Menu

So frustrated in my dd's ped not considering a certain med...

Some of you may remember I post about my now 12 yo dd who has controlled epilepsy.

She had a grand mal as she was turning 8. After that she was wearied from having absence seizures which lasted about a year. Then she became seizure free.

As a result of her condition she's developed some issues. The psychiatrist said add, adhd and odd for which she was put on respiridal. That was a terrible med for her and I took her off. Next came Adderall...helped initially, hit a plateau and she showed more rage while on this med so I took her off of it. Enter Focalin...it seemed to help, but she showed signs of rage again and off she came from Aderall. However, she was not on F enough....she was on R and A quite a long time.

Now her psychiatrist moved out of state.

Next up is going to her neurologist and asking for an add,adhd med. He said not now but he would consider it (that was 2 months ago). I called and said we need it now. He declined.

So, I went to her ped and he just now called and said (after he emailed the neurol) that he/ped thinks it's a "mood" issue and not add, adhd.

This is a new ped. We switched last year and the new ped saw her for the first time 2 months ago for eczema. He calls tonight and talked to my dh.

Now, I'm asking you...what am I to think about this?

We do not have good coverage and out of pocket money for BOTH a psychologist and psychiatrist.

She needs therapy from the psychologist but meds from psychiatrist and that's not going to happen.

The former psychiatrist was a very experienced Christian woman who attended our church and she "worked" with us. She only asked for our co-pay of $30 a visit and she did not file insurance. That was such a blessing, but that situation will not be repeated.

Insight? Suggestions?

What is the difference b/t mood and add,adhd? Can they "present" symptoms that mirror one another or are they completely different.

I don't know what to do. My dd has something going on, but we keep hitting a brick wall. She has noooooo memory. She does not remember....how does that work with homeschooling I ask? :tongue_smilie:

:confused:

It definately sounds like there might be more involved. Continued rage in response to the medications you mentioned could be a sign of underlying issues other than ADD/ADHD. I think the neuro and peds are correct in wanting to consult with a psychiatrist/psychologist to determine what the real issue might be. I would ask the peds for recommendations of agencies to help you obtain these services for your DD, taking into account the lack of insurance coverage and cost of services, one might be CMH. Once a proper eval has been done a peds or neuro might continue a prescription but I can certainly see why they would be cautious to prescribe them without a full evaluation. :grouphug:

We've already traveled that road. Actually 2 years ago my dd went to a neuropsychologist for a 2 - 1/2 day @ eval. Then she went to the psychiatrist and was eval'd. The diagnosis was made. How many evals does it take??????? :confused:

What was the diagnosis? Have you laid that diagnosis at the feed of the pediatrician and asked why he thinks that diagnosis is inaccurate?

If you are interested in another opinion, you could ask for a referral to a developmental pediatrician. I can't remember how they differ, but I know my pediatrician was willing to write a referral there if we didn't get the help we needed with a psychologist.

We never followed thru with the DP, but we probably should again. At the time, though, DS was so non-compliant, I didn't know what good it would be to take him to see someone else. As it was the most we got out of the psychologist appointments (where he didn't really talk) was more tools for me to use in negotiating and managing his behavior. Which was great, but we stopped going because it just seemed to only be for me.

I really do not know much about this at all, but here are a couple things that come to mind:

My sister has controlled epilepsy (has all her life), and her memory has always been affected as a result. She had to work harder with study skills than the rest of us, but eventually she figured out her own methods that worked.

Secondly, my husband had a couple seizures as a result of his stroke, and has been on seizure meds for year now. Every doctor he has met with has warned us that seizure meds can cause anger and other mood issues, especially in children. Is there a chance that your daughter's mood issues could be a result of her seizure meds?

Yes, bingo and you get the star. That is what my dh and I have been saying..that the dose she is on is "too much" for her. We mention this every.time. dd has f/u appt with neurol...about every 4-6 months. THANK YOU for saying this as we've been the only ones to have this insight.

And I've said in other threads that the symptoms for too much meds "may" mirror those in which too little is taken.

