Menu

Swim diaper

Does your niece realize that you can wash regular swim diapers in the washing machine and let them air dry, then reuse them? As long as there has been no fecal matter in them, then they are totally wash and reuse. I just found this out last year and made it through the entire summer on one package of swim diapers.

The IPlay ones are very good. Our park district doesn't even allow the disposable ones in their pools. You have to purchase an Iplay from them if you show up at the pool with only disposable swim diapers.

Came back to add - the reusable swim diapers have tighter elastic around the legs than a normal cloth diaper cover would. I tried using both on my boys and the swim diaper was much more ooze-proof.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Does your niece realize that you can wash regular swim diapers in the washing machine and let them air dry, then reuse them? As long as there has been no fecal matter in them, then they are totally wash and reuse. I just found this out last year and made it through the entire summer on one package of swim diapers.

:iagree:

That's what we did way back in the day

We used a $5 target one. You can also just use a cloth cover (like BumGenius). The diapers need to keep the fecal matter in NOT the urine, as I guess regular diapers don't do that either.

Regular swim diapers do not, no. The problem is that if the swim diaper absorbed the urine, it would absorb all that liquid in the pool as well, and become heavy enough to be a safety hazard for the baby/pull the baby down pretty much immediately. You can't make it absorb urine and not pool water.

We used the iplay ones and liked them as long as they fit on our kids. If we went swimming a LOT, I'd have gotten two, but so far we've made 1 swim diaper last an entire season. I very much prefer the covers that velcro open and shut.

I never knew this!! Wow. Thanks for posting and letting all of the clueless know. :D

We don't even wash disposable swim diapers in the washing machine. I just put them upside-down/inside-out over a large juice bottle (filled with water to stabilize) to dry.

After all, they've been marinating in chlorinated water.