Menu

Minimus for Latin

angiemama

We've really enjoyed it too. DS10 is just finishing Minimus Secundus and is keen to start Galore Park Latin Prep 1 in September. I think I would have met a lot of resistance from him if we'd gone straight to Latin Prep without Minimus, he's just that sort of boy :D. He got really quite attached to Flavius, Lepidina and family, it's been a bit like a Roman soap opera for us :001_smile:.

Best wishes

Cassy

:bigear:

DD and I read the first lesson and she loved it, so we're moving forward with Minimus. She said she likes it because "it's kinda like a story".

Since I'm no Latin expert, I decided to finally splurged on the teacher's guide and CD, which should arrive in about three hours. I intend to spend tonight looking it all over and planning out a rough schedule (cuz I like to do that). Since some of you said it was fun yet retention low, we'll pair it up with Getting Started with Latin. I'm thinking of using Anki to test on the vocabulary.

We loved Minimus so much that we named our pet mouse Minimus. The second pet mouse is named Ipsie (somebody, anybody). I wanted to name her Wibrissa (sp?), but DS wanted Ipsie.

Minimus is a great story, but not a great Latin curriculum. The cartoon format is very appealing and so are the characters, who seemed surprisingly fleshed out to us. However, as the teacher, I was always frustrated that they (the curriculum developers) didn't do more with it.

I recommend you do it somewhere between age 8 and 13. Just fit it in somewhere. You won't regret it. But you will also need to do more.

:bigear:

DD and I read the first lesson and she loved it, so we're moving forward with Minimus. She said she likes it because "it's kinda like a story".

Since I'm no Latin expert, I decided to finally splurged on the teacher's guide and CD, which should arrive in about three hours. I intend to spend tonight looking it all over and planning out a rough schedule (cuz I like to do that). Since some of you said it was fun yet retention low, we'll pair it up with Getting Started with Latin. I'm thinking of using Anki to test on the vocabulary.

We need to hear ALL about that teacher's guide! :bigear: I tried to use Minimus, but we dropped it because I frankly needed more hand holding. The price of the TM kept holding me back. If it's really worth it, though...

However, as the teacher, I was always frustrated that they (the curriculum developers) didn't do more with it.

I recommend you do it somewhere between age 8 and 13. Just fit it in somewhere. You won't regret it. But you will also need to do more.

We dropped Minimus because I didn't know enough Latin to teach it. It's a cute program and Indy loved the stories in it, but there was almost no grammar instruction, parts of speech or conjugations. We switched to Lively Latin, which is much easier to teach if you know no Latin. He really enjoys the program and we're both learning a ton. Once we finish the Big Book 1 and probably 2, we'll go back to Minimus.

We need to hear ALL about that teacher's guide! :bigear: I tried to use Minimus, but we dropped it because I frankly needed more hand holding. The price of the TM kept holding me back. If it's really worth it, though...

Honestly, there's not enough in the TM to help you out if you don't know Latin, or at least have a base knowledge of it. I have the TM and the cd and still needed more.

Thanks for all the feedback, I guess it is more popular than I realized.

We are enjoying it and I think that because I am pretty intimidated by teaching Latin (not having ANY experience myself) that this program is perfect for our beginning in the subject.

My boys are 10 & 7 and we just started to h/s the second semester of this past school year, so I am taking it lightly for now to develop the grammar, usage and to make learning a modern language easier for them since they have no experience in that either.

I will heed the warning that for a more serious approach we will have to supplement.

I actually like the teacher's manual because it guides you into extra activities (like some art, extra word root practice, and discussion tips).

Thanks again,

A.

I have the TMs and CDs and have found them invaluable. I had never studied Latin before either, although I have a degree in French and Spanish, which I think helps. I have had no problem following Minimus, and have, in fact, learned a lot, and really enjoyed it too :001_smile:.

Cassy

Honestly, there's not enough in the TM to help you out if you don't know Latin, or at least have a base knowledge of it. I have the TM and the cd and still needed more.

I agree with this.

We did listen to the CD many times. Couldn't have done it without it.

We're using Minimus as a 'fun' way to keep up their latin over the summer in between our regular latin curriculum.

I can sneak in some flashcards each week because the lessons are so short. (I have the TM & audio.)

Fun intro or review. Different way of "studying" latin - but it isn't very rigorous, IMO, unless you build in the review yourself.

I love the idea of Minimus, but it is executed poorly. I used the first book with my son as a supplement to Lively Latin. I was hoping that it would be the little kid version of Cambridge, which I like. Unfortunately, it is like Cambridge in appearance only. It doesn't gradually lead in to a more sophisticated understanding of the language. It just throws things out there without building up to anything.

We abandoned Minimus this year, even though my son loved the story. I would not recommend Minimus as a primary program.