Good to hear your sister is doing well. And, sorry to read about your dh. Although it sounds like he's coming along and will improve as time goes on. That's wonderful!!

Thanks for your input!

If the drugs are "causing" her ADD/ADHD/ODD then does she really have those things? I am not trying to argue or dibelieve. It's just that I know DD was on a bad-for-her-med that made her angry and anti-social. She was still little but she'd walk around muttering to herself about things that made her angry. She didn't want to interact with anyone. I can only imagine what she might have been diagnosed with!

But once she was off that med, the symptoms stopped.

There are seizure meds that are also used for other things related to psych issues (like lamictal). Maybe there are more that your neuro can switch your DD to?

:grouphug:

I really do not know much about this at all, but here are a couple things that come to mind:

My sister has controlled epilepsy (has all her life), and her memory has always been affected as a result. She had to work harder with study skills than the rest of us, but eventually she figured out her own methods that worked.

Secondly, my husband had a couple seizures as a result of his stroke, and has been on seizure meds for year now. Every doctor he has met with has warned us that seizure meds can cause anger and other mood issues, especially in children. Is there a chance that your daughter's mood issues could be a result of her seizure meds?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Your post really touches me. My DD has epilepsy and you've written about your sis before in other threads I started. Both my parents had strokes and I think one of the reasons I have such a visceral reaction when DD has a bad seizure is because the blank look in her eyes afterwards reminds me so much of what my parents looked like after their strokes. And Like them, DD takes a while to "come back" to herself. It hurts my head & stomach to even think about.

epilepsy is so tough because it has to be controlled, ya know. One of my students had worsening of her epilepsy as a result of an ADHD med that on the package insert says not for children with a history of seizures. She is off of that med, but her seizures are not as well controlled now. Parents are their children's advocate, so carefully read all the info about any new drug before starting it.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you find the help you need.

{gently}

As she has said above, epilepsy affects one's memory. It kills brain cells, after all. Paths have to be re-routed.

Stims are especially tricky for people with a history of seizures because they literally go to the heart of the problem: stimulation of neurons. Depending on where a person's seizures emanate, how well controlled they are, etc. they may be able to tolerate mildly stimulating meds - but not usually. It is the Catch-22 of seizures: they make you tired, they fog your brain - but the things that "undo" that only make them worse.

As a result of her condition she's developed some issues. The psychiatrist said add, adhd and odd for which she was put on respiridal. That was a terrible med for her and I took her off. Next came Adderall...helped initially, hit a plateau and she showed more rage while on this med so I took her off of it. Enter Focalin...it seemed to help, but she showed signs of rage again and off she came from Aderall. However, she was not on F enough....she was on R and A quite a long time.

All of that points to mood. Honestly, it is really hard to parse mood and ADHD in a little kid who is comorbid for something else. When they are only ADHD, well, yeah, it's pretty evident. When they're adults, and you can look all the way back to childhood and see a pattern - that's easy, too. But for a kid with seizures, or any chronic health issue really, a doc has to be pretty experienced with comorbid disorders to differentiate between straight up ADHD and a mood disorder.

Oh - and a mood disorder emanating FROM an organic disease tends to present a bit differently from the "book standard" as well - making things even more difficult.

The biggest cr@pper of them all (and I always hate saying this) is that it doesn't necessarily "get better". And that doesn't mean it is anyone's fault. As in - that someone made a poor diagnosis, or someone didn't try hard enough, etc. Illnesses have a way of moving along at their own speed, on their own path. The advice I've always been given is good food, good exercise, good environment, and good research. There is usually something pretty exciting "coming down the pike" that can help out.

On that note, since stims are out of the equation, there has been exciting research done with the ALS drug Riluzole (RILUTEK). It has anticonvulsant properties, is good for OCD, and helps with depression. I don't know what the pediatric designation is in general, but it tested positive for OCD. Another place to look may be something like very low dose Lamictal (I'm not sure how it works in Peds, but in adults, it is never pro-convulsant, but it does have a beneficial stimulating effect under 125mg). Topamax is a real go-to drug for raging that often brings clarity to people at low doses - 12.5 - 25mg (it is the higher doses that bring on the "dopamax" effect).

