Menu

Casey Anthony - Am I the only one

But I sure wish the prosecution had given the jurors more to work with and lesser charges that weren't so all-or-nothing.

So why didn't the jury convict? I think they had a true reasonable doubt.

as I read the evidence, I do not see that the prosecution proved that she was the one who actually caused the death.

I also think we should not castigate jurors for unpopular verdicts when we ourselves didn't hear all the evidence and weren't there in person to develop our own sense of who we believed and who we didn't.

I think it makes a difference whether you are talking about whether she is guilty as in "she did something wrong" versus whether there was enough evidence for a legal conviction.

I believe Casey either killed her--whether accidentally or on purpose--or that she knows who did.

That's different, though, from whether the jury was given enough evidence by the prosecution to convict her on the charges that they were given to choose from. Apparently, they didn't think they were. That doesn't mean that they think she's innocent , either. It means the prosecution didn't do a good enough job.

...The entire family seems incredibly dysfunctional

...I think the jury did their job since it wasn't proved 100% that she did it.

She may not be guilty, but she sure knows more about her daughter's death than she is admitting.

:iagree: with all of the above.

Who is the child's father?

Cindy Anthony said in an interview with Greta Van Sustern that the father was deceased. Here is a quote: "Caylee’s never had a father. He was a friend of Casey’s. He’s never been in Caylee’s life. He’s not on her birth certificate. He was a friend of Casey’s that lives out of state. By the time Caylee was born, he had already started another family, and he passed away earlier in the year. And again, his family never had knowledge of Caylee. And that was a mutual thing that Casey and he had agreed upon, that he was not going to be part of Caylee’s life."

You're not the only one. I think the whole family is made up of whackadoodles and I think the jury watched them all lie under oath. I don't know if she alone is responsible for what happened to Caylee and I don't think we'll ever know. I also think its crazy she's getting off completely. I hope they all find themselves in legal trouble and don't just get to go back to their lives.

Umm, how many of you would wait 31 days to report your two year old child missing?

There is a lot more evidence that couldn't be presented to the jury. The public knows more than the jury does.

What it boiled down is that the prosecution didn't do a very good job.

No justice was done today and granted she may not be in jail but her world will be a jail.

I think this is very different from the other cases other people have mentioned.

I'm not sure what to think. I didn't get to follow the trial (we don't have many tv channels)...I just hear little things on the news or the Today Show. I don't know if she outright killed her daughter or if it was an accident. I guess the jury couldn't find her guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt and the consequences were the death penalty (I think...right?). But, I do not believe she is completely innocent and should have no accountability. They are saying she may even be free tomorrow! I think it's very sad that the little girl will have no justice....it's like her life never even mattered. :crying: What about being found guilty by reason of insanity or something?? That would be better than not guilty at all. Seems like this woman has mental issues for sure. In fact, on the Today Show this morning they interviewed her "former fiance". He was shocked and upset about the verdict. He said that Casey and her parents are a "carnival of disfunctionality". One thing is for sure....when she is released she better watch her back because there will be a huge target on it.

:iagree:

As a mother that has lost her child, I cannot fathom or even comprehend how she could do what she did in those 31 days. THAT tells me she did something to her child. What she did? I do not know and do not think the state proved, but deep down I am positive she did something to her baby girl. In the 31 days after my son died - I was barely breathing myself. In the 13 months since he died - I struggle every. single. day. to keep on going and take care of my other two children. No sane mother does what she did in those 31 days.

I'm so sorry Kari. :crying: Hugs to you!! :grouphug:

I have no intention of hounding them. Unless they frequent the WTM forum they will never hear my opinion of them. However, my opinion stands. I think they did not consider the evidence. I think they rushed to judge her 'not guilty'. I am disgusted by the entire thing.

This thought went through my mind as well. I haven't read ALL the comments, but I do wonder about sequestered jurors and working them 7 days a week, and holidays. Do you think they might get tired?

I don't know if I posted it here, but how about some other charges? Negligent Manslaughter? Gross abuse of a corpse? urgh I'm just so saddened for Caylee.

Originally Posted by Kari C in SC

As a mother that has lost her child, I cannot fathom or even comprehend how she could do what she did in those 31 days. THAT tells me she did something to her child. What she did? I do not know and do not think the state proved, but deep down I am positive she did something to her baby girl. In the 31 days after my son died - I was barely breathing myself. In the 13 months since he died - I struggle every. single. day. to keep on going and take care of my other two children. No sane mother does what she did in those 31 days.

