Menu

Rant about our Library ...

So a couple of weeks ago I signed up my kids for the summer reading program, we then checked out our books. While we were there I noticed a really long line for something, but I could not tell what it was. So yesterday we stood in the really long line so my kids could get their stickers. So when got to the front, the librarian asked for our player card, I just said that we needed the stickers for the reading program. She smiled and said that we were the first kids to get their stickers all day, I asked what the line was for and she said for the Wii :001_huh:.

I went to the back where the Wii was and where there was usually parents reading to their kids OR kids reading books - there was a group of kids playing the Wii or watching, and there were no parents to be found.

I am confused, why would they put in a Wii. My only thinking is that it was put in to attract more people to the library, but I personally think it will backfire.

Our main library has, during the summer, Wii competitions once every week or two, in the teen section. There isn't a Wii there full-time.

The idea is definitely to draw kids to the library. I don't know, I think it could work. I know that in our library, they want to make the teen center a safe "hang out" place for teens, and not just a place to check out books, especially in the summer.

A Wii??? At the LIBRARY? Isn't the point of the library to have a quiet place? For reading books and doing research and such?

I find that upsetting and would register my old-fuddy-duddy complaints with the library.

Some libraries have children or teen sections that are closed off from the rest of the library. I know that they have a pretty noisy story hour at both our main and branch libraries: they just hold it in a section where the noise won't bother people looking for a quiet place to read.

Some libraries have children or teen sections that are closed off from the rest of the library. I know that they have a pretty noisy story hour at both our main and branch libraries: they just hold it in a section where the noise won't bother people looking for a quiet place to read.

No, I get that. I just think it's not compatible with the actual purpose of a library. I also don't think libraries should be in the business of babysitting. Our library tried to do that, and they ended up having to hire a security guard. Then they finally started cracking down on behavior, and now there are few teens in the library at all. I know that they want to provide a safe place, but it seems like these measures just end up bringing trouble into a place where that stuff never belonged in the first place.

ETA: Just so you know, I'm very socially liberal. I understand what the libraries are trying to do, and I agree there's a need there. I just don't think they're the right place. Libraries are for other things, IMO.

Edited by melissel

I'm a fuddy duddy as well. We had this new children's librarian for awhile and wanted to implement all the "cool" new things, most of which revolved around movies. She didn't last long though as she evidently didn't actually like children. They have since switched the movie times to movies that are actually book related, which is an improvement. They are also adding lots of digital book options, which seems like a much better way to be "cool". We have had Wii day here but it is not all the time, which I am ok with although it isn't my favorite. Although, I am not a fan of those things I think the good out weighs the bad, here at least.

In our public library, Wii is in the teen room, available on a set day, afterschool hours. (don't know the summer schedule) I really have no complaints. My oldest ds, who attends a brick & mortar school, hangs out there on that day w/ his friends. The kids play games, chat w/ each other and w/ the teen librarian, etc. The teen area is enclosed, rest of library can't hear whats going on.

However, my son & his school friends all get good grades at school, know how to use library & are at library on other days for more traditional library activities, books & research. (the school they attend is small & does not have a library, the public library is just a few blocks away)

I actually appreciate that the library provides a safe place for middle schoolers and young high schoolers to congregate one afternoon a week.

I imagine each library is just trying to reach a community need & attract younger patrons. Maybe some have gone a bit overboard on the nontraditional library activities.

We visit a few different libraries in our area and I asked at the main one, why there were so many computers that people could use for free while I had to pay to put books on hold? It didn't make sense. The librarian told me that so few people borrow books now, that they can only justify getting money from the county and the town by bringing in people who want to use the computers. The face of libraries is changing. In a few years I could imagine libraries being obsolete, with large clearing houses of books online that can be downloaded for free through their county.

I do have a question about libraries with teen rooms. My son is not a teen but he is an advanced reader. We had to go to the teen room to get a book and the librarian immediately stopped us at the door, asking us if we needed help. I told her the call number of the book and she helped us find it.

Then, we browsed the shelves and the librarian kept following us, asking us if we were looking for something specific. I told her we were browsing and she kept following us. It made me so uncomfortable that I left.

At the door, I saw several signs saying, "Teen Room: 13 -18 ONLY!" with the capitalization and exclamation. I found it weird that we were so unwelcome to the area. Does anyone else have a library like this and should I say something to the front desk?

I'll join the ranks of the old-fashioned as well, I suppose. A Wii at the library? Really? Our believe our base library hosts weekly gaming tournaments, which isn't exactly the same thing.

I signed my boys up for the Summer Reading Program the other day and I was shocked to see that Facebooking and text messaging qualify as reading time for the 12+ crowd. Really?! Not in my home.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I signed my boys up for the Summer Reading Program the other day and I was shocked to see that Facebooking and text messaging qualify as reading time for the 12+ crowd. Really?! Not in my home.

:svengo: That is lunacy.

N

ETA: Just so you know, I'm very socially liberal. I understand what the libraries are trying to do, and I agree there's a need there. I just don't think they're the right place. Libraries are for other things, IMO.

Some communities don't have the money for a youth community center and a library.

I know of one (a friend works there) and it is packed with kids I, honestly, would prefer my son not hang around with. My friend has a masters in psychology and while he mans the rec room, he also de-escalates fights and brings acute situations to the attention of the "case managers" of many of these "at risk youths", i.e. seem to be drifting off into the gang circles.

Not that I'm sending my son to the library for the Wii (I'm not even sure what one is. :)). For rec, we have a decent Y, thank goodness for small favors.

At the door, I saw several signs saying, "Teen Room: 13 -18 ONLY!" with the capitalization and exclamation. I found it weird that we were so unwelcome to the area. Does anyone else have a library like this and should I say something to the front desk?

