Menu

LDS Homeschoolers

OK, thanks. (Deep breath.) I feel a little blindsided by this, since I was invited to speak because my friend is on the board and they wanted a classical person and she said "I know, I'll get my friend to do it!" and that was that. What am I doing in a lineup with some professional dude? I feel like I'm going to let the side down by not being as persuasive--after all, I haven't done rhetoric yet...!

Um. Our last Enrichment was on preparedness, we started a 6-month challenge. This month is to get all your personal information together in a good spot in case of emergency.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll do fine, Dangermom!! And I'm sure Susan wouldn't mind you recommending WTM and holding up her book. In fact, she was the keynote speaker at the last conference I spoke at here in Salt Lake City (a couple years ago). I just told everyone to make sure they attend all her workshops and take copious notes. :lol:

What I've found in speaking is that most moms want to know how you DO homeschooling. What does it look like in your house? What is your schedule like? Walk me through a day in your life. I've actually brought in my planner and passed it around the room. Since I do a lot of unit studies, I used the parents in my class as my "children" and demonstrated some unit study activities (that was great fun...especially with the dads). They all sat in the front row, and we went through some simple activities for a study of birds (demonstrating monocular and binocular vision while tossing a ball with one eye closed, greasing a paper towel with Crisco and showing how water beads off it, examining bird feathers and comparing them to Velcro, illustrating the wingspan of an albatross with string and the eggs of a humming bird with a jelly bean). They loved it.

Most moms have read almost all there is to read about homeschooling, but the disconnect (and fear) comes in how to implement it. I found they really appreciate seeing that it isn't the monster they've made it out to be in their heads and that it is something that is very doable.

Good luck! Oh, and thanks for the preparedness idea. I think we need to focus more on that, too.

I'm not LDS but I just wanted to say that some of your activities sound really fun. I envy you your community.

We are a fun bunch. :lol: You know, if you have any LDS friends around you, ask them to bring you to Enrichment night. Anyone is welcome, and usually the topic isn't religious. All the women get together once a month and learn or do something to "enrich" our lives. So far this year, my ward has done:

tips and tricks for keeping your household organized

how to be happy and cheerful in the face of adversity

a fun potluck get together with a yummy dessert bar

how to plant and use a kitchen herb garden

how to research and complete your family history and record your family's story for posterity

how to do home canning (we did jam, salsa, meat...with a pressure canner, pickles and veggies)

We have planned meetings for the rest of the year on "how to help with your child's education", making pjs (even if you don't know how to sew), making artisan bread for gifts, and some sort of Christmas dinner.

The meetings are always very relaxed, casual and fun. And like I said, anyone is welcome!! We promise we won't throw you in the baptismal font. :lol: ;)

You'll do fine, Dangermom!! And I'm sure Susan wouldn't mind you recommending WTM and holding up her book. In fact, she was the keynote speaker at the last conference I spoke at here in Salt Lake City (a couple years ago). I just told everyone to make sure they attend all her workshops and take copious notes. :lol:

What I've found in speaking is that most moms want to know how you DO homeschooling. What does it look like in your house? What is your schedule like? Walk me through a day in your life. I've actually brought in my planner and passed it around the room. Since I do a lot of unit studies, I used the parents in my class as my "children" and demonstrated some unit study activities (that was great fun...especially with the dads). They all sat in the front row, and we went through some simple activities for a study of birds (demonstrating monocular and binocular vision while tossing a ball with one eye closed, greasing a paper towel with Crisco and showing how water beads off it, examining bird feathers and comparing them to Velcro, illustrating the wingspan of an albatross with string and the eggs of a humming bird with a jelly bean). They loved it.

Most moms have read almost all there is to read about homeschooling, but the disconnect (and fear) comes in how to implement it. I found they really appreciate seeing that it isn't the monster they've made it out to be in their heads and that it is something that is very doable.

Good luck! Oh, and thanks for the preparedness idea. I think we need to focus more on that, too.

