Menu

Need a good book for the beach

I'm looking for a good book to read while we're down the shore. I'm coming off of the most difficult, painful 2.5 years of my life, and I don't want anything heavy or intellectual or difficult. I'm actually thinking a new kids' chapter book might work! LOL

My mother just died on May 22nd. I'm feeling completely numb and in denial right now.....anyhoo, I'd prefer to stay away from anything sad or dark or depressing. I don't do romance novels, so that won't work either.

Any ideas??

I'm looking for a good book to read while we're down the shore. I'm coming off of the most difficult, painful 2.5 years of my life, and I don't want anything heavy or intellectual or difficult. I'm actually thinking a new kids' chapter book might work! LOL

My mother just died on May 22nd. I'm feeling completely numb and in denial right now.....anyhoo, I'd prefer to stay away from anything sad or dark or depressing. I don't do romance novels, so that won't work either.

Any ideas??

I'm sorry about your mom. :grouphug:

I've been reading horror and end-of-the-world type novels lately so I am no help in that dept. but I wanted ot give you a hug. :grouphug:

I'm sorry about your mom. :grouphug:

I've been reading horror and end-of-the-world type novels lately so I am no help in that dept. but I wanted ot give you a hug. :grouphug:

Thank you! and LOL....horror and end-of-the-world.....I'll pass :lol:

I wish JK Rowling would just write another series by Sunday....HP would be perfect! :D

I finally read The Help and I believe you wouldn't categorize it as sad, dark or depressing.

ETA: sorry about your mom. My mom just got out of the hospital--she was in the hospital for a month and it was scary and stressful and I feel blessed that I have a chance to spend more time with her.

If some of your 2.5 years has to do with family dysfunction avoid Monica McInerney novels.

Edited by betty

Have you read The Mysterious Benedict Society books? They aren't as good as HP or others but they are fun and easy. I liked the first one in particular.

Or older mysteries (I like new mysteries too but sometimes they tend more to the dark and twisted). Think Agatha Christie or Doroth Sayers or Ngaio Marsh. Or a newer series that is fun is the modern one about Sherlock Holmes, starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Or the Amelia Peabody Egypt series by Elizabeth Peters. I always find mysteries a nice light fun read.

Sorry about your mom. :grouphug:

What about, Whatever You Do, Don't Run - True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison? It's funny and fun with each chapter a different story allowing you to read as much or as little as you want at a sitting.

My whole family loved it.

He also has a sequel called Don't Look Behind You that is also good if you like the first.

Thank you! and LOL....horror and end-of-the-world.....I'll pass :lol:

I wish JK Rowling would just write another series by Sunday....HP would be perfect! :D

The end of the world one would be a great beach read. It is 800 pages and I couldn't put it down. There's no sex and while there is violence, it isn't graphic.

But the whole book has a melancholia feel to it, just an underlying aching sadness that you do not need now!

:grouphug:

Given your parameters:

Have you read The Devil Wears Prada?

I have rarely laughed so hard when reading a book-- read it with white wine in your Kleen Kanteen.

Do you hate Tina Fey? If you don't, Bossy Pants is worth your time.

Edited by LibraryLover