Menu

If you don't have a "mathy" child, do you still do a college prep math sequence?

Hi-I'm visiting from the K-8 board. Dd, rising 6th grader, is just ok at math. I am just starting to try to learn about all this, but I am planning on the traditional math sequence listed in WTM (pre-alg in 7th, alg in 8, geom in 9, alg 2 in 10, precalc and calc in 11-12). This would mainly be for better college admissions.

But I'm worried about her being able to get up into calc and so on in high school.

What have you done with your non-mathy children to make sure they are prepped for college admissions, but not overwhelmed with difficult math?

(Feel free to point me to old threads about this-I'm sure there must be some but didn't know what to search for!)

I don't have any high schoolers yet, but DH teaches high school math. More kids start algebra in 8th grade now than when I was in school, but it's still considered the honors track. There's nothing unusual or shameful about starting algebra in 9th and finishing up with an advanced algebra/pre-calc class as a senior.

I have a non-mathy child going into sixth grade as well and our hope is that she can get all of her college math out of the way in high school and never hit calculus. Her plan looks like this:

6th: fractions/decimals

7th: pre-algebra

8th: algebra I

9th: algebra II

10th: geometry

11th: cc dual enroll - 1st sem. Inter. Algebra, 2nd sem. College Algebra

12th: cc dual enroll - pre-calc

This child really doesn't like math and it is her current intent that she will go to a college that accepts her dual enrollment math classes and does not require any additional math in earning her college degree. :) She may change her mind and find that she enjoys math more as she gets older, but I won't hold my breath. :tongue_smilie:

The first thing to note is that your sixth grader has seen little math--mostly arithmetic. I would not peg a child as mathy or not-mathy this early in the game.

If anything, I would add some logic puzzles to your daughter's program to help build her analytic skills.

Secondly, my son considers himself non-mathy because math does not make him get up and dance. It does not mean that he could not handle the subject. He did Algebra in 8th, a proof oriented geometry in 9th, etc. and placed out of his college math requirement with his AP Calc test. Math was part of the routine. Face each assignment and move forward.

Your daughter may surprise you.

Jane

The first thing to note is that your sixth grader has seen little math--mostly arithmetic. I would not peg a child as mathy or not-mathy this early in the game.

If anything, I would add some logic puzzles to your daughter's program to help build her analytic skills.

Secondly, my son considers himself non-mathy because math does not make him get up and dance. It does not mean that he could not handle the subject. He did Algebra in 8th, a proof oriented geometry in 9th, etc. and placed out of his college math requirement with his AP Calc test. Math was part of the routine. Face each assignment and move forward.

:iagree: None of mine have particularly liked math. It's just not optional. It's not that they're bad at it, just not enthused. I keep looking for new ways to enthuse - but there hasn't been any dancing here either. LoF didn't impress ds, dd was only mildly entertained with Math Doesn't Suck, etc, so we continue on the Foerster/Jacobs continuum.

I think I'll try AoPS next. :D

pre-alg in 7th, alg in 8, geom in 9, alg 2 in 10, precalc and calc in 11-12

I tweaked that a bit. There's no need for two years of calculus in high school. Ds did algebra I in 8th and again in 9th, with geometry. Pre-calc became a month or two, then he started calculus and had a local course called Math Modeling in 12th. He got to college and said he wished he had had more algebra! He was my guinea pig - his sisters will get more algebra.

Jane

I was not "mathy" until high school geometry - then math clicked and I loved it. Got my engineering degree. (Just to let you know that a 6th grader can be way different from a 10th grader.)

Hi-I'm visiting from the K-8 board. Dd, rising 6th grader, is just ok at math. I am just starting to try to learn about all this, but I am planning on the traditional math sequence listed in WTM (pre-alg in 7th, alg in 8, geom in 9, alg 2 in 10, precalc and calc in 11-12). This would mainly be for better college admissions.

If she struggles with Algebra 1 at all, I would seriously consider a second year of it in 9th grade, counting only that year for "credit". Then you'd have Algebra in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th.... and then consider at that point where she's ready to go.

BTW Happy, have you looked at HOE yet? And later she might enjoy Algebra Puzzlers by McKell. I've been looking for fun things to do at that sort of pre-algebra level, in the spirit of what Jane was saying. I also found a Dazzling Math book at the Scholastic ebook sale (ended yesterday, sorry, cuz it was $1!) that should be fun. It's lower than those algebra puzzlers.

Just found another one. I own this, but it was hidden on my desk (the desk I'm currently cleaning off, you don't see me here typing). Pre-Algebra Brain Teasers by Olschanski (Teacher Created Resources). It's what you would do before that McKell book. It's more in the pre-algebra fun realm. Also there are fun living math books. My dd is kind of picky and only likes the ones that are fiction with math woven in. If they're a math lesson with fiction woven in (which many are), they don't fly.

Edited by OhElizabeth

But I'm worried about her being able to get up into calc and so on in high school.

What have you done with your non-mathy children to make sure they are prepped for college admissions, but not overwhelmed with difficult math?

(Feel free to point me to old threads about this-I'm sure there must be some but didn't know what to search for!)

We do Algebra I in 9th grade. My oldest was ready for Algebra I in 8th grade and so we skipped 8th grade and called it 9th. I am doing this also with my youngest daughter. Since she is ready for Algebra, I believe she is ready to start earning her high school credits and graduate a year early.

