Menu

What grade level would you consider ETC 1 and 2?

I started ETC with ds at the end of K and will continue through 1st grade until we are finish. His fine motor skills are light years behind his reading ability, which is why I waited until the end of K to start. But we are doing 4 pages/day X 3-4 days/week in order to catch up. So I agree whenever your dc writing ability is cable of doing the workbooks I would start then.

K or Pre-K.

ETA: The "writing" component (that is to say the amount of handwriting in ETC) may very well be "ahead" of a child's ability to grasp the "phonics" lessons (which are presented in a fun and gently-basic way). The nice thing about ETC is it can be done "orally" or with a reduced amount of writing if the child is ready to read, but is still working on their fine motor skills and handwriting.

I prefer separating out the "phonics" portions (which are terrific for young kids) from handwriting practice as I don't want to mix a subject that can be frustrating for children (handwriting) with learning to read. this is a very easy adaptation to make with ETC.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I would say 1 is definitely kindy material - it's CVC words. But I also don't think a kid who doesn't do it until grade 1 is behind - some kids just aren't quite blending very well yet at that age. We have found ETC to be better as a way of shoring up the foundations than actually teaching. So in that sense, a kid might learn the material in K, but ETC might be better for reviewing in 1st. Also, it can require a lot of writing from the perspective a new writer so some K'ers might not be ready for it.

I think for the most ETC users, they'd be safe going with A-C for K. Books 1-3 for grade 1. Next 5,6 then 4 for grade 2 (yes out of order). Finally 7-8 for grade 3.

For homeschoolers who start phonics instruction early, subtract a year.

I think for the most ETC users, they'd be safe going with A-C for K. Books 1-3 for grade 1. Next 5,6 then 4 for grade 2 (yes out of order). Finally 7-8 for grade 3.

For homeschoolers who start phonics instruction early, subtract a year.

Or in your case subtract 2 years :D

Bill

K or Pre-K.

ETA: The "writing" component (that is to say the amount of handwriting in ETC) may very well be "ahead" of a child's ability to grasp the "phonics" lessons (which are presented in a fun and gently-basic way). The nice thing about ETC is it can be done "orally" or with a reduced amount of writing if the child is ready to read, but is still working on their fine motor skills and handwriting.

I prefer separating out the "phonics" portions (which are terrific for young kids) from handwriting practice as I don't want to mix a subject that can be frustrating for children (handwriting) with learning to read. this is a very easy adaptation to make with ETC.

Bill

This is exactly what we're doing with the ETC Primers for my 3yo right now. I just let him write as much as he wants. He loves coloring the pictures and circling or x'ing the correct answers. He "can" write the letters, but it's definitely not his fave activity at the moment (he's not there dexterity-wise). He is learning a TON of phonics though, so I'm glad we're working through them already. When we're done with the primers, we'll start book 1. I'm thinking we will do it sometime while he's 4, so books 1-2 will be Pre-K for us.

HTH!! :)

This is exactly what we're doing with the ETC Primers for my 3yo right now. I just let him write as much as he wants. He loves coloring the pictures and circling or x'ing the correct answers. He "can" write the letters, but it's definitely not his fave activity at the moment (he's not there dexterity-wise). He is learning a TON of phonics though, so I'm glad we're working through them already. When we're done with the primers, we'll start book 1. I'm thinking we will do it sometime while he's 4, so books 1-2 will be Pre-K for us.

HTH!! :)

That is the same "schedule" we used. I found the ETC approach very engaging, humorous, and effective at these ages. The handwriting demands were "out of sync" developmentally--but I was interested in promoting reading--so modifying ETC (easy to do) worked perfect for us.

It was an additional "boon" that it was not "boring."

Bill

We started at age 3 and finished Book 7 before age 6, mostly orally. We did it for learning to read as well as some exposure to spelling. My two kids read very well because of it. Sometimes they spelled words with tiles or orally and sometimes wrote the words down.

Edited by aomom

Guest drewmama

We did A-C in PreK, 1-3 for K, 4-6 for 1st, and will use 7-8 for 2nd next year. We probably could have been done already, but I didn't want to push the writing so I let him do less pages and take it just a little slower. He reads well above grade level, so it is kind of review and to make sure that he really does understand all the rules. Plus he really likes it. Definitely been a favorite around here.

My kids didn't love ETC so much that it would have been a good fit for us for K when the writing would have been too much for the kids. We did early phonics with other things and began with book 2 in first grade.

:iagree:My kids are workbook haters for the most part, which I think is pretty developmentally normal for their age. We get to the phonics with games & reading & tiles and other methods.

I would think it would depend on how you are using it. Many use it as supplemental or review, in which case doing 1-3 in first would be on track. For K this year we used parts of 1-4 (supplemented with it with where we were in our phonics program). Next year in first, when we complete our grade one phonics (in November) we will go back and complete through ETC 6 (skipping much of the writing).

My 4 1/2 year old twins are just finishing the "B" level primer. We started the "A" primer in January and will probably finish up "C" by the end of summer. I am planning to go ahead and start Book 1...one of my girls loves handwriting and one hates it so I just skip the handwriting intensive pages with her. The phonics they are learning is well worth it.