Menu

SL 4 or 5 day?? What to do?

Murrayshire

Can anyone help me make the decision on SL 4 day or 5 day??

I will be using core 1+2 and core 5. (plus my k'er following beside us) (three kids altogether)

What is the difference b/w 4day and 5day?? I understand that you use less books with 4 day....Is the work load a little less with 4 day?

I thought if I did the 4 day schedule, I could use day 5 for catch up or just lots of hands on stuff and electives.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

J.Murray

I think there is just less reading and therefore, fewer map and timeline activities. I don't think there are other many other things that you miss. Now that I've said that, I'm not sure about Year 5. That one could be different since it is a bit of a different format.

I haven't ever used the 4-day schedule, so maybe I'm wrong here, but when I look at what is being done in the 4-day vs the 5-day (I often do because I'm curious), the 4-day often does as much as the 5-day just compressed. I don't think you read and do 20% less by doing the 4-day schedule. It seems like you do about 10% less, therefore making it MORE reading each day not less. If you really want to do less on a daily basis, I think the idea of taking the 4-day schedule and spreading it over 5 days would be a good solution.

Those are both hard cores to further condense--the 1+2 because it's already a condensed world history (6000+ years of world history in one year) and Core 5 because it's just packed full. As someone else said, the 4 day isn't much less than the 5 day for this particular core, and the EHE is the same amount of work as the 5 days squished into 4 days--so that really can be a lot. I'd definitely try the 4-day since you are doing two cores, but either be willing to let it stretch out if need be, or be willing to drop some more things if you need to.

Also know that Sonlight tends to jam pack the first few weeks--sometimes once you get into it, the work load seems lighter. So you may want to stagger when you start some things to help it even out, if it starts to feel overwhelming.

Merry :-)

We always buy the 5 day (can't pass up the books....) and get it done as quick as we get it done....which usually means a core in less than a calendar year. We have lots of "other" subjects, and do lots of music and gymnastics, plus I work, so we quickly dropped the exact IG schedule...I do try to do a "week" of the 5 day in about 7 days, but sometimes adjust - little guy gets his core readings in blocks, and at bedtime, while history we keep close to a week at a time Core B right now), and the big kids we just plug on, with goals set for quarters...as in "finish week 24 by September).

All that is to say that if you want all the books, get the 5 day, and modify as you see fit! I can't imagine the 2 cores you have chosen being further condensed into the 4 day schedule....but as I mentionned, we are schedule challenged here and school "all over the place and all the time" - especially our SL, as that part hardly feels like school to the kids!!! Their math, grammar, science and writing is much more regimented...history/reading and read alouds are practically "family time". Core 5, however, will be different because of the EHE...we shall see...

Erin

I have purchased both cores already....just wanted some advice on which day plan to use. If I failed to mention, I will also have my k'er along side with us as well......I'm just a lil' nervous about how I'm going to swing three kids, two cores, and all the other subjects: math, writing, grammar, science!! Wow! And not to mention spanish, health, and typing for my oldest......

Please give me some confidence that I can do this!! Thanks to you all that have pitched in and given me your ear for a bit!

Jana

We have always done the 4 day and have not regretted it. With your kids/schedule, I would use the 4 day and keep life a bit simpler.

:iagree:

I'm doing Core 1 and Core 4 and decided on 4 day. Language Arts and math is most important to us, and we have Latin and so many other things to fit in, that I am trying to make it as easy as possible on myself.

I had a hard time deciding for Core 4 though, because using the 4 day skipped some books I wanted, so I do know how that goes. But I decided to just do the 4 day and when we're "ahead" or have some time, I'll just fit in the books from the 5 day where I can for fun reading. A lot of people do the 4 day and save the 5 day books for vacations or summer break, if one is taken.

Edited by Annie Laurie
accidentally typed decided on 5 day when I meant 4 day. Didn't want to confuse things, sorry!

I had a hard time deciding for Core 4 though, because using the 4 day skipped some books I wanted, so I do know how that goes. But I decided to just do the 4 day and when we're "ahead" or have some time, I'll just fit in the books from the 5 day where I can for fun reading. A lot of people do the 4 day and save the 5 day books for vacations or summer break, if one is taken.

:iagree: I'm reading aloud The Hobbit this summer, which is one of the Core 5 books we will be skipping next year when we do the 4 day schedule. We have co op on our 5th day, so we really need a 4 day plan.

I've never been able to bring myself to do the 4 day because I didn't want to miss any of the books. I have heard people say that with Core 5, not that many books are cut out. Rather, the reading is just more condensed. I really wouldn't want to do the 4-day with Core 1+2 because you are already condensing 2 cores to begin with.

Lisa

We started with the 5 day and at around 12 weeks changed to a 4 day. I have found that sometimes we are ahead and will include a 5 day book. Some history and RA books are so interesting that my kids fly by. All the readers are still included in the 4 day plan only at a faster pace so if you have a weaker reader that can be a problem. My daughter is a strong reader so that is not a problem. With my son we read six days a week so that is also ok. I have bought the five day program and we will probably read some of those books during the holidays. My son has LDs and so does my daughter, we have to do lots of remedial work and therapies so I find that a 4 day works better.