Menu

Why did I do it?? Why did I look at that catalog

Abbeygurl4

that came in the mail today? It's making me doubt my choice! Why didn't I just throw it out? Why??

HOD always looks good to me, but I know the language arts and the age difference of my dc and the fact that it's too scripted are deal breakers for me. It just looks soooo good and I keep thinking I could somehow make it work!

I need to just step away from the catalog because I just bought MFW used and I need to stick with my choice!

I don't find HOD to be scripted. It gives you the plans and the key points and you can take or leave the wording. It's short and sweet and offers some hand holding with it if you need it. It's clean layout make it simple to use the wording or come up with your own. I just read the box and get a feel for the direction we are to go and GO! :)

As a former MFW'er, I'm way happy with our switch to HOD...even after using 5 levels of it now! I can't wait to get to use them all :)

I'm sure that didn't help you. ;)

I can't wait to start HOD in the fall. As another poster said on a different thread...I read the TM for fun!

That being said I am not planning on using their language arts recommendation (Rod and Staff). We are sticking with what is working for us.

Second, you could toatlly combine your two dc with HOD. From the Bigger manual up, there are extension packages so that olders can do the same program as youngers. Judging from the age of your two dc, they could both do Bigger together if you wanted them to.

And, yes, I am one of THOSE people who like to play devil's advocate ;)

that came in the mail today? It's making me doubt my choice! Why didn't I just throw it out? Why??

HOD always looks good to me, but I know the language arts and the age difference of my dc and the fact that it's too scripted are deal breakers for me. It just looks soooo good and I keep thinking I could somehow make it work!

I need to just step away from the catalog because I just bought MFW used and I need to stick with my choice!

The HOD bookshop is a great resource even if you don't use the program. :D

Arghh, I ordered the catalog too. Why? I have no idea. I was very happy and set on my plans. Bad idea.

I will not buy HOD for this year. I will use what I have but I am now thinking about the following year and if it would work for us then. I keep reminding myself about the portions I won't use. (LA, science, DITHOR) I am drawn to the idea of having everything done for me but I am already tweaking as I go through the catalog.:tongue_smilie: It is very important to me to keep everyone on the same history cycle. I don't know if any of these reasons resonate with you, but these are the things that will keep my from buying...for now.:)

I completely know how you feel. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago after I already had my curriculum for the next year on the shelf. I couldn't help myself and got sucked in by the catalog and reviews and sold what I'd already purchased for dd. Thankfully it was a great decision and now all 3 of my kids are doing HOD! Again, I am not being helpful either, but I do know how you feel.

I have the same problem with HOD. Looked at the catalog 2 years ago and fell in love but I said no and threw it out. Now, thanks to the board, ordered a new one, fell in love again but said no, and gave it to a friend. She call me and asked,

"Why did you make my life so much harder?" :D She ended up choosing MFW.

Someone on this board put it this way, HOD is for some like falling in love with someone you know is wrong for you and deep down, you know you it would never work out. But there is no rule against drooling!!!

Or perhaps give it a try????? Must be strong, must be strong, must be......

No curriculum is perfect or covers all gaps. The ones we don't use, contain something our current curriculum lacks. There isn't enough time or money to do them all.

Think of it like a man whose religion and culture allows polygamy. Is he any happier with multiple wives?

You "married" your 1st curriculum for some pretty good reasons. Try a little monogamy and see what happens :-)

No curriculum is perfect or covers all gaps. The ones we don't use, contain something our current curriculum lacks. There isn't enough time or money to do them all.

Think of it like a man whose religion and culture allows polygamy. Is he any happier with multiple wives?

You "married" your 1st curriculum for some pretty good reasons. Try a little monogamy and see what happens :-)

Very very very good advice! Great way to put it! Thanks for the perspective!

Someone on this board put it this way, HOD is for some like falling in love with someone you know is wrong for you and deep down, you know you it would never work out. But there is no rule against drooling!!!

Love it!

I think we have the same kitty cat. Your profile pic looks just like my Sam!

Be strong!!! I keep browsing SL, downloading a sample, realizing why it will NOT work for us, and then several months later I start looking at it again :tongue_smilie:. Wash, rinse, repeat. Just be strong! I do love what I have, and I need to stop being distracted by all the shiny I see.

I totally know what you mean! I just ordered one too and it's not not even here yet-I have ALL my curriculum is lined out for next year and I just know I'm going to be drooling when it comes. It's nuts, there's just too much talent out there bottom line.

I struggled last year - my 1st year to homeschool both - ds-10 & dd-6. I couldn't decide between MFW & HOD either. I ended up choosing MFW because simply - they had more help at their counter @ convention & I never got to speak with Carrie to ask her any questions. I have a pretty good pro/con list for each - and now - when I thought I should just stick with my 1st choice throughout to avoid gaps - I don't like the idea of curriculum jumping - however - this year I would start CTG in MFW or CTC in HOD - so this would be the only year to jump if I was going to. After this - I need to stay on track - at least as far as my ds is concerned. I like many of the choices in HOD like science better. I already use Singapore & Rod & Staff - ILL did not work for my ds coming out of public school. I kept it - in case it does work better for my dd later. I am searching for the right answer for our family - and still frustrated. Our year with MFW went well - except there was many un-finished things - there was just so many things that the guide did not give enough info on and I ended up researching so many sources to find the questions my kids were asking. Still struggling....I've pondered this all year. Some things were ok with MFW ECC...but some things did not. Also - my dd is doing MFW 1 now. I don't know if she will do well folding into the 5 yr cycle for her 2nd grade year when we would be doing RTR with MFW. ECC was something she is nowhere near ready for......why do we ever pick up those catalogs???? (honestly - I never got rid of mine and kept looking at both and comparing all year long - I just never could settle this in my own heart!)

