Menu

Curly Girls- Which is your favorite leave-in conditioner?

Cat Walk products are great for my curls (when I wear it curly). I like Curls Rock leave-in conditioner & Curls Rock Curl Booster (this is a spray, but not a hair spray...more of a....well...curl booster :D). For hairspray, I use Kenra sparingly when I need it, but that's not often. I like my curls to be natural and only use hairspray if I know it's gotta stay just the way I fixed it: for a family photo, for instance.

Lisa

I have a tiny haircare budget, these might not be the best, but I like...

Suave sleek anti-frizz creame (in the orange tube). I have the healthy curls version, but it leaves my hair too fuzzy.

Herbal Essence breaks over leave in strength cream (this leaves more curls)

but it leaves my hair too fuzzy.

This is how most anti-frizz and curly products act on my hair -- which is why it's so hard to use just any curly hair product.

The best thing I can do is dry it just a little with a hair dryer and diffuser. Then I let it dry and DO NOT touch it. Once dry, I put the front hairs up in a barette for the rest of the day. The curl stays curly better that way.

I started using Ouidad some time back around 2000 and absolutely love it. It is very expensive though. I tried using Aveda products (Flax Seed Aloe Strong Hold Sculpturing Gel and Light Elements Smoothing Fluid, I think), but I keep going back to Ouidad.

The Deep Treatment is the best product, but I find myself not using it often enough because I want to make it last. Kinda like the sponge episode on Seinfeld, is my hair really Deep Treatment-needy yet? :D

I use the Ouidad Botanical Boost daily.

I used the Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel when we lived in a humid climate.

Now I use Ouidad Curl Quencher Gel because we live in a dry area.

I don't use a spray, but I use Ouidad Clear Control Pomade to soften my hair. You know how those gels can make your hair so crunchy and stiff. This stuff is magic!

Every so often I'll go to the site and update my Curl Profile, so I'm using the right products.

FWIW, I very rarely use a hair dryer. If I have to use it, I'll use the diffuser but I don't dry it completely. I straighten my hair with a flat iron even less frequently.

Dd also uses Ouidad but her hair is not as curly as mine, so she uses different products. She uses Ouidad Clear & Gentle Shampoo, Ouidad Balancing Rinse conditioner, Botanical Boost and Ouidad Tress FX for styling. She also will branch out and use other products -- mostly Aveda. She likes to straighten her hair often and will use Aveda Brilliant Damage Control to protect her hair before straightening.

Check out the reviews on Ouidad at Amazon or elsewhere online. Best of luck to you!

I think I tried the starter set in the beginning and liked it.

i like redken all soft shampoo & conditioner. i either allow it to air dry or i blow dry it about half way, then section if off in two layers and apply dove leave in spray conditioner, dove styling mousse, and/or dove hairspray. air dry the rest of the way, and i usually pin the top or sides back until its fully dry.

This is how most anti-frizz and curly products act on my hair -- which is why it's so hard to use just any curly hair product.

The best thing I can do is dry it just a little with a hair dryer and diffuser. Then I let it dry and DO NOT touch it. Once dry, I put the front hairs up in a barette for the rest of the day. The curl stays curly better that way.

I like the "sleeking" products. It closes the hair shaft a little and gives some sheen. I never blow dry my hair and dh has very little hair. I think the last time our blow dryer was used it was to dry paint.

I have never had much luck with leave-ins, they seem to weigh down my curls....my hair is already long, so weighing down is not an option. I just leave my regular conditioner (no special one) in a bit longer in the shower/bath. Then I wrap my hair up in a old t-shirt...don't use towels on your hair...the fibers of a towel are too rough for your hair (major frizz causers) . Then air dry. Good luck.