Just some random thoughts there. I wish I knew more about Pediatric dosing - it is just SO different than adult. But... brain fog. It is all I can do to keep up with the Adult stuff. :-(

My son has epilepsy. His seizures have been particularly difficult to treat. He has a Vagus Nerve Stimulator, is on Lamictal, and Zonegran. This fall my son was having a lot of "issues", hallucinations, lethargy, short fuse, etc. The neuro suggested an EEG. We didn't capture any actual events on the 24 hour EEG but it showed lots of abnormal spikes (which is common for people with epilepsy). We met with the neuro and expressed that we felt that many of these symptoms could be from medication. The neuro was hesitant to reduce the medication because my son's blood work showed the meds were in a normal range. We asked him to let us try. So in December we reduced his Zonegran and we immediately saw improvement with all of his symptoms. Even though, technically, he wasn't overmedicated the dosage he was on was still affecting him.

He ended up having his most intense seizure after we reduced his meds but he is still much happier and has less hallucinations, outbursts, etc. We just had another follow up appointment. The neuro agreed that there is a balance between seizure control and quality of life. We are going for quality of life at this point. My son would have to be heavily medicated for him to be completely seizure free. He still has a seizure about once a week and they are worse than they were before. But for him, right now, this is the best choice.

I sincerely hope you find a way to get your daughter help. Is there any way she would qualify for medicaid? I know in our state children can qualify for state health insurance much easier than adults. Your daughter needs good consistent care.

Please keep us updated!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We've already traveled that road. Actually 2 years ago my dd went to a neuropsychologist for a 2 - 1/2 day @ eval. Then she went to the psychiatrist and was eval'd. The diagnosis was made. How many evals does it take??????? :confused:

I'm sorry to say that it's common for mental illnesses to be misdiagnosed. I'm wondering if her seizures could have caused an injury to her brain, which possibly could have brought on mental illness. My 15 yos suffered a double concussion and has never been the same since. We've had MANY behavioral issues, anger, he's delusional, etc. He doesn't see it but his brother, father and I see that the old kid is simply no longer here. I've spent countless hours reading about head injuries and mental illness. Brain injuries brought on by ANY means *can* trigger mental illness in those with a weakness (genetic) and I'm certain this happened to my son.

In your state, isn't there some sort of service your dd could qualify for? I do think she's going to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. Ds did the neuropsyche testing, as did I after my head injury. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME. When he was evaluated by a psychiatrist we had tons of papers filled out by us, the parents, him, his teachers at school, his guidance counselor and the dean of students. IF your dd is homeschooled they will have to handle it differently. I had already made my own diagnosis, after much research, and never mentioned it to the dr. *SHE* made the same diagnosis after much input from many different people. Only then was he finally put on medication that *helped* him. Previously we had him see a dr. to medicate him but he eventually told us he couldn't help us until we have a proper diagnosis because ds had reacted to two of the medications he tried.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:I know how hard it is. BTW, ds is on Abilify. It supposedly gives him a longer fuse and helps him to do better. He does seem to be doing better now but it's only been a month.

Yes, bingo and you get the star. That is what my dh and I have been saying..that the dose she is on is "too much" for her. We mention this every.time. dd has f/u appt with neurol...about every 4-6 months. THANK YOU for saying this as we've been the only ones to have this insight.

And I've said in other threads that the symptoms for too much meds "may" mirror those in which too little is taken.

Good to hear your sister is doing well. And, sorry to read about your dh. Although it sounds like he's coming along and will improve as time goes on. That's wonderful!!

Thanks for your input!

I didn't know about this. IF you know in your heart this is what's going on, keep finding help until someone agrees with you. Mom's gut is rarely ever wrong.

In NH we can take out extra state-sponsored health insurance, giving the child all the treatment/services they may need. There is nothing needed to qualify, and having good insurance won't even prevent you from being eligible. I remember checking into it when we adopted and our insurance wouldn't cover certain therapies. I'm wondering what is available to you in your state. Most people have NO idea how many services they would qualify for, and sadly most don't even know how to find out.

