Menu

Let's think positive, folks! Describe a compliment someone's given you.

I am literally crying over these reponses!

Waaaaaaa! Like.A.Baby!

I can't think of any right now, but I guess the "totally hot" insult could be construed as a compliment.;)

Isn't it incredibly heart warming to read about our happiest times? Inspiring, too! I'm so grateful to everyone for taking time to share. I actually laid awake part of last night concocting this ridiculous idea in my head that my attempts to initiate a positive thread were going to come off looking like I just needed a major ego check. See how much I need to remind myself of the good stuff?! :001_rolleyes:

You're hotness is totally a compliment in my book, but if you come up with another, please don't hesitate to post it, Elaine. Does a body good!

I have had some comments stating that I am a really good mother to my boys. Those are the best ones! I know I am far from perfect, but I do think that overall I am a good mom.

I have helped in a ministry at church. I have gradually moved around to help with the managing on the day of the ministry. A fellow member was there one day and told me that he had not seen me in action before. That what I was doing suited me well and I did a great job in that position. It was nice to feel like I was using my natural abilities in a good way.

When I was in college I was involved in many of the college ministries. In the course of those ministries I met an old wino named "Jack". I would meet "Jack" down on skid row (during the day!) we would walk down the street talking while he would yell out "She's an angel! You hear- you guys be nice to her! She's an angel!" All the homeless loved me!:D

What I didn't know is that "Jack" used to call the President of my university to tell him that I was an angel too. The President finally called me personally to beg me to make him stop!:tongue_smilie:

Guest Virginia Dawn
When I was in college I was involved in many of the college ministries. In the course of those ministries I met an old wino named "Jack". I would meet "Jack" down on skid row (during the day!) we would walk down the street talking while he would yell out "She's an angel! You hear- you guys be nice to her! She's an angel!" All the homeless loved me!:D

What I didn't know is that "Jack" used to call the President of my university to tell him that I was an angel too. The President finally called me personally to beg me to make him stop!:tongue_smilie:

That reminds me of the time I gave our town wino a ride home. My boys almost erupted into fits of giggles when he beerily wheezed through his missing front teeth, "You're beautiful."

...we would walk down the street talking while he would yell out "She's an angel! You hear- you guys be nice to her! She's an angel!" All the homeless loved me!:D

That reminds me of the time I gave our town wino a ride home. My boys almost erupted into fits of giggles when he beerily wheezed through his missing front teeth, "You're beautiful."

I'm sure they were right about both of you. It takes a special gift to be compassionate towards the homeless and the...um...what's the right word? chemically challenged. Seriously, you both were/are beautiful to be able to support those individuals in the ways that you did/do. And, thank goodness for the times when the less inhibited can call out heart felt compliments (I'm sure they both meant exactly what they said!) rather than insults, eh? :D

My dh recently gave me the highest compliment I have ever received. Our dd11 had gotten into the habit of accusing me of lying whenever she didn't like what I was saying. She's always been mouthy ... but I digress. DH finally had enough of it and sat her down and said to her "I have known your mother for almost 30 years and in all that time she has never lied. Ever."

Wow, I was speechless and nerveless at hearing that. I'm not quite certain it's true (30 years is a long time!), but I would certainly like it to be true! :)

Karen

This back story of this is that when DH and I got engaged, my MIL wrote another girl he used to date asking her to hang around because she was *sure* we wouldn't work out. That is where we started our journey as family.

Fast forward 13 years, I took the kids to visit the in-laws last week while DH is gone. Still not my idea of a great time, but I can handle it. During the week my 5 yo, who is possibly the most stubborn child in the history of the universe, did not want to eat chicken salad at dinner. I can't say I blamed her, but mil does NOT handle dinner time issues well. You know, the clean your plate or else mentality? So dd begins her meltdown screaming fit. We calmly left the table, I put her in the bath and let her compose herself, she went back and ate her dinner and apologized for being rude. (I almost fell over in shock - I just was hoping she'd fall asleep before she remembered how angry she was.)

Today, I received a note from my mil complimenting me on my handling of the situation, and closes it with, "That's one reason we are so grateful God led our J to you and why the madonna figurine (a necklace dh bought for mother's day) suits you so well." I bawled like a big fat baby!

This back story of this is that when DH and I got engaged, my MIL wrote another girl he used to date asking her to hang around because she was *sure* we wouldn't work out. That is where we started our journey as family.