Nexxus conditioner the regular one I think they may have a leave in one but the regular one works well. I used this for years about a dime size does well. If your hair seems a little drier than normal you can put more in after you wet your hair let is stay while you finish your shower and rinse out partly but not a full rinse. I also use Biosilk Silkens which I love and maybe a little mouse depending on humidity or amount of curl I am in the mood for.

for the last 4 months, I have just been using organic aloe vera gel, sometimes mixed with a little essential oil. I scrunch it in while wet and then diffuse upside down. It is actually the best of many, many things I have tried, and no harmful chemicals- all natural! I don't know why, but my hair seems to respond to it better than any other conditioners or 'curly' products I have tried.

I'm with Apiphobic... Ouidad products have worked the best for me. I find other places to crimp so that I can get them, plus my family knows what to get me for Christmas!

Oh, cool. How did you find out about Ouidad and when did you start using it? The few curly girls I know usually have never heard of it, so I'm really curious. I can't even remember how I first heard about it. I'm thinking it was in a magazine or else I read the reviews about the book CurlTalk on Amazon.

Apiphobic,

I think it was a curly message board of some kind... curlygirl.com or something like that??? I figured, what the heck, I'll try it once. I figured to use one bottle's worth of the products and see if I was happy. Inside of two weeks, I was getting compliments on my hair. So I was SOLD before getting 1/2 way though the stuff.

Between that and a hairdress that actually HAS curly hair and so actually GETS how to cut it, I've been lucky!

Between that and a hairdress that actually HAS curly hair and so actually GETS how to cut it, I've been lucky!
Wow, that's a blessing! I can't tell you how many times my hair ends up about 4 inches or more shorter than I want it, cuz people don't take into consideration that it will curl up when it's dry!

Thought it might help to see a picture and gauge for yourself its healthiness. This was taken at night and the lighting isn't great, so maybe I'll try to take one in the daylight some time later this week.

2509880515_d0c3db40f6.jpg?v=0

And, I just wanted to share a little story that'll explain why I prefer to use hair salon products vs. store-bought.

Once upon a time, a college student visited her friend who was going to cosmetology school. When the future cosmetologist saw the shampoo/conditioner I'd brought, she launched into a tirade about how horrible it was for my hair and that I should throw it right out. Memory escapes me (much too often these days), but I believe she said something to the effect that the ingredient/s in said shampoo was the same thing they put in Tide detergent. She lectured me on the benefits of salon products and recommended some to me.

Fast forward to another period in college student's life. Still forgetting the details (Neil Diamond was wrong when he said memories won't go), but we had a speaker in our modeling class (well, it was a smallish city) and one of the discussions dealt with hair care products. Once again the evils of store-bought were trotted out for display.

And lastly, my sil also went to cosmetology school and, although she only does hair on the side now because she "retired" from salon work in order to get a job with regular hours, she only uses salon products. I think her favorite is Paul Mitchell.

Anyway, I know it's more expensive, but I've found that salon hair care products are much better for my hair. I think I started with Aveda, moved to Paul Mitchell, and finally settled with Ouidad.

I've also read that store-bought products can lead to hair loss, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of that statement. I think I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

So, another thing to think about when you research these hair products. Good luck!

Beautiful, Stacy!

Do you mind me asking -- do you color your hair? Mine only looked that "even-toned" back in the days when I colored it, that's why I was wondering. Or, perhaps it's the great product. :D

Also, what shampoo and conditioner do you use? How often do you shampoo?

What product do you use to define the curl? the gel, I'm assuming?

Do you use the pomade daily?

Thanks!

Beautiful, Stacy!

Do you mind me asking -- do you color your hair? Mine only looked that "even-toned" back in the days when I colored it, that's why I was wondering. Or, perhaps it's the great product. :D

Also, what shampoo and conditioner do you use? How often do you shampoo?

What product do you use to define the curl? the gel, I'm assuming?

Do you use the pomade daily?

Thanks!

Oh, yes, color me beautiful! ;) I've had highlights for years.

2510873366_049141b236.jpg?v=0

Then I went red for a while -- not permanent though, just a stain.

