Menu

Which states give financial aid and other questions.

I was wondering which/if any states give $ aid for curriculum or other services? Also which states allow students to take 1-2 classes at PS and HS the rest. Lastly who allows HS children to join in PS sports?

We are thinking of moving again and I want to evaluate all information prior to choosing where to go.

Thanks

Texas doesn't offer anything in the way of aid to homeschool students. Thankfully! We also have the most homeschool freedom. :D

I have heard that some districts allow homeschool children to take classes and/or sports, but our district does not.

Iowa, at one time, allowed homeschool students to take classes and sports through the public school system.

If I were moving to another state and interested in homeschooling, I would look at homeschool regulations/freedoms over public school involvement.

My own experience between Iowa and Texas -- Iowa (again, at one time) allowed homeschool children to take classes and sports. But homeschool options are (or were) so limited.

On the flip side, I am in Texas and we are not allowed to participate in public school. That opens up a wide variety of options, as businesses realize that there is a great demand for classes - and homeschool families are available to fill that normally 'dead' time in their business. (Late mornings and early afternoons, when most children are in public school.) We have an insane amount of outside courses available!

FL:

1. No tax breaks/credits/money for HSing

2. Can take extracurriculars at public schools, ie sports, band etc. Some schools let you take classes, mostly at high school level. Law does not require them to let you take normal classes (only extracurricular), so it is up to individual schools to allow this. Also many private schools open their doors for HSers on part-time basis for classes and sports.

NC:

1. No tax breaks/credits/money

2. While no law disallowing/allowing classes, extracurriculuars, so it is up to individual schools, it is almost unheard of any public schools to let a HSer in their doors. Many private schools do let HSers in though, for part-time

SC:

1. No tax breaks/credits/money, although there is current legislation supposed to be voted on this session, allowing $1000 tax credit per HS student.

2. Again, no law disallowing/allowing classes, extracurrulars, so again up to the schools, again almost unheard of. Many private schools welcome HSers for classes, not so much for sports, at least in our area.

Just my 2 cents, from the states I have HSed in the last two years.

No states give money to homeschoolers.

Many states have charter schools or other similar programs that are home-based; children enrolled in them are legally public school students, not homeschooled students (yes, even though their "classrooms" are in their kitchens). Some of them are Internet-based and provide K12 or other Internet-based curriculum; some provide Calvert or other materials, some give the parents stipends to purchase what they want (within guidelines).

You'd have to check with specific school districts to see if they allow homeschoolers to participate in sports or to take classes at local public schools.

Florida also allows hs students to dual enroll in community college classes for free and hs students qualify for Sunshine scholarships, which pay for state college tuition based on high school GPA. Both of these are benefits provided to public school students and homeschool students alike. It's pretty fantastic.

In WA there are some alt-ed programs (some statewide, some offered by individual districts) that help fund home-based education. They require weekly student contact with a teacher & monthly reporting by the parent, as well as written student-learning plans (submitted annually). Help is provided in writing the learning plan, if needed. I had some of my kids enrolled in such a program this year, and I must say that the funding was very helpful. However, the State Legislature has just passed a Bill (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2065&year=2011) which puts many more restriction on these programs, so we intend to return to independent homeschooling (which is pretty unrestrictive in WA) next year. (From chatting with my SIL in AK, it sounds like they have similar, but much less restrictive, programs there.)

The law provides for homeschoolers to participate part-time in public schools without losing homeschool status.

HTH:)

ETA: Oh yeah, we also have "Running Start" here, which allows students age 16 and up (public, private, or hsed)to enroll in community college classes (state funded) and receive dual (high school/ college) credit.