Kari, hugs and prayers for you, my friend. And you are SO right. And THAT is what convinces me that she KNOWS what happened; whether she did it, helped do it, or is aware of what happened. SHE KNOWS. After a child dies, a 'normal' mom (using that term loosely, no tomatoes please!) does not go out partying and drinking, just on weekends. If she were to start drinking, I would say it would be hard drinking where the family/friends would be worried. And while we all respond differently, *I* had tears in my eyes when I watched some of the testimony (admitted crime junkie here). I can't believe Casey didn't. The only time I saw her show much of any emotion was when they said NOT GUILTY. I am also aware of the way TV coverage is biased, but I watched some stuff that was live, all day long testimony. Maybe she was medicated? But to me, that would backfire because of what I just said. If I were in Casey's shoes I'd have to HEAVILY medicated to even be somewhat presentable in the courtroom.

After saying all that though, a person's behavior is NOT grounds for conviction. I haven't checked into it, but I wonder if the prosecution didn't back themselves into a corner with not having some simpler charges, 2nd or 3rd degree or even negligent homicide.

My biggest problem with this whole thing is how the FAMILY of little CAYLEE was rejoicing when they left the courtroom. There will be no civil suits or anything. There is nobody seeking justice for that little girl now.

Edited by cin

I guess the jury couldn't find her guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt and the consequences were the death penalty (I think...right?).

This is not true though. The jury wasn't required to find her guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Only beyond 'reasonable doubt'. And they could have found her guilty of Manslaughter which would not have involved the death penalty.

(and I watched almost every minute of it)

Go here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/05/casey-anthony-trial-marcia-clark-says-the-verdict-was-worse-than-the-o-j-simpson-case.html

click on the picture evidence. If what Baez introduced as reasonable doubt is as stated, then people have been dumbed down to idiocracy. I don't think people know what "reasonable" doubt means. Guilty as sin.

Exactly. Common sense was lost.

This is not true though. The jury wasn't required to find her guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. Only beyond 'reasonable doubt'. And they could have found her guilty of Manslaughter which would not have involved the death penalty.

(and I watched almost every minute of it)

The difference is that I haven't watched almost every single minute of it. :D So, thank you for mentioning this. I didn't know they could have found her guilty on a lesser charge (if that's even what you call it)....I don't know enough about all this stuff to know what I'm really talking about. :001_smile:

Unfortunately there is not enough evidence that the proves she is guilty of murder, the prosecutors did not give enough evidence to prove that she is or isn't guilty, so the jurors did their job and said she was not guilty. But I am not convinced she isn't guilty either, partying after her child is missing and getting a tatoo in her rememberance? Those are big red flags that people need to look at, and even though Caysee wasn't found guilty then who was? There was no justice for little Caylee and now she is just another "case" pushed aside that isn't solved.

If you ask me Caysee's father seems to have something to do with it. He didn't show much emotion, not even faking it.

The difference is that I haven't watched almost every single minute of it. :D So, thank you for mentioning this. I didn't know they could have found her guilty on a lesser charge (if that's even what you call it)....I don't know enough about all this stuff to know what I'm really talking about. :001_smile:

Don't feel lonely. There are 12 people down in FL who can join your club. ;)

Unfortunately there is not enough evidence that the proves she is guilty of murder, the prosecutors did not give enough evidence to prove that she is or isn't guilty, so the jurors did their job and said she was not guilty. But I am not convinced she isn't guilty either, partying after her child is missing and getting a tatoo in her rememberance? Those are big red flags that people need to look at, and even though Caysee wasn't found guilty then who was? There was no justice for little Caylee and now she is just another "case" pushed aside that isn't solved.

If you ask me Caysee's father seems to have something to do with it. He didn't show much emotion, not even faking it.

George and Cindy were strictly warned by the judge to show no emotion or they would not be allowed to sit in the courtroom during the trial. (they had to get special permission to be there since they were both witnesses in the trial). George has shown LOTS of emotion over the last 3 years. He has been very angry/distraught/overwhelmed and even suicidal. But he couldn't show any of that in court.

There is zero evidence George had anything to do with it. And Baez's 'story' in opening statements defies all logic.

There was plenty of evidence to convince her of murder. Plenty.

Here is a bit of evidence that just pops into my mind without any further digging on what was presented to those jurors.

Searches for how to make chloraform on the computer when everyone else was at work

A dead body in her trunk

Child last in her care

No explanation (not proven as a lie) for where she left Caylee

31 days of not reporting her child missing/dead

Continuing to lie for 3 YEARS after her mother drug her home and called 911

Borrowing a neighbor's shovel

Backing her car into the garage (something the neighbor had never known her to do) while her parents were at work

George and Cindy were strictly warned by the judge to show no emotion or they would not be allowed to sit in the courtroom during the trial. (they had to get special permission to be there since they were both witnesses in the trial). George has shown LOTS of emotion over the last 3 years. He has been very angry/distraught/overwhelmed and even suicidal. But he couldn't show any of that in court.

