Menu

Fly or drive?

We are going to Washington this summer and were planning on driving. We're going to visit my grandparents for a few days on the way and do some sightseeing on the way, but mainly, the drive is to get there. Not to be enjoyed. But I was looking at orbitz today and realized that we could fly and get a rental for about $200 more than what we are going to spend on gas and hotels on the way. So I'm conflicted as to whether or not we fly or drive. We have the money and can spend it, but do we miss out on visiting family and other things to save time (and sanity)? We just saw my grandparents for a few days in March so we have seen them recently, but we only see them every couple of years and they are getting older and sicker. DH is kind of ambivalent about it, but I think he would prefer to drive. I'm not looking forward to the drive, especially with a 1 year old and a 4 year old. We'll be doing multiple 12 hour days of driving and I'm really not looking forward to it. So what would you do?

We used to drive from L.A to Washington D.C at the beginning of the summer and stop at every relative along the way and drive home at the end of the summer. With NO AIR CONDITIONING!

We always stopped at motels with pools. My parents would throw us in the car at the crack of dawn in our pjs and then we'd sleep for several more hours.

Three kids in the back seat and no seat belts. License plate bingo. Good memories.

Airplane rides are fun too.

Is this Washington state or Washington DC? Honestly, with those ages I'd fly and not even blink an eye. If you're going to Washington DC, well the drive along the way isn't that interesting, sorry. To make it interesting, you'd have to stop a lot of places, and that would take a lot more time. Nope, if your goal is to get there, just fly.

Drive...really with having to get to the airport 2 hours early deal with security (which I personally find scary and outside of my comfort zone regarding physical pat down or electronic strip search), dealing with children on the plane, flight time, deplaning, getting bags, and thing getting a rental car/hotel shuttle. Its just way more hassle than its worth. Not to mention I can pack more stuff in my car and it doesn't cost me extra money.

I would prefer driving, but with very young kids I say fly. You sound like you're already stressing out at the prospect of driving several 12-hour long days with two littles. I don't blame you--traveling for that length of time for more than one day is very tough for young ones. We experienced this a few times when our ds's were around that age. A 12-hour drive for adults or with older kids becomes a 16-hour drive when you have little ones along.

My opinion based on my own experience. I didn't take into account the need to visit grandparents.

AT that age I say fly. I love road trips with my older kids, but when they were little it was just put your head down and get there as fast as you can.

Gas is apparently going up more - NPR said up to $5/gal by the end of summer, so it may end up being cheaper to fly if you get your tickets now.

Multiple 12 hour days with toddlers? Yes, I've done it. But if it could be avoided, I would. Fly, fly, fly! ;) Really and truly. For a one-day drive, I don't think it matters much. For multiple days, it will be so much easier on all of you.

I have done a long trip (3000) both ways. When my kids were younger, we flew. Last year, we drove (just me and the kids) but they were older and we had a wonderful time. The first time we did it, I was very grateful that we flew cause my kids were that much younger and it only took us 5 hrs. to get there rather than 3 1/2 days.

With the ages of your kids, I say fly.