Great advice! I agree with discouraging putting too much faith in any one philosophy. I think sharing a schedule, a plan, and a reassurance that children can love learning even if they have compulsory content and requirements will be an antidote to TJEd. ;) Also be sure to mention how you use the classics. That'll hook 'em in, too. :)

Ok, I need some suggestions for Enrichment (or whatever we're calling it now, LOL). I'm the second counselor in the RS presidency and in charge of Enrichment meetings. What are you all doing in your ward? What did you love doing?

We're doing pressure cooking in August, which I'm excited about, because pressure cooking has always scared me a bit. We're also making pajama bottoms and matching pillowcases sometime this fall (cheap and easy Christmas gift if you have a big extended family you need to do gift exchanges with), but I'd like some more fun ideas.

Thanks!!

You know how people recommend the funny solar ovens & rocket ovens & such for an eventuality of no power? Well, usually people buy them & never open them. If they need them, they won't know how to use them & won't be able to Google it. Maybe you could all get together & actually prepare a meal using all the preparedness material.

I'm not LDS but I just wanted to say that some of your activities sound really fun. I envy you your community.

You should come hang out. :tongue_smilie: We love visitors.

Well, if you're doing anything with a preparedness theme, you could always do a class on what to DO with it. I've done two presentations for my ward RS on "What do I do with all this wheat?!" And I focus *specifically* on what you can do with wheat WITHOUT buying an expensive wheat grinder. I bring samples of chili with cooked wheat berries in it, and various recipes made from cooked cracked wheat that I cracked in my blender (there's one on allrecipes.com called Kasha that is de-lish!)

I always have several women come up to me afterwards and tell me how much calmer they feel now about having pounds and pounds of wheat in their food storage, but not having the money in their budgets yet for a $300 wheat grinder. :)

Ok, I need some suggestions for Enrichment (or whatever we're calling it now, LOL). I'm the second counselor in the RS presidency and in charge of Enrichment meetings. What are you all doing in your ward? What did you love doing?

We're doing pressure cooking in August, which I'm excited about, because pressure cooking has always scared me a bit. We're also making pajama bottoms and matching pillowcases sometime this fall (cheap and easy Christmas gift if you have a big extended family you need to do gift exchanges with), but I'd like some more fun ideas.

Thanks!!

Our Enrichment leader (or whatever she's called now) asked for the sisters to sign up to teach something they know & love. It's been great to have a lot of different sisters teaching--we've had classes on making jewelry, how to coupon, crockpot cooking, healthy recipes, making cards, family scripture study ideas. One sister is going to teach a few others how to play guitar. One is going to share ideas on keeping physically fit.

I think ideas for using food storage sounds great--especially wheat and beans.

You can produce kasha in a blender?? Hot diggity! That's my favorite breakfast, but if you buy it at the store it's not cheap.

I don't know if this version is a breakfast food, but this is the recipe I use: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kasha/detail.aspx It has ground beef in it, and is divine!!! I just use my blender to crack the wheat, and then move forward with the recipe from there using my stove top.

My favorite enrichment night ever was on knife skills ("How to use your chef's knife") taught by Prof. Nora Nyland. I've never learned so much. For instance, did you know you should choose the length of your knife based on your height?

The second most useful enrichment night ever was one on estate planning taught by our former bishop who is a retired estate lawyer.

Everyone is getting approved unless I suspect they are a spammer, then I email and chat them up.

Mmmm, Enrichment Night class sounds so fun. When I joined it was with a huge ward, then I moved and found I was part of a tiny little branch. I've been a member for six years and have yet to have a Visiting Teacher visit! Ah, life in the boondocks...

Okay, ideas for Enrichment Night... how about talking with people about family size? Good but positive response to pack a toolbox for those bad days. Hobbies would be a great one - mine happens to be family history. Maybe like a little sampler platter of hobbies so the sisters can get an idea of the hobby and find out if they enjoy it our not? One subject close to my own heart is reaching out to and integrating single parent families. Loads of sisters get kinda scared of me, and it takes a while to get them use to the idea that I am a mom and a lot like them. Ooo, mixed families too - where one person is a member of the church and another isn't.