If the drugs are "causing" her ADD/ADHD/ODD then does she really have those things? I am not trying to argue or dibelieve. It's just that I know DD was on a bad-for-her-med that made her angry and anti-social. She was still little but she'd walk around muttering to herself about things that made her angry. She didn't want to interact with anyone. I can only imagine what she might have been diagnosed with!

But once she was off that med, the symptoms stopped.

There are seizure meds that are also used for other things related to psych issues (like lamictal). Maybe there are more that your neuro can switch your DD to?

Yep, we heard this from one of the drs. If the meds are "causing" the issues, then she doesn't have the issue itself. Thanks for reminding me of that. For 4 years she's been lamictal for her seizures. It does have a behavioral "effect" so we upped her dose a bit to help with her behavior issues.

I don't know. Are there counseling centers anywhere near you that charge on a sliding scale?

I just inquired of one last week and am waiting to hear back if they can offer us a "partial" scholarship.

{gently}

As she has said above, epilepsy affects one's memory. It kills brain cells, after all. Paths have to be re-routed. Ah, my friend Asta...I was going to shout for you kiddo.

Yes, re-routed. But, we were also told at my dd's age since her body/brain are still growing that kids actually "grow" new neuro pathways!!

Stims are especially tricky for people with a history of seizures because they literally go to the heart of the problem: stimulation of neurons. Depending on where a person's seizures emanate, how well controlled they are, etc. they may be able to tolerate mildly stimulating meds - but not usually. It is the Catch-22 of seizures: they make you tired, they fog your brain - but the things that "undo" that only make them worse. Explain please!!!

All of that points to mood. What points? Honestly, it is really hard to parse mood and ADHD in a little kid who is comorbid for something else. When they are only ADHD, well, yeah, it's pretty evident. When they're adults, and you can look all the way back to childhood and see a pattern - that's easy, too. But for a kid with seizures, or any chronic health issue really, a doc has to be pretty experienced with comorbid disorders to differentiate between straight up ADHD and a mood disorder. Yes, so true!!

Oh - and a mood disorder emanating FROM an organic disease tends to present a bit differently from the "book standard" as well - making things even more difficult.

The biggest cr@pper of them all (and I always hate saying this) is that it doesn't necessarily "get better". And that doesn't mean it is anyone's fault. As in - that someone made a poor diagnosis, or someone didn't try hard enough, etc. Illnesses have a way of moving along at their own speed, on their own path. The advice I've always been given is good food, good exercise, good environment, and good research. There is usually something pretty exciting "coming down the pike" that can help out.

On that note, since stims are out of the equation, there has been exciting research done with the ALS drug Riluzole (RILUTEK). It has anticonvulsant properties, is good for OCD, and helps with depression. I don't know what the pediatric designation is in general, but it tested positive for OCD. Another place to look may be something like very low dose Lamictal (I'm not sure how it works in Peds, but in adults, it is never pro-convulsant, but it does have a beneficial stimulating effect under 125mg). Topamax is a real go-to drug for raging that often brings clarity to people at low doses - 12.5 - 25mg (it is the higher doses that bring on the "dopamax" effect). She's been on lamictal 200 mg and increased to 250 mg/24 hours to help with her behavior. She's always tested at the lowest range and maybe even below it....sure close to it. Zarontin is 750 mg/24 hr period. I know you've suggested Topamax before. If we move her off of one med to another, will she stay at the same threshold? Stay seizure free? She's been seizure free....that's not the issue. Her behavior is the issue. I'm afraid to risk changing to Top.. to "better" her behavior, but put her at risk for seizure activity.