Edited by yslek

My problem with all of the privately offered classes is the $$$. Art or music classes for $25 per hour once a week times 2 children is $200 per month. If they're also playing soccer/seasonal sport $100, taking gymnastics $60 per month, karate $90 per month is more then I can afford. We are getting to a point with my son where he needs someone more advanced then me to teach him math. A good tutor would cost me $20 per hour. Again I can't afford that. So, even though it goes against everything I believe in, if it will benefit my children then I'm willing to give up some of the "control" of their education. So I'm not looking for virtual school, or even a hit and miss some districts let you others don't. What I'm looking for is which states if any allow $ for tutors, or children to take specific classes or 1-2 days attendance in a B&M school. Also inclusion in PS sports/extracurriculars would be great.

My problem with all of the privately offered classes is the $$$. Art or music classes for $25 per hour once a week times 2 children is $200 per month. If they're also playing soccer/seasonal sport $100, taking gymnastics $60 per month, karate $90 per month is more then I can afford. We are getting to a point with my son where he needs someone more advanced then me to teach him math. A good tutor would cost me $20 per hour. Again I can't afford that. So, even though it goes against everything I believe in, if it will benefit my children then I'm willing to give up some of the "control" of their education. So I'm not looking for virtual school, or even a hit and miss some districts let you others don't. What I'm looking for is which states if any allow $ for tutors, or children to take specific classes or 1-2 days attendance in a B&M school. Also inclusion in PS sports/extracurriculars would be great.

NJ. I don’t take advantage of those specific rights as of yet, but from what I understand, it’s allowed here...I am signing my son up for the local sports team soon, all children are eligible, whether they are in PS or not ....

It's very inexpensive compared to other classes that he has taken (and I believe it's asscociated with the schools).

There are also some reasonably priced co-ops (depending upon where you live) that offer substantial savings on some of those extra-curricular classes...

It’s easy peasy to homeschool in NJ- no notice is required.

Edited by lovemykids
exhausted

NJ. I don’t take advantage of those specific rights as of yet, but from what I understand, it’s allowed here...I am signing my son up for the local sports team soon, all children are eligible, whether they are in PS or not ....

It's very inexpensive compared to other classes that he has taken (and I believe it's asscociated with the schools).

There are also some reasonably priced co-ops (depending upon where you live) that offer substantial savings on some of those extra-curricular classes...

It’s easy peasy to homeschool in NJ- no notice is required.

from my experience (I've only been home educating a minute) - in NJ- it is up to each individual school district regarding public school extracurriculars. Our district said no. OTOH - my daughter can register at the community college at any time and take any class no age restriction. They have a full time employee just for homeschooled students.

robin in nj

In MN we can deduct homeschool expenses if they are not religiously based curriculum. We can also file to get a per student amount of money each year that normally would go to the PS, much like private schools. Counseling services are also available.

We are allowed to have our children participate in school activities, although I'm not sure about HS sports... I would have to check on that. I know hs'ers can participate in post-secondary options.

Really, we enjoy a lot of freedom and the government assistance is there for those who choose to accept it.

There is some current legislation up that will take away the per student money in return for a few less restrictions on homeschoolers.

If you have your bachelors degree in anything all you need to do is submit paper work each year (which will change with new legislation.. only would need to submit once for each child) and use a standardized test each year starting the age of 7. Reporting age is the school year your child is 7 at the beginning of the year.

If you don't have a bachelor's there are currently more restrictions.. must maintain grades and submit a report card each quarter and maybe something else, not sure. This would also go away if the new legislation passes.

All in all, I think MN is a pretty good state to homeschool in. We have a very politically active Christian homeschooling group that fights hard for our freedoms.

PA has some of the most rigid laws' date=' does not allow any tax breaks or any money and has no unbrella or charters for homeschool (though they have virtual cyber charters, but it's public school at home, not homeschooling), there are no laws allowing or dis-allowing taking some classes in public school (but like others have said it is unheard of), and as far as extracurriculuars, we do have laws that say we are allowed to participate, but space is provided first to the enrolled public school kids and really if a district just didn't want to include homeschool kids, they could say that there were no more open positions (we aren't involved with anything from the district, my kids are into scouting and we are considering 4H as well).[/quote']

I'm in PA and after reading the HS law, I was under the impression that school districts must make extra-curriculars available to homeschool families. Sports, music, etc. Now, this means technically they have to. In practice it might be impossible due to scheduling and the teachers welcoming the idea, but by law they are required to allow it.