Everyone is getting approved unless I suspect they are a spammer, then I email and chat them up.

Mmmm, Enrichment Night class sounds so fun. When I joined it was with a huge ward, then I moved and found I was part of a tiny little branch. I've been a member for six years and have yet to have a Visiting Teacher visit! Ah, life in the boondocks...

Okay, ideas for Enrichment Night... how about talking with people about family size? Good but positive response to pack a toolbox for those bad days. Hobbies would be a great one - mine happens to be family history. Maybe like a little sampler platter of hobbies so the sisters can get an idea of the hobby and find out if they enjoy it our not? One subject close to my own heart is reaching out to and integrating single parent families. Loads of sisters get kinda scared of me, and it takes a while to get them use to the idea that I am a mom and a lot like them. Ooo, mixed families too - where one person is a member of the church and another isn't.

What do you mean by the bolded? I am not sure what kind of a homemaking that would be? It could be emotionally hard for some especially the infertile and unmarried so I am curious how you would set this up, cause if it can be done well with regards to infertility I would love to try it in my ward because we have a lot of families that are dealing with infertility and don't want to hurt anyone or have them walk out...thanks

:001_smile: Come on in and chat any time. We are quite a social group. Sometimes I think if our Bishop didn't stand up and start church we would all just sit and talk for the full three hours :lol:

The second most useful enrichment night ever was one on estate planning taught by our former bishop who is a retired estate lawyer.

That is an excellent idea - we have done/are doing most of the other things suggested (July/August/September we are doing what to store/what to cook with it/bringing the portable canner and canning our stuff). We have a fairly elderly ward and estate planning is perfect. Thanks.

What do you mean by the bolded? I am not sure what kind of a homemaking that would be? It could be emotionally hard for some especially the infertile and unmarried so I am curious how you would set this up, cause if it can be done well with regards to infertility I would love to try it in my ward because we have a lot of families that are dealing with infertility and don't want to hurt anyone or have them walk out... thanks

Humm, that could be tricky. For me, I get teased about not being a real mother because I have one child. On the other hand many of my friends report how often they get criticized for having more than two or three. Add into that dealing with infertility and child loss would make it a challenging subject to bring up. Adoption and single sisters make even more interesting.

I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Let me kick it around in my brain for a bit and see if I come up with a good idea....

Julie, that was great. And I imagine you enjoyed writing it. I just wish my internet was up to watching the video.

Diane, my favorite Enrichment meetings are where there are lots of choices of things to do or learn, and where many sisters in the ward/branch/group get to teach people about things they care about. Too often it seems that the same people come up with all the ideas. I know it's harder to organize things with more people, and it can be hard to get people to help, but I haven't been in a ward yet where there aren't women whose skills aren't being used.

I also really like the small groups. They provide a lot more flexibility.

This is a sore subject right now. I'm feeling pretty isolated in my area.

I am also feeling very isolated but its more because I am Southern Baptist living just south of Provo, Utah. I worry about approaching the LDS groups because I don't believe we would be accepted because of our religion. I would love to find a secular group here. I will be driving from Spanish Fork to Provo for cub scouts in the fall because that is where the closest scout troop is that is not backed by the local ward where I would feel uncomfortable. Even then it isn't a secular troop but it is backed by a church more in line with our beliefs. At this point I would love to hook up with any other homeschoolers. So that being said anyone near me with littles? :lol:

I am also feeling very isolated but its more because I am Southern Baptist living just south of Provo, Utah. I worry about approaching the LDS groups because I don't believe we would be accepted because of our religion. I would love to find a secular group here. I will be driving from Spanish Fork to Provo for cub scouts in the fall because that is where the closest scout troop is that is not backed by the local ward where I would feel uncomfortable. Even then it isn't a secular troop but it is backed by a church more in line with our beliefs. At this point I would love to hook up with any other homeschoolers. So that being said anyone near me with littles? :lol:

We have an active Utah County homeschool group with lots of littles :D. It meets Fridays.