Just some random thoughts there. I wish I knew more about Pediatric dosing - it is just SO different than adult. But... brain fog. It is all I can do to keep up with the Adult stuff. :-(

My son has epilepsy. His seizures have been particularly difficult to treat. He has a Vagus Nerve Stimulator, is on Lamictal, and Zonegran. This fall my son was having a lot of "issues", hallucinations, lethargy, short fuse, etc. The neuro suggested an EEG. We didn't capture any actual events on the 24 hour EEG but it showed lots of abnormal spikes (which is common for people with epilepsy). We met with the neuro and expressed that we felt that many of these symptoms could be from medication. The neuro was hesitant to reduce the medication because my son's blood work showed the meds were in a normal range. We asked him to let us try. So in December we reduced his Zonegran and we immediately saw improvement with all of his symptoms. Even though, technically, he wasn't overmedicated the dosage he was on was still affecting him.

He ended up having his most intense seizure after we reduced his meds but he is still much happier and has less hallucinations, outbursts, etc. We just had another follow up appointment. The neuro agreed that there is a balance between seizure control and quality of life. We are going for quality of life at this point. My son would have to be heavily medicated for him to be completely seizure free. He still has a seizure about once a week and they are worse than they were before. But for him, right now, this is the best choice.

I sincerely hope you find a way to get your daughter help. Is there any way she would qualify for medicaid? I know in our state children can qualify for state health insurance much easier than adults. Your daughter needs good consistent care.

Please keep us updated!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I hear what you're saying. My dd's eeg's actually look great on a repeated basis. She spiked only 2 times and each time was under 1 second, which for a ped patient great. The neurol said one time such a little spike may actually represent the "activity" inherent in all kids b/c they are generally revved up. :grouphug: What do you have to do to qualify for medicaid?

I'd be tempted to travel to see that wonderful psychiatrist.

Hmm.. Didn't even think about it. She is only about 4 hours away. And, we have friends in the area. Something to think about. I'd have to check; I'm not sure she still has her practice. I think she's teaching. And, her dh just unexpectedly passed away so she's dealing with alot herself.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sweet, thanks...need that. :grouphug:

The above statements are why I believe it would be in the best interest to pursue a psychologist/psychiatrist that could work with the peds and neuro to come to proper conclusions. It isn't one thing, they all impact each other and need a team approach. A good psychiatrist would recognize this potential and work with the neuro. Yes, things do change over time, assessments need to be re-evaluated, diagnoses can change. It can be a windy twisted road. I hope you find the proper path for your DD.

The above statements are why I believe it would be in the best interest to pursue a psychologist/psychiatrist that could work with the peds and neuro to come to proper conclusions. It isn't one thing, they all impact each other and need a team approach. A good psychiatrist would recognize this potential and work with the neuro. Yes, things do change over time, assessments need to be re-evaluated, diagnoses can change. It can be a windy twisted road. I hope you find the proper path for your DD.

How can one get all doctors to work together? Is it by letter, phone, email? I agree and dh and I have said for years that they all need to talk to one another, but to no avail.

You are right....things do change over time. Perhaps based on that it is time for another eval..didn't think of it that way. Thanks!

How can one get all doctors to work together? Is it by letter, phone, email? I agree and dh and I have said for years that they all need to talk to one another, but to no avail.

You are right....things do change over time. Perhaps based on that it is time for another eval..didn't think of it that way. Thanks!

From what I understand, going through a Children's hospital, where all disciplines are represented, is often a good way to be assured of a team approach. I don't know if you live where this is possible, though.

From what I understand, going through a Children's hospital, where all disciplines are represented, is often a good way to be assured of a team approach. I don't know if you live where this is possible, though.

Got it! GREAT! I will check into it. This just may be an answer.

My 2nd daughter had seizures from the time she was 9 months old to 3yrs of age. What seizure med is your daughter on?

My daughter was on Phenobarbital. The only issue she had in the beginning with it was that it threw her balance off for a few days as her body adjusted to the med. After that she was fine.

Its hard to say with seizures as to how children will react to the medications. If she's on psychological drugs they can have some serious side effects as they really have not been tested on children but adults.

I know they can have awful affects because my husband was put on some medications like Wellbutrin and so forth. Some he had physical reactions to like hives and some he literally was angry with them.

The trick is finding the natural cause to the problems. These drugs only hide the real problem.

Which evidently are her seizures.

Seizures have a long term effect. So are you saying she has no long term or short term memory?