Fast forward 13 years, I took the kids to visit the in-laws last week while DH is gone. Still not my idea of a great time, but I can handle it. During the week my 5 yo, who is possibly the most stubborn child in the history of the universe, did not want to eat chicken salad at dinner. I can't say I blamed her, but mil does NOT handle dinner time issues well. You know, the clean your plate or else mentality? So dd begins her meltdown screaming fit. We calmly left the table, I put her in the bath and let her compose herself, she went back and ate her dinner and apologized for being rude. (I almost fell over in shock - I just was hoping she'd fall asleep before she remembered how angry she was.)

Today, I received a note from my mil complimenting me on my handling of the situation, and closes it with, "That's one reason we are so grateful God led our J to you and why the madonna figurine (a necklace dh bought for mother's day) suits you so well." I bawled like a big fat baby!

Wow! What a sweet blessing you received from her!

Well, the one I remember best is last year at the zoo, I struck up a conversation with another couple with a young child. We got to chatting about homeschooling. My dh was with ds somewhere and when they came up and I introduced them to the other couple, the guy said, "That's your kid? You seriously don't look old enough to have a kid that old." His wife gave him the dirty look because ya know... what if I was a teenage mother or something, right? That would have been rude. But, then I told them... "I assure you I was over 30 when I had him."

"Oh," says the mom. "I thought you were my age -- 24-25 or so?" :D That's a whole decade and a half younger than I really am!

But, then my dh has to ruin the glow by laughing. :glare:

On the less superficial side, before my dad passed away (when he was still decently healthy) he told me "You're so much like your mother. When I think of you, sometimes it helps me miss her less."

My friend Kristin (from Alaska now in Hawaii) was telling me about why she thought I make a good hospice nurse. This led to a small tangent and her raving about qualities I didn't even know I had!

I am smart, thoughtful, kind, considerate, fun, honest, loyal, full of integrity, completely trustworthy.....I mean she went on and on. I wish I had it recorded.

I'm totally using her for a reference.

Some of my favorite compliments are from old ladies and patients and/or their family.

But the greatest one ever came long ago from an old dying woman.

It was some of my greatest work.

I was a voulunteer at the local nursing home and a friend of mine knew that and told his mother who had a mother who was recently diagnosed with bone cancer that was everywhere.

They were Italian and it was Christmas; the daughter of the woman who was dying needed to prepare the dinner and still put on a holiday for her kids. So she paid me well to take care of her mother for the eve and day of Christmas at the hospital.

To make a long story short, I bonded with the old grandmother and sang her songs I didn't neccesarily believe in myself but had learned in my youth from my own grandmother and so I do enjoy singing them. On the first day I VERY carefully listened to her stories. Almost overnight she lost her ability to tell them. But I fed her when her grandchildren couldn't and I spoke the words of the heaven and the Jesus she believed in. I spoke to her of angels.

I went back a 3rd day on my own time because I loved her.

I sat a spell with her granchildren (who were all friends of mine) and upon leaving I bent close to her and said goodbye. She reached for my hand and brought it her lips and kissed me.

It was the most beautiful "Thank You" that anyone has ever given me.

I knew how she felt about me in one small moment of her last human strength. It is why I am now.....17 years later a hospice nurse.

It was the most beautiful "Thank You" that anyone has ever given me.

I knew how she felt about me in one small moment of her last human strength. It is why I am now.....17 years later a hospice nurse.

Aww Karen, that is lovely. What a sweet memory.

And I never knew you were a hospice nurse! :)

I work with one full-time doctor and 4 other part-timers. Recently at work the only full-time doctor told me he appreciated my work ethic. This was especially nice as he is completly non-effusive and tends to spend much of the day cracking jokes and being very sarcastic. It just meant a lot coming from him.

And at the grocery store the other day I got hit on by a man (who wasn't old or bad-looking :)) . This was nice for my self-esteem as I am about 70 pounds overweight and was in frumpy Mom clothes. Dh wasn't too happy about it though. :)

In college...I was strolling along with my headphones on, headed back to the dorms. A young black man stopped me and said, " Hi, I've seen you around and I just want to say what a really attractive person you are."

Maybe it was a frat prank or dare but I sure felt great after that.

How precious! How affirming! I'm so pleased for you, and know you've earned every speck of that compliment.

Doran, thanks for this thread and forcing me to remember nice things instead of rude things. It made me realize how much longer the rude things stick to us and I am determined to let them go when said to me and to work harder to not inflict rudenesss upon others.

Here is one I thought of. When I worked, a young girl, 12 years my junior, worked with me. She had started there as a high school senior and put in one year of college but dropped out after she got married. I encouraged her to return to college. I can't remember what all I even said. But several years later, she had quit and moved away, I had quit to be home with my newborn son...I get a college graduation announcement from her with a note that said, 'You are the reason I returned to college and got my degree and I am grateful to you for that.'

sniff sniff. I felt like her mother at that moment.