I struggled last year - my 1st year to homeschool both - ds-10 & dd-6. I couldn't decide between MFW & HOD either. I ended up choosing MFW because simply - they had more help at their counter @ convention & I never got to speak with Carrie to ask her any questions. I have a pretty good pro/con list for each - and now - when I thought I should just stick with my 1st choice throughout to avoid gaps - I don't like the idea of curriculum jumping - however - this year I would start CTG in MFW or CTC in HOD - so this would be the only year to jump if I was going to. After this - I need to stay on track - at least as far as my ds is concerned. I like many of the choices in HOD like science better. I already use Singapore & Rod & Staff - ILL did not work for my ds coming out of public school. I kept it - in case it does work better for my dd later. I am searching for the right answer for our family - and still frustrated. Our year with MFW went well - except there was many un-finished things - there was just so many things that the guide did not give enough info on and I ended up researching so many sources to find the questions my kids were asking. Still struggling....I've pondered this all year. Some things were ok with MFW ECC...but some things did not. Also - my dd is doing MFW 1 now. I don't know if she will do well folding into the 5 yr cycle for her 2nd grade year when we would be doing RTR with MFW. ECC was something she is nowhere near ready for......why do we ever pick up those catalogs???? (honestly - I never got rid of mine and kept looking at both and comparing all year long - I just never could settle this in my own heart!)

I totally get what you mean with MFW! That's a lot of work! I think you'd be much happier (from the sounds of it) with HOD...it just seems HOD remedies what you are having issues with in MFW.

Thanks hmschooling! I really love very much about MFW...but the very weaknesses that I anticipated in advance for MFW have been the weaknesses that were the most difficult for me. I guess I worry about HOD being 'meaty' enough. I feel like maybe there is a little more experience in MFW...but then again - I see a lot of great expertise in HOD. I'm not a degreed teacher - therefore I really rely on help with my curriculum to allow me to teach better. The things that appealed to me about HOD still do (same holds true for MFW), but overall I still have a feeling HOD just might fit my personal needs better. Thx again!

Step away from the catalogue... put it in the recycle bin... nice and easy... :D

They are so dangerous, especially when we think we have everything worked out!

:iagree:Just throw it out! Make your decision, then run from every catalog & curriculum board!LOL! I, too, just bought 3 years of MFW used to begin w/ my dc (Explor - 1850, AHL & WHL). We are very excited about it and i know this is the right path for us, but I have to be careful about second guessing my decision. There's just too much temptation in this world!

WOW, very well put. That's deep, too.:D

I think it is easiest to stick with a curriculum when there is something deep about it's values or style that clicks with you, way deep down. That keeps you motivated to tweak and problem solve when you are stumbling with it.

SOW isn't open and go, and it isn't flashy, and it isn't popular, but Bible based unit studies are my teaching and learning style, so...I work with it. When I get the wandering eye, I try and buy my curriculum a new outfit or a wig, to jazz things up :lol:

I am going to give you advice that I never use. Once you have made your purchases. Don't continue looking in the catalogs. You will always find something that appears better than what you currently have. I have not read the entire thread but is MFW still a match for your family. Are you supplementing with other things. Perhaps I would purchase only what I am supplementing to get a feel for the program and see what you like about it or if what you have is still best for your needs at this time.

I must respectively disagree ;) If I ha married my first curriculum and never changed, I'd be stuck in a dead end, boring, dry, overly time consuming program that would have driven me to enroll my kids in public school. It's through all our purchases and curriculum adventures that we learn what we do and do not like in our curriculum. Think of it as dating until you find Mr. Right. ;) or renting homes until you know just what you want to buy. We finally have HOD as our perfect fit, and LOVE our days instead of being married to our 1st program (or second, or third, or...) and being miserable or not even homeschooling anymore. Live. Learn. Divorce whatever curriculum you don't find meets your needs and those of your kids, and try out those you think would be better. It's the only way to find the right one. THEN once you marry the right one, stop searching the catalogues ;)

I bought HOD for next year and still drool over the catalog. I find myself planning ahead for future years before we even get started with our first year of HOD.

I do the same! Only I've already used all the levels up to a part of PHFHG! and I love it so much I still drool.

:iagree:

And I soooooo need the remind. I'm so tempted by all the wonderful products out there.

That's too funny. I ALWAYS do that. Decide on something for very solid reasons and then I'm talking to someone or see a catalog, etc. and then I'm back to trying to decide. This is why my sister said she does not go to any curriculum fairs.