Menu

Sending some of my kids to a classical public charter next year

My 7 yr old twins are starting at a new classical charter school this fall too! I am so excited about this opportunity for them. There have been a number of meet-and-greets so I am getting to know the parents. The closer we get to opening, the more certain I am of my decision to send them there.

Oooh, how do you find these classical charter schools? There has to be one around here, right?!! :glare: I'm not so sure. Nice surprise for you though!

Honestly, I didn't know they existed outside the Phoenix area.

Barb

This school is using a lot of the same materials I use at home, or have considered (including Singapore Math, YAY!) But I'm surprised that Peace Hill Press in on anyschool's radar, particularly a public school's. Is anyone else aware of an institution using their materials?

Barb

Congrats!! I applied for the one near me- dd is #87 and ds #91 on the waiting list. It's pretty intense from what I hear, which probably wouldn't have been a good fit for ds's learning difficulties. Yea for your kiddos!

Are you in the West Valley?

My older ones attended the one in Glendale for a couple of years and it had its pros and cons. I loved the curriculum and the philosophy, but at the end of the day, a school is a school. It sort of takes over your life. I missed the homeschooling lifestyle. I'll be interested to see how the Archway school is different from the upper school Academy. I have a feeling it may be a one-year experiment for one or two of them, but I'm keeping an open mind. I'm excited about having the time to focus on my highschoolers for a while. And having time to paint the house, if you want to know the truth.

Barb

This school is using a lot of the same materials I use at home, or have considered (including Singapore Math, YAY!) But I'm surprised that Peace Hill Press in on anyschool's radar, particularly a public school's. Is anyone else aware of an institution using their materials?

Barb

Yes. Three local schools (1 classical Christian, 2 homeschool partnership programs attached to Christian schools) use some PHP materials, particularly SOTW.

Also, I almost took a job with Great Hearts a few years ago, but the timing was not right. One of my grad school classmates teaches at Scottsdale Prep and loves it. I hope the year goes well for your family. :001_smile:

Yes. Three local schools (1 classical Christian, 2 homeschool partnership programs attached to Christian schools) use some PHP materials, particularly SOTW.

Wow, I love to hear that. It's like a little mini-revolution. :D

within the school. They offer: 4 years of Latin with advanced classes in translating from original sources, AP Latin, Greek, AP classical literature classes (Homer, Greek plays...), Symposiums....

They also offer a Science Academy which offers all AP level Science courses.

Pretty impressive if you ask me. :D

within the school. They offer: 4 years of Latin with advanced classes in translating from original sources, AP Latin, Greek, AP classical literature classes (Homer, Greek plays...), Symposiums....

I find this really encouraging! Though it's still just a niche in the grand scheme, I don't know that a public school offered classical studies 10 years ago. I think SWB (and possibly K12?) has had a lot to do with the increased interest.

Barb

I'd love a link to this! :)

Barb

There is a private independent Catholic school in the Pittsburgh area that uses the WTM in planning a lot of their curriculum, and there are some public classical charter schools in the St Paul/Minneapolis area that do the same, including using SOTW. Unfortunately the waiting list for the public charter schools is a few hundred students long - a lot of my homeschool friends dream of getting their kids in each year during the lottery, but thus far only two have actually gotten in.

We have at least one private school here that offers Classical WTM. It is a nice option for former homeschoolers, reasonably priced ($4,K) and meets M-Th 9am-2pm.....or at least that was what it was when they opened. It was meant to be a part school and part homeschool school, but once they added 9-12 they went to a full private school option.

There is a public charter Classical type school too, but I don't think they use WTM. Right now I think the public option only goes up to 6th grade.

We considered it for a brief moment, but my kids just beg to be homeschooled. :tongue_smilie: My oldest also has some LD and I don't think either of the above can accommodate his needs.

Dawn

I have been excited, lately, about this. Though our family will continue homeschooling, I LOVE seeing all these classical charter schools that are popping up!!! It is encouraging to see that classical education, a proven method of solid education for close to two millennia, is on the rise once again. It gives me such hope for our nation as a whole.