There is zero evidence George had anything to do with it. And Baez's 'story' in opening statements defies all logic.

There was plenty of evidence to convince her of murder. Plenty.

From a legal aspect the elements were satisfied for aggravated child abuse and manslaughter at the very least. The jurors also acquitted her on these charges. This was not a 1st degree murder case or nothing.

They only deliberated 11 hours. That is ridiculous bearing in mind the amount of testimony and evidence. They had their minds made up and fell for the defense throwing out wild theories they never attempted to prove.

I don't doubt the Anthony family is dysfunctional. Guess what? I come from dysfunction junction myself. Casey chose to make her own choices. She was responsible for that child.

I don't doubt the Anthony family is dysfunctional. Guess what? I come from dysfunction junction myself. Casey chose to make her own choices. She was responsible for that child.

Exactly. The world is full of dysfunctional families whose mother's don't murder their children.

I do think it can be a lesson for parents to stop enabling kids who lean like Casey did. I also think Cindy committed perjury in an effort to save her dd from a guilty verdict. We all have to make up our minds AHEAD of time--will we be truthful no matter what or will we fold when things get tough?

Here is a bit of evidence that just pops into my mind without any further digging on what was presented to those jurors.

Searches for how to make chloraform on the computer when everyone else was at work

A dead body in her trunk

Child last in her care

No explanation (not proven as a lie) for where she left Caylee

31 days of not reporting her child missing/dead

Continuing to lie for 3 YEARS after her mother drug her home and called 911

Borrowing a neighbor's shovel

Backing her car into the garage (something the neighbor had never known her to do) while her parents were at work

Don't forget Caylee's hair strand in HER car trunk...consistent with her length and color that matched Caylee's and the huge chloraform odor in the trunk. I've linked it before, I'll do it again:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/05/casey-anthony-trial-marcia-clark-says-the-verdict-was-worse-than-the-o-j-simpson-case.html

Those who haven't followed the trial at all should at least look at the timeline. To say there is nothing that points to the mother is ridiculous.

timeline link

She's the last one to see the baby. She didn't have the baby with her when she went and rented movies that night with her boyfriend.

Two days later Casey, alone, backs her car into the drive and borrows a shovel from a neighbor.

Her car smelled like a dead body according to her dad, the impound manager and the cops. There was a hair in the trunk that was Caylee's and had growth that was consistent with growth after death.

She basically avoided her parents and her home for a month while deflecting questions and/or telling lies about the baby and her whereabouts.

The body was eventually found less than a mile from her house. The body has duct tape over the mouth.

Taken individually these things might be circumstantial. Together, they are called corroborating evidence. Taken *together*, what would a reasonable person conclude?

Those who haven't followed the trial at all should at least look at the timeline. To say there is nothing that points to the mother is ridiculous.

timeline link

She's the last one to see the baby. She didn't have the baby with her when she went and rented movies that night with her boyfriend.

Two days later Casey, alone, backs her car into the drive and borrows a shovel from a neighbor.

Her car smelled like a dead body according to her dad, the impound manager and the cops. There was a hair in the trunk that was Caylee's and had growth that was consistent with growth after death.

She basically avoided her parents and her home for a month while deflecting questions and/or telling lies about the baby and her whereabouts.

The body was eventually found less than a mile from her house. The body has duct tape over the mouth.

Taken individually these things might be circumstantial. Together, they are called corroborating evidence. Taken *together*, what would a reasonable person conclude?

That timeline link is a wowser!

Now...for your ""reasonable" person conclude" statement ....

And the facebook entries below it really tell of the story.

How can this just be so screwed up or they just picked a jury that is so easily manipulated. It is so darn obvious! And now she's free!

personally i feel like she is guilty - even she did not personally kill her child - she was responsible to her child. she was her mother. if my child were missing as she claimed for a day even, i would not be out partying, getting tattoos, etc, etc - I would be doing all in my power to find my child. the only tears that woman shed were for herself.

to be not even found guilty of negligence is disgusting imo. mothers and fathers are found guilty and have their children removed for A LOT LESS than this every day.

while this jury may not have been able to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt for murder 1 - to not even be able to find guilt of negligence... I find this appalling.

timeline link

:iagree: Seems like common sense to me...

That timeline link is a wowser!

Now...for your ""reasonable" person conclude" statement ....

And the facebook entries below it really tell of the story.

How can this just be so screwed up or they just picked a jury that is so easily manipulated. It is so darn obvious! And now she's free!

Yes the timeline link is awesome! For all of you out there who aren't convinced there was enough evidence to convict...read that time line and then decide.