I'd be pretty annoyed to have to wear them)

I still don't know how I feel about my progressives. Maybe I should have gotten the line-bifocal.

Edited by wapiti

I wear glasses but my parents are considering getting me contacts because I am very athletic and glasses get in the way. I am far sighted and I can't see a thing that is far away. I have a severe stigmatism and if you ask me to read anything far away you can forget it. I also can't see very well up close either.

My dad has contacts and glasses, my mom and sister both need reading glasses, my brother wears glasses and the rest of my dad's side of the family has bad eyesight. So it runs in the family! ;)

I'll be 42 this year and I've worn contacts since I was 14. :)

At my last appointment, my doctor told me that if I started having trouble reading small print, then to purchase a pair of "readers" from the drugstore but not to try going without my contacts.

LOL, I usually wear contacts when we go out socially, and the last couple of years I've had a heck of a time trying to read restaurant menus, particularly in dim lighting. I started carrying around reading glasses from the drugstore in my purse for this purpose. It makes me look ancient, but I guess I am :tongue_smilie:

I am very nearsighted and have been since childhood. I was diagnosed at age nine but I had been unable to see clearly for a very long time. I had adapted well. My dh is in his high forties and he just started needing drugstore reading glasses. One of his hobbies is radio controlled airplanes and when he bought the glasses he had not been flying for a while. I suggested that flying might help his eyes so he started going out to the field about once a week again and now he no longer needs the reading glasses.

I only have astigmatism so I jokingly say that I only wear my glasses when I need to see. I can pretty much do whatever I want unless I'm tired. BUT my doctor told me to be prepared that as soon as I turn 40 (literally) my eyes will change and I'll need them.