Menu

Has anyone found the "perfect planner"...

that you just love? I need space to plan out assignments for 3 students with plenty of room to write. Not interested in any bells and whistles like household planning, finances, meals, etc. It's so hard to tell what they look like online-- and I've wasted money before. Frustrating! Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :-)

I'm using various resources from the internet to make my own. I will print out the pages I want, put it all together and then take it to Staples to have it bound. That will be my planner. For the kids, I'm going to buy them cheap student planners from Rainbow Resource. The plan is to write out what should be done every week in my planner for reference and then they will write (well, the older ones will) their actual weekly schedules one week at a time. That way we have an accurate record of what really happened and I know how behind we are from where we should be.

I am dealing with the same thing and I just found a ton of printables here:

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/index.htm

http://donnayoung.org/calendars/index.htm

And here (these are even pretty, lol):

http://organizedhome.com/household-notebook/printable-pages

I had already created chore lists and schedules for the kids so I'll just be putting these all in my binder and using it for now.

I tried various paper methods for years. Finally, this year I started using Homeschool Tracker Basic on the computer.

I can set it all up, print out one copy. The work gets done, graded on that copy, I enter it all into the computer, and then print out a final copy for the folder I keep all the completed weeks in.

It has been perfect for me.

Another vote for you make your own.

I use my Circa specifically for this purpose. It was hard justifying the expense at first, but the peace of mind it gives me when I have to add or change something to my planner is priceless.

Wow, those are sweet! But pricey, and confusing. Lol.

I make my own. I too have looked until I am blue in the face and yet to find one that I like. I have found that once I got the basic form made, it was easy to do minor adjustment for the next yr. I love the planner that I made myself and use it very diligently throughout the year.

Expense wise I am not sure it is a lot cheaper than a boughten one but it is ideal for me.:D

I have used a Planner Pad for several years and am training my kids to use them as soon as they hit high school.

http://www.plannerpads.com

I use the spiral bound, personal size with tabs and the pockets. I keep a small legal notepad in the back pocket and stick my Zebra mechanical pencil in the spiral. It works the way I think and it fits in my purse. :)

I feel your pain. I spent weeks looking for the perfect planner (days of the week on the top, not along the side; lined space for planning; no pre-printed subjects; room enough to write for two kids, etc.)

I ended up creating my own in Word. Staples copied and bound it for less than $15.

ouch.

Take a look here. I get the teacher plan book from them. It has lines where you can write. It is $3.60 Cheap. Love them.

Are you talking about a bound planner? If so, I agree with making your own and getting it bound at Staples, Kinkos, Office Depot or some place like that. You could probably pull the pages you want from donnayoung.org.

I use the "Loved Edwardian Planner" in the weekly planning pages from donna young (you can put the days of the week on top and subjects on the side in MSWord if you want), print them off and put them in our school binder in front of the week they're for. I have a big binder and a smaller working binder. The big binder holds all the weeks we've done and those to come. The small binder holds the current 8 weeks we're working on (much easier to handle than the big binder). Every 8 weeks I sit down and plan out the next 8 weeks and write (in pencil because things change rapidly around my house) on the weekly forms what we need to accomplish each day, by subject. This is the easiest system I've come up with. I can't plan an entire year because, well, we never know what's going on, and I'm not THAT organized. I get my full curric, and split it up into 36w (I use tabs for each week) at the beginning of the year, but only actually write out plans 8 weeks at a time so I can easily change what I want. Does all that make sense????

This one has days of the week across the top, lines for writing on, but it does have prewritten subjects. Nice preview pictures too so you know what you're getting first.

TOS has one too, various based on grades. They don't have dates or subjects written in theirs, but they don't have lines to write on. I like their calendar pages, but not fond of the actual planning pages as a whole.

There's also the Homeschool Plan which I like but it has gobs of excess pages in it that I never ever used. Mind you, I also have obtained and used a half dozen {or more others}.. I might be a planner junkie. :lol:

Apart from the Well Planned Day (as its dated) and Donna Youngs forms, I own nearly every digital planner out there ROFL..

I have Pretty Planner (Aussie)

The Master Planner

TOS 2010-2011

TOS 2011-2012

Primary TOS 2011-2012

SN TOS 2011-2012

Homeschool Creations Planner

Mums Toolkit/belt whatever it is

and about 5 other ones I can't remember the name of at the moment.

I'm a planner junkie LOL

So if you have any speicific questions about certain planners, I can probably help :lol:

Another vote for you make your own.

I use my Circa specifically for this purpose. It was hard justifying the expense at first, but the peace of mind it gives me when I have to add or change something to my planner is priceless.

I love my Circa too. I plan our school year in a MSWord table that I have created my self. You can even color code them if needed.

Then I add some blank pages from MomAgenda for basic info, the odd donna young template, print calendars and to do lists from iCal. Punch and put in my Circa Notebook.

I just downloaedd Homeschool Tracker Basic and whatever I don't have there I can get from donnayoung.org. I have a 2 ring binder, so I'll keep everything there. Binding means you can't insert pages if you have too, and I like the flexibility of moving things around, if I need to.

I had my kids use these this year - The Homeschool Student Planner.

I love how these are set up. It is very easy to see what the child is supposed to be working on and it was easy to change things up if necessary.

Yes, they were a little on the pricey side BUT they really did save my cookies on those days when I couldn't remember who was supposed to be doing what - I have 7 students at the moment.

I haven't decided whether or not to purchase them again for next year. I keep telling myself that I will just make something in Excel or Word like several posters already mentioned, but I tend to really procrastinate on things like that.

I have used Homeschool Skedtrack for the last couple of years. I don't keep up with it, but it's an excellent program. It's free and online, but you can print all sorts of reports from it. We are going to go a different route this year to see if it works better for us. I have been printing up various sheets from Donna Young, and might go back to one I created myself when we were doing a loop schedule.

If you are going to create your own, maybe you could consider jumping on the ProClick bandwagon! I am thinking of getting one once I am done purchasing all of the curriculum we need for the upcoming year. :D