2510821666_af19f72c7a.jpg?v=0

Red's beautiful but it fades fast. So I went back to highlights ...

Grew my hair out.

2510865092_e11760a5e6.jpg?v=0

And cut it short.

2510873340_26f8e50389.jpg?v=0

Anyway, my hair's gotten really dark in the past few years and the grey is starting to creep in. I keep going back and coloring it even though I'm getting tired of it. Can you tell I like red?

2510832146_2b12f9638b.jpg?v=0

I know I wrote something about whether or not to do the dance with hiding the grey. I'll have to look for that, too.

I use the Curl Quencher conditioner regularly and the Curl Quencher shampoo sporadically. Yes, the gel is what defines the curl. I watched a video on how to apply it, but I can't find it on the site. I even looked on YouTube. If I could figure out how to upload it ...

I don't use the gel and pomade daily. Sometimes I'll rinse my hair, condition it, rinse out most of the conditioner, put on the botanical boost, and just put my hair up for the day.

Sometimes I'll switch out and use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner. I've read that your hair can become dull after using the same product for a while, so I'll switch for about a week before resuming Ouidad.

If I'm going in for a coloring, I'll use the Ouidad Deep Treatment a few days beforehand. Afterwards, I'll use the Aveda Color Conserve shampoo and conditioner for a while before going back to Ouidad.

But yeah, I read CurlTalk and CurlyGirl. I can go without shampooing, but my daughter needs it. I've never gone completely shampoo-free though.

You know, I may regret this tomorrow and pull all the pics off ... c'est la vie!

Oh Stacey, thank you for the fabulous post and all of the details! :001_smile: Don't take the pictures down.

I was hoping you'd say you colored your hair, because there is no way I could get mine to be that even-toned and I'd be depresses. ;) I would love to get some highlights or something. I already have seriously white hairs coming through.

I skip two days on shampoo, and it has worked well. I think my biggest problem is not being thrilled about my hair dresser.

Ah ha, I found it! My little rant about gray hair and the never-ending cycle to hide it ...

I feel like a whiner, but why didn't anybody tell me that gray hair can stand out even more after you've had your hair colored? (m)

I finally went in and had some lowlights and a little red put in to try to cover up all the gray that keeps spreading like a virus on my head. It's actually lasted pretty long but now I've noticed with my roots growing out my gray seems to have increased exponentially! Fortunately, I've talked myself out of chopping my hair all off, but now I'm wonder if I'll be stuck in a vicious cycle of coloring and touching up my hair to hide the gray. And now I find out after the fact, of course, that gray hair doesn't hold the color very long, so that means more frequent colorings. I don't know if it's all worth it, so maybe I'll just get off this merry-go-round and become a roan! ;)

I think I'm still in shock though, because my 60-something yo parents have less gray than I do! Dh even has less gray and he's five years older than I. Any BTDT tips and reassurances for me? Please tell me there are other 37 yo's who aren't ready for gray hair!

Ranted out,

Stacey

(And here's the link so you can go walking through the park and reminiscing. May 11-15, 2007, egads.)

Ouidad is too pricy for me.

I have gone totally natural and my hair thanks me for it.

No shampoo.

Condition ends, Doc Bronners soap on scalp. Rinse soap and conditioner out.

I use Whole Foods' 365 in Mint. It's under four dollars for huge bottle ( 24 ounces?).

Then condition again with conditioner.

When damp, put a teeny bit of Vatika hair oil on ends.

Some Aloe Vera once in a while.

Apple cider rinse about once a month.

That's about it. Very cheap,and the ball of puff on my head is now nearly ringlets. Very nice.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give a heads-up about this nifty little product for bathtubs, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Found this at Bed Bath & Beyond and love it! We're constantly looking for something to prevent clogged drains because of all the hair in this family, but most of them slow down the water drainage. This one works wonderfully!

Stop-A-Clog