Our main library, which has the teen center, has the same policy.

I tend to think the idea is to keep out creepy adults who might be going in there to try to pick up teens.

I find it a bit annoying, because I like to read YA fiction, and I can't get into the room. I also think it's overly paranoid. But, given that a lot of the Detroit libraries seem to be places where sometimes-intoxicated homeless people and vagrants spend the day, I can see why, in this context, it might make sense.

Our main library has, during the summer, Wii competitions once every week or two, in the teen section. There isn't a Wii there full-time.

The idea is definitely to draw kids to the library. I don't know, I think it could work. I know that in our library, they want to make the teen center a safe "hang out" place for teens, and not just a place to check out books, especially in the summer.

I wouldn't have a problem with this, but I would have a huge problem if it was there full-time -- even if it was just out for the summer.

Many libraries have game days for bridge, chess, and other board games popular with the elderly. If that's okay, so's Wii.

I'm fine with movies and music, too.

:iagree: Ours has, at the request of kids and parents, a Nintendo Game Night from 5-8 one evening each week. At first the board and head librarian were hesitant but after doing it they found that the number of books checked out that night more than tripled in adult and children's areas. We also have 1 movie night a month and the library traffic that night is more than just regular business hours.

I've never been to a library with a teen room for teens only. Our library has the kids section on one end, then the video, audiobook, and YA section in the center across from the circulation desk. The adult fiction section comes next and the non-fiction is at the other end of the building. I'm always in the kids and teen sections--thankfully they're open spaces at our library. Our library's only restriction is that adults may not use the computers in the kids section.

I would say something. I, too, like to browse the YA books for myself and for ds. I understand, as one poster mentioned, that the library might be trying to protect the teens, but to have a whole section of the library off-limits to patrons seems a bit outlandish.

Oh, I just remembered I have been to a library that had a separate kids room where adults could only enter if accompanied by a child--yes, to protect the children. Most understandable. This was the same library that told my friend she couldn't find out what books were checked out on her son's account because it wasn't her account and it was a privacy issue. :glare:

I know our library is doing everything it can to survive. We have a wonderful city library system with 18 branches and one main library. Just recently the the days & times the library is open changed. Half of the branches are open Wed-Sat and the other half are open Mon-Thurs. Our local branch has 2 conference style rooms and if they want to set up a wii in there to get more people in then I say, good for them, as long as it is well supervised. It wouldn't matter to my kids because if they want to play wii they can do it at home. It would be a similar situation to the two computers in the kids sections that only play games. I am saddened to see our libraries struggle to stay open. We love our 100 book check out and our free book request system. DH thinks they should be able to stay open on my late fees alone.

In contrast, our county library system (7 branches) doesn't charge late fees on children's books at all, you can keep them as long as you like. Because of this policy they never have the book you want/need and they charge for book requests. They also just announced that it will cost $80/ family to have a library card. I think I'd rather have the wii.

Amber in SJ

We don't have Wii at ours, but we do have movie and knitting groups for the elderly, as well as Bridge tournaments. Libraries often function as community centers. I've lived in areas where library meeting rooms or grounds are used as the drop- off place for city summer lunch programming for low income children and the elderly.

I don't mind libraries meeting such needs, even if it means providing a safe place to for kids to play Wii , especially in the summer, espcially in very hot and/or very poor areas. My kids are voracious readers. We don't have Wii, so I know they would want to try it out if our library offered such a thing. I wouldn't have an issue with it. :auto:

I do have a question about libraries with teen rooms. My son is not a teen but he is an advanced reader. We had to go to the teen room to get a book and the librarian immediately stopped us at the door, asking us if we needed help. I told her the call number of the book and she helped us find it.

Then, we browsed the shelves and the librarian kept following us, asking us if we were looking for something specific. I told her we were browsing and she kept following us. It made me so uncomfortable that I left.

Our library doesn't have a teen room. That's interesting. We do however have overhelpful librarians on occassion that drive me crazy. One new one at our library asked me everytime he saw me (which was pretty much every row) if I was having any difficulty finding a book. Between his interruptions and my kids interruptions I didn't find any books that day:glare:

Our library does function as a community center in some ways. There is a Zumba night in one of the conference rooms, a knit and crochet club, homework help hours, a manga/ comic club, literacy tutors, ESL tutors for adults, tax prep help, job search seminars, internet seminars, craft afternoons and tea parties for children in addition to regular story times.

Where we live not many people have A/C in their homes, so for the 14 or so days in the Summer where it gets over 100 degrees the library is a place for many to go when the heat is unbearable.

We do have a teen room. It is all made of glass so the librarians & parents can see into it at all times. I prefer it as a separate room because of the terrible language that sometimes breaks out. My teens only go in if it is empty or almost empty. They grab some books and come out into the main library with me.

Amber in SJ

We don't have Wii at ours, but we do have movie and knitting groups for the elderly, as well as Bridge tournaments. Libraries often function as community centers. I've lived in areas where library meeting rooms or grounds are used as the drop- off place for city summer lunch programming for low income children and the elderly.

I don't mind libraries meeting such needs, even if it means providing a safe place to for kids to play Wii , especially in the summer, espcially in very hot and/or very poor areas. My kids are voracious readers. We don't have Wii, so I know they would want to try it out if our library offered such a thing. I wouldn't have an issue with it. :auto:

:iagree: Except we do have a Wii, so I wouldn't let my kids do it at the library, where there is, in fact, Wii tournaments, at least at the central library. :D

Libraries serve a lot of functions and books are just one of them. They're an important one, one that I really hope the libraries don't lose sight of as they figure out their role now (as I worry some have), but I think finding ways to be relevant community spaces is important and the Wii time can be part of it.