Blessings,

I think you'll know better how to proceed as you get further along in the sequence. If you're "on schedule" and pre-calc goes well, it's fine to go ahead with calculus. But another option is statistics. I think this has a broader application for those who aren't pursuing math/science majors. JMO. :)

You don't even have to take calculus in high school (or even in college). I stressed myself out with our oldest, to the point that I moved his math too fast for him (precalculus as a senior). He tested into his college's calculus course. The placement test was too easy. He did well with the precalculus, but wasn't as confident with it as he should have been in hindsight. Calculus at college was a disaster, and he changed majors out of math/science.

With dd (an upcoming senior) I am doing this sequence, and with the blessing of the college she plans on attending:

9th - Algebra 1

10th - Geometry

11th - Algebra 2

12th - A college intermediate algebra text.

Yes, we are doing another year of algebra. If she flies through, I will get a precalculus text. Her college is actually pretty happy she will have that much preparation for their college algebra course.

I wish I didn't hear all of the "you have to do calculus in high school" that I heard with him. It caused a lot of stress and wasn't necessary! Even if your dc pick a math/science major, the world will not come to an end if you start college with college algebra. A lot of math/science majors are five years, and there are many chances to get ahead with the math (summer school) if it is needed.

I don't think the sequence you mentioned is necessary for a non-math/science kid. Our state schools and private ones I've looked at expect to see Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Trig/Pre-calc/whatever. If your child wants to be an engineer or other math/science field, taking calculus in high school would be excellent and possibly necessary for some universities. However, for general college admission, it doesn't appear to be required.

Wendi

Guest MrAlgebra
I don't think the sequence you mentioned is necessary for a non-math/science kid. Our state schools and private ones I've looked at expect to see Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Trig/Pre-calc/whatever. If your child wants to be an engineer or other math/science field, taking calculus in high school would be excellent and possibly necessary for some universities. However, for general college admission, it doesn't appear to be required.

Wendi

This is pretty spot-on, and so is the advice about avoiding the "non-mathy" labels in general. Statistics is much more useful than calculus for the vast majority of people, but for kiddos that are looking towards any science (or math obv) career path, most if not all of a full calculus sequence is going to be necessary.

This thread is really helpful-so much good food for thought!

I realize that she may "grow into" math later on, and that's why I don't want to sell her short from now, but rather have her keep moving forward.

I like the idea of going ahead with the more "rigorous" schedule, and then we can always do that idea of repeating algebra in 9th if necessary.

And I'm glad to know there is another option for later besides calc; that we can sidestep and do statistics instead, if we get there and don't want or need to do calc.

Yes, OhE, I have HOE (still need to get the dvd though). I hope to do a bunch of that "fun" stuff over the next couple years (including probably LOF, but I'm also thrilled to have the other suggestions you gave me).

I'm just trying to get a general game plan in mind, and this thread was really helpful! I do think it will be better to at least attempt the more advanced schedule, and then we can readjust as we go.

Funny thing is, I will probably have the exact opposite thing happen with ds8, who is flying through Singapore math, and prefers the IP books so it can be "harder and more fun." :)

THANK YOU for the help!

Jane

:iagree:

I agree when hits higher level math. your kid might just surprise you

Edited by jennynd

I wish someone would have told me that several years ago! I always thought of my oldest as a language-oriented, "non-mathy" kid. She did Algebra I in 8th grade, but I didn't think she got enough out of it, so I had her do Algebra I again in 9th grade.

Well, she took off with it, and over the last two years, she's blown through math. She did very well with the math portions of the PLAN test, the ACT and the Accuplacer.

To make up for the fact that she took Algebra I in 9th grade, she'll accelerate her math sequence over the next two years by taking classes at a local college, which will put her at finishing calc her senior year.

Also, I don't necessarily think a college prep math sequence needs to finish with calculus. Unless you're child is considering a specifically math/engineering school like MIT or Caltech, chances are that their college will be happy with a sequence that ends in pre-calc.

Jane

My non-mathy youngest was two years behind grade level when we pulled him from ps after 4th grade. By homeschooling we caught him up and he tested at the 85th percentile after 8th grade and Alg 1. Now he's back in ps finishing 9th grade now tomorrow. This past Tuesday he just got 100% on his Geometry final. (That said, our school uses a curriculum I don't like, so we'll be finishing Geometry at home, but still...) I could never have predicted his high school math ability by what we saw in elementary school.

And he still doesn't LIKE math. He'll be doing Stats as his final math course since he's unlikely to need Calc. (Planned Botany major.)

While there is some disagreement, many believe the "math mind" develops later in teen life. I definitely believe it.

Non-mathy child--like my boy who took 3 years to learn his multiplication tables and F.I.N.A.L.L.Y. got through Algebra 2 upon high school graduation?

Yeah, he is starting his junior year in engineering...next semester is Calculus 3. He made it through Chemistry for Engineers (more than 1/2 the class dropped it part way through) and Physics. He's not getting straight A's, but he's passing all his classes the 1st time he takes them which is great compared to those who have to take these classes more than once.

:lol:

Don't sweat the math. Do what you can. My recommendation is that you teach it until she understands it so that what she does know is strong. A lot of things can change by the time she is 18. And the math she does not get in high school, she can take in college even if she has a major that requires more than just general education credits. She probably won't get into the more prestigious nuclear physics program, but then, she probably won't want to try.

:)Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Non-mathy child--like my boy who took 3 years to learn his multiplication tables and F.I.N.A.L.L.Y. got through Algebra 2 upon high school graduation?

Yeah, he is starting his junior year in engineering...next semester is Calculus 3.

:lol:

Thank you for sharing this, Jean! It's very encouraging!!

Thank you! I'm feeling so encouraged by these posts!

We will just keep moving forward, hoping that the "math mind" develops. If it doesn't, we can always skip calc. But at least we'll be on track so I'm not closing any doors for her down the line by slowing things down now.