But no financial assistance.

Iowa - No money assistance. IME (of talking to the principal of the closest elementary ps) and through talking to other homeschoolers, public schools welcome homeschoolers for art, gym, music, intramurals for elementary school, all classes? as well as sports for high school, no idea about middle school.

There are also HSAPs (Home School Assistance Programs). Through these (which are publicly funded) you can rent or borrow curricula (details depend on which HSAP you join, if you join one) and enroll in classes (again, the classes vary depending on the HSAP).

from my experience (I've only been home educating a minute) - in NJ- it is up to each individual school district regarding public school extracurriculars. Our district said no. OTOH - my daughter can register at the community college at any time and take any class no age restriction. They have a full time employee just for homeschooled students.

robin in nj

Ah, you are right. I have been homeschooling forever (or so it seems) but we have only been here a few years. I know of many homeschoolers who take classes at PS so I thought it was okay. I actually I called my local school to discuss it one day.

This is pulled from the Department of Education’s website:

“The local board of education is not required by law to allow a child educated elsewhere than at school to participate in the regular school curriculum or in extracurricular or sports activities. Such participation is at the sole discretion of the board once the child is identified as educated elsewhere than at school as identified below:

•Curricular and Extracurricular - A board of education may, but is not required by law to, allow a child educated elsewhere than at school to participate in curricular and extracurricular activities or sports activities. Before deciding to do so, however, a board of education may wish to consult with its attorney to consider the full implications of such participation.â€

It does seem that many schools are willing to do this but you would need to check beforehand.

Pennsylvania no $$ - but you can do school sports programs

Edited by Karis
typo

Just to expand a bit on what Robyn posted...

MN offers both a tax credit and a tax deduction for homeschoolers. The credit is income restricted, so you must be below a certain income to qualify. The deduction is not income restricted, and allows us to write off a significant portion of our curriculum expenses each year.

MN also provides the Post-Secondary Enrollment Option, which allows high school juniors and seniors to take dual enrollment college classes paid for by the state. PSEO is not limited to community colleges, but includes many private colleges and state universities. My oldest daughter will be a full-time college student next year through the PSEO program. If all goes well, when she graduates high school, she will have two full years of college already completed which is a pretty significant financial benefit.

While it is also possible to request a small reimbursement for books from your local district, I haven't bothered with that.

Oh, edited to add that it is possible to do part-time enrollment, but it depends on whether or not a district school has space. It's also possible to request part-time enrollment in another district. We have many friends who take one or two classes (usually science) at the high school, and homeschool everything else.

I moved here from California last fall, and was surprised to see how easy it is to homeschool here.

Edited by sailmom

I haven't read the responses, so sorry if I double up. Washington state does not give $ for curriculum, but a HS student can take classes in PS even across districts. So, they could take a business class at one school and band at another. I understand that is a paperwork nightmare for the schools and they fight you on it, but it is possible. They can also play sports, but I believe they would have to play at their home school for that.

Thanks to everyone for the info, I appriciate it. We would like to try some place new and this has helped a lot. I would be interested in anywhere but the NE, should have stated that sooner. We don't like large cities or bitter winters, I could live with one but not both! We've lived in the South for 6 years and I'm ready for a change.

Thanks to everyone for the info, I appriciate it. We would like to try some place new and this has helped a lot. I would be interested in anywhere but the NE, should have stated that sooner. We don't like large cities or bitter winters, I could live with one but not both! We've lived in the South for 6 years and I'm ready for a change.

There are beautiful, country areas in NJ as well.;) It’s truly gorgeous here. But I don’t blame you for not liking the harsh winters. It's enough to make me want to move at times.

Years ago, I remember a friend of mine, in California, mentioning that she received a certain dollar amount to cover her non-religious curricula. You might want to investigate their homeschool statues.