Menu

Help me find a non-Protestant Bible to read

The New Jerusalem, Revised Standard and New American are Catholic Bibles.

Where does the New Revised Standard fall? That was the edition I had to use for college New Testament and Old Testament courses, at a secular school.

Edited to Add: ok, I checked. The New Revised Standard comes in 3 versions - a Protestant one that has just the Old and New Testament, The "common" one that has both testaments and the apocryphal/deuterocanonical books, (the one I used in college), and the Catholic version which has the deuterocanonical books and has the Old Testament books in the same order as the Vulgate.

Edited by ktgrok

I've read the KJV more than once, a modern translation, and some apocrypha, but I've never read a non-Protestant version. I tried looking at EO Bibles and was interested, but overwhelmed. What other Christian bibles are out there?

Thanks

Don't be overwhelmed!!! Mine is wonderful and the Icons in it are beautiful. ;)

These are the two Eastern Orthodox Bibles we have:

The Orthodox Study Bible -- has lots of articles about EO beliefs and how we live out our faith, as well as verse-by-verse commentary. There are also some full-page and full-color icons throughout.

The Orthodox New Testament -- this one has commentary on the verses, as well. Their commentary is somewhat more extensive and because of that this one comes in two volumes (Gospels and Epistles). There are smaller in-text black-and-white icons throughout.

Hope this helps!

I've read the KJV more than once, a modern translation, and some apocrypha, but I've never read a non-Protestant version. I tried looking at EO Bibles and was interested, but overwhelmed. What other Christian bibles are out there?

Thanks

just crurious why you find the EO Bible overwhelming? I use the Orthodox Study Bible and like it very much and not difficult at all.

just crurious why you find the EO Bible overwhelming? I use the Orthodox Study Bible and like it very much and not difficult at all.

It wasn't the EO bibles that were overwhelming, it was number of different ones available. I started looking at some, reading reviews, looked at others and ended up in the Catholic Bibles. I was raised so Protestant that until a few years ago, I didn't even realize that non-protestant bibles had different books. :)

I was raised so Protestant that until a few years ago, I didn't even realize that non-protestant bibles had different books. :)

I didn't even realize there was a [valid] Christianity outside of protestantism until a couple of years ago! If you have any questions about EO, feel free to PM me.

I didn't even realize there was a [valid] Christianity outside of protestantism until a couple of years ago! If you have any questions about EO, feel free to PM me.

I was always taught that they were not allowed because they had been 'added to' and therefore Not. Good.

Heh. Little did I know.

I have the Orthodox Study Bible which, like Simka said is beautiful. The icons are gorgeous and a little lesson in iconography. (the symbolism is explained)

I like my Catholic Study Bible, too (the exact one elizabeth linked).

When you're reading them from the first time from the Protestant POV, you're going to need some help ...translating? Them into a EO, RCC POV, and the footnotes in the study bibles help with that, a lot. I would really hesitate to get a straight EO/RCC bible. Those footnotes are gold.

How do I explain the translating, Milovany? Simka?

Those Protestant understandings are so ingrained that you automatically read the verses with that understanding, not realizing that the (I'm going to use the word tradition here, but I mean the years of theology and oral understandings of the verses) traditions of understanding were extremely different. You're going to find how deep Sola Scriptura is embedded, and those footnotes patiently teach a new (rather ancient) perspective.

I'm sure Simka and Milovany can explain it better.

Edited by justamouse

How do I explain the translating, Milovany? Simka?

Those Protestant understandings are so ingrained that you automatically read the verses with that understanding, not realizing that the (I'm going to use the word tradition here, but I mean the years of theology and oral understandings of the verses) traditions of understanding were extremely different. You're going to find how deep Sola Scriptura is embedded, and those footnotes patiently teach a new (rather ancient) perspective.

I'm sure Simka and Milovany can explain it better.

Ha ha, translating :tongue_smilie:. Just know that words that have a certain conatation in Protestanism have a different meaning in EO and possibly Catholicism. Let me give an unrelated example. I have a friend who is from England. He was a bit surprised when he moved to the states that the word "fag" had nothing to do with cigarettes (and let's just say he was a bit shocked the first time he casually heard people discussing "fanny packs".) :eek:

I was equally surprised when we went forward as catechumans and the Priest prayed over us. I thought it was very sweet and similar to when the Pastor prayed for us when we became members of a church. After, the priest told us we went thru our first "exorcism." :svengo: That was the kindest exorcism I have ever been thru...although I don't really remember ever going thru an exorcism........or maybe we just didn't call them that. ;)

Anyway, there are times that I have gotten a bit confused in my readings, but when I realized I wasn't coming from the same filter it allowed me to search out what they were really saying.

Mostly, have fun and if you have questions feel free to ask!