My daughter's short term memory was affected , she's been seizure free for about 8yrs now. But her memory was affected by the seizures. If I can get the information into her long term memory she's good to go. The trick is finding the trick that will get it in there and stay there. Children like this thrive off of spiral curriculum, things that constantly repeat themselves. I find that my 11 yr old does best with curriculums like Saxon , Christian Light's math and grammar. Anything that constantly repeats itself. I found that my daughter is a very visual learner. So anything that you can do to draw pictures as you explain a topic, use videos etc. Will be very helpful. Lapbooking was and still is a HUGE help for her. One year we were studying Greek Mythology and she just couldn't remember a thing about it. It wasn't until we made a lapbook that she remembered the information. Fast forward to this year and the girls' school bought a star lab to study astronomy. So the principal who was teaching the class came up to me and told me how impressed she was of Katie's knowledge of Greek mythology. Low and behold it came back to me that we did that lapbook and that's what helped K remember all that information. So anything visual you can use is great. They are not auditory learners by any means. You really need to use memory to remember what you've heard.

I hope some of that helps. I didn't deal with any ADD or ADHD with my daughter. She is actually my best when it comes to doing her school work or focusing on any one thing. So I don't have much if any advice there. I'm best when it comes to talking about physical illness.

But what I can say is if your not getting the results you need, if doctors aren't listening to you and blowing you off. Its time to get another opinion. I know its hard if you don't have good coverage but this is the time to become your child's best advocate. Only you know what is best and you know what is and isn't going on with your child. They need you to fight for them.

Find a group that has children and families in them. See if anyone is experiencing what you are. Get some better doctor recommendations.

Here is a great link look on the left hand side and you will see some links to Seizure groups:

http://www.complexchild.com/neurology.html

I know for my youngest who was born with congenital birth defects we were getting horrible care here at home.We finally had to go out of state. So we see doctors in three cities , and two states. If that's what has to be it has to be.

Also check into your state welfare. I know here in PA if your child is diagnosed with any medical condition they automatically qualify for state Medicaid. There is also the CHIP program ( Children's Health Insurance Program). If your state doesn't do that you can check out for the Katie Beckett Waiver, TERFA or HCBS Waivers.

Check out this article from Complex Child for Insurance help(scroll down past Early Intervention, SSI etc):

http://articles.complexchild.com/may2009/00123.html

I hope this info can help you some. But just remember to keep fighting the good fight.

This all depends on the hospital. In PA the Children's hospitals are known for doctors not working together. You just don't get that team approach. We learned this after having our 4th child. She has literally 14 different doctors in three cities and two states.

Well we dealt mainly with the Children's Hospital and the right hand never knew what the left hand was doing so to speak.

So we have to seek care elsewhere so we could get that multidisciplinary approach. We finally had to got to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital for it.

So be aware that not all Children's Hospitals have this approach to team care. You need to do your homework and find out if they do.

sheryl,

Don't feel the need to answer this (b/c it is very personal) but consider, too, puberty issues. All those hormonal changes that happen throughout the month.

Sometimes certain times of the month can lower seizure threshholds.

more :grouphug: for you and your dear daughter.

Wow Tracy, thanks for your post.

She's showing signs of poor memory. The doctors that it's all behavior based meaning she manipulates in that area. It's "convenient" to forget school concepts. I don't know what to think anymore. Sometimes I do see manipulation. Other times it seems like she really doesn't get it.

My dd is 12 and seizure free for about 3 1/2 years. As Asta said and keeps reminding me (thanks A) that seizing kills brain cells.

She's on lamictal and zarontin as mentioned in an earlier dose.

Gee, there seems to be still so much to do.

She has her annual with the ped tomorrow and will share some of these posts with him.

Thanks everyone!

sheryl,

Don't feel the need to answer this (b/c it is very personal) but consider, too, puberty issues. All those hormonal changes that happen throughout the month.

Sometimes certain times of the month can lower seizure threshholds.

more :grouphug: for you and your dear daughter.

yep, her hormones reached THE culmination a couple of weeks ago and she came through with flying colors. she actually calmed down a wee bit during that week.