Humm, that could be tricky. For me, I get teased about not being a real mother because I have one child. On the other hand many of my friends report how often they get criticized for having more than two or three. Add into that dealing with infertility and child loss would make it a challenging subject to bring up. Adoption and single sisters make even more interesting.

I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Let me kick it around in my brain for a bit and see if I come up with a good idea....

Ahhh...I actually get what you are saying now...I like that idea...we formed our family through adoption and live in a highly fertile half student ward...but I have had a couple of instances in church were I have wanted to walk out because the RS Pres was so inconsiderate about motherhood to the point of saying something along of the lines of birth is as close as we can get to godliness grrrr...so I would love to explore family through the lens of not the "normal" LDS large family...so I think that would be a great thing...maybe of panel of people who have experienced things like infertility, infant loss, small family, large family, mixed family, divorced family and talk about how they include the gospel of eternal families in their lives...hmmm

Have you joined any yahoogroups? UtahHSers and HomeschoolING do park days. As far as I know, the groups are secular. :) I've got some littles myself (6, 4, and 3) and we'd be happy to make friends with some Baptists. :) Most LDS folks are friendly with folks from other faiths so long as nobody is religion bashing. ;)

Have you joined any yahoogroups? UtahHSers and HomeschoolING do park days. As far as I know, the groups are secular. :) I've got some littles myself (6, 4, and 3) and we'd be happy to make friends with some Baptists. :) Most LDS folks are friendly with folks from other faiths so long as nobody is religion bashing. ;)

I have joined HomeschoolING and have a applied to UtahHSers. I am going to try to make it to next weeks ING park day. This week is just too hectic. Between working, potty training and planning out summer school my brain is a little fried.

I have joined HomeschoolING and have a applied to UtahHSers. I am going to try to make it to next weeks ING park day. This week is just too hectic. Between working, potty training and planning out summer school my brain is a little fried.

Dd3 started potty training today. The most success we've had is when she sat on the potty after peeing in her panties for the fifth time today. Progress. :tongue_smilie:

Potty training. Yuck. I've been dragging my feet with my son, because he just. doesn't. care. I'm tired of changing his poops! :lol: I told him that this was the last box of diapers that I was buying him. He just shrugged his shoulders, and my husband flipped. I think I may be overly optimistic. :D But that boy can poop!

Total change of subject, but I'd love to know what scripture study looks like at your houses. We're struggling so we've gone to simply memorizing Articles of Faith for now. That's going really well. I think we're going to memorize The Living Christ next.

Last year I read stories from the back of the Gospel Art Picture Kit pictures daily. That was great and super simple to implement. We've read some of the scripture readers in the past, too. That might be an idea for 3rd grade, too.

My daughter is 8 but not a good reader yet. She can read the scriptures with us but I'm not sure she's comprehending it much yet.

So, what do you do?

If you wnt to spend money I keep looking at discovering scriptures....if not school of Abraham has what they call the storied scriptures which is a collection of verses that correlate to stories in the scriptures that are good ones for kids.

I like the nursery manual, but my kids are still young. I think you could beef it up for older ones though. They could help by reading the scriptures selections etc. I also like this. They have one for every book of scripture, except D&C I believe.

We use those. We are working on New Testament Stories right now. We also memorize the Primary scripture of the month. I purchased the seminary scripture mastery cards and may use them for my oldest next year (5th grade).

I also like this. They have one for every book of scripture, except D&C I believe.

They have Doctrine & Covenants. They don't have Pearl of Great Price.

We used these as bedtime readers until we'd been through all of them once. We were starting back around and had done New Testament again when my son asked for "the real scriptures, please, Mommy." We've now done Book of Mormon and about half of the New Testament with the "real scriptures."

DD6 thinks "they're boring," but she does fall asleep quickly! :D, so it's all good!

(I should say, this is after prayers and separate from family scripture time - something that still needs work around here. DS8 likes me to read scriptures until he falls asleep and says he sleeps better and doesn't have bad dreams. I've wondered about that, because sometimes he's fallen asleep right in the middle of some "oh, ye hypocrites" or some other really stern parts that would make me lie awake at night, but I guess he's got a clearer conscience. :D)

We've done FHE out of Gospel Principles, too, and it works well.

So, what do you do?

We've been going through the Storied Scriptures from School of Abraham. I like to have them reading from the real scriptures, and to get used to Bibllical language, but not be overwhelmed with the non-story parts of the scriptures. Just before bed, we all grab a Bible and everyone reads a verse or two until we get through the selection. Those that are too young to read get to repeat after me as I read a few words at a time. We've been doing this for about 2 years, made it through the OT, and have just finished the 4 Gospels in the NT.

A great side benefit is that it gives them daily reading practice. I've been impressed with how well my boys have learned to read as we have done this. I'm not great at doing phonics every. single. day, but even my almost 6yo can read most of the words in a Bible verse (you know, like "And it came to pass..." ;))

We use these and love them. We're currently studying the New Testament. Great way to get the little ones involved.

http://deseretbook.com/Scripture-Study-Latter-day-Saint-Families-New-Testament-Dennis-Leavitt/i/4961116

I love using these books! I have found the best way to do it is for me to study ahead of the family for my personal time. This way I can go through these manuals (plus the church seminary manuals/institute manuals) and determine the most important verses to emphasize. I actually just started a new thing--writing questions on the bottom of the page right in my scriptures. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes when we're having scripture study, I find it really hard to come up with questions that lead to insightful discussion--rather than simply asking recall questions. But now that I write them on the page, it has made a huge difference. (In my personal study, too...it gives me direction and helps me focus on this huge and wonderful task of teaching the gospel to my children rather than just reading through the pages). Also, I've started writing quotes from the Apostles on index cards and keeping them in the pages of my scriptures where they apply to the verses/doctrine. After we've read through them, I keep them in a file box.

We seem to go through spurts of doing well at having regular scripture study and then we lose momentum. I've finally figured out that I shouldn't feel guilty about this...but just keep trying. There are lots of ideas on the internet to motivate your family and set goals to work towards a family activity or reward.

Also, one more thing, kinda of off topic. I found this website that has some great ideas--http://www.theredheadedhostess.com/category/scripture-study-2/ (Sorry, not sure how to make it a link...)

Total change of subject, but I'd love to know what scripture study looks like at your houses. We're struggling so we've gone to simply memorizing Articles of Faith for now. That's going really well. I think we're going to memorize The Living Christ next.

Last year I read stories from the back of the Gospel Art Picture Kit pictures daily. That was great and super simple to implement. We've read some of the scripture readers in the past, too. That might be an idea for 3rd grade, too.

My daughter is 8 but not a good reader yet. She can read the scriptures with us but I'm not sure she's comprehending it much yet.

So, what do you do?

With the kids, my oldest is 5 so we read 2-3 verses a night straight through the BoM, and we memorize a short scripture weekly. We watch the Scripture Stories on newlds.org sometimes, too--they even have them in other languages for "school time."

When my dad is visiting, he does crayon stories, illustrating the scripture stories as he tells them from memory, asking the girls lots of questions to involve them. I wish we didn't live so far away....

OK everybody, LDS Homeschooling just posted a plea for new writers. Does anyone have the time and inclination to apply for the post of Resident Classical Advocate? :D (I wish I did, but I'm not really a writer AND I have a large, long-term blogging commitment coming up, which I cannot understand how that phrase even applies to me but it does.)

Oh. Linky.

OK everybody, LDS Homeschooling just posted a plea for new writers. Does anyone have the time and inclination to apply for the post of Resident Classical Advocate? :D (I wish I did, but I'm not really a writer AND I have a large, long-term blogging commitment coming up, which I cannot understand how that phrase even applies to me but it does.)

Oh. Linky.

I'm eclectic, not classical, but I'd love to see some of our classical mamas posting there!!