Menu

Life Of Fred... what do i pair with it???

i need something simple to pair with it, self teaching. thorw me some ideas please! :lurk5: thanks!
Which levels of LOF? Do you what a full program or a supplement?

we would be starting fractions and im not really sure what i want lol! i was thinking at first i could use it alone, but if theres no previous concepts (addition, subtraction, multiplication or division)... i might need something else to pair it with for dd (12 yr old starting 7th in the fall)...

You could use it in tandem with something like Chalkdust Basic Math for 7th... I'm using it with Math Mammoth 6, and then going from that to Pre-Algebra 1 & 2. Another option (I didn't really look too far) is something like an Abeka test and skills book (like level 6 or 7). It includes review of some basics, but is not a teaching book. More like a skills review.

Teaching Textbooks? That's the pair we're doing, TT + LOF.

That is what we will do once ds is in algebra. For now he's using a Saxon book I had on the shelf along w/ LoF.

If you can afford the lower level books of Fred too, your dc can get some review by zipping through them, and they can get to know more of the story, you know, the life of Fred. My dc love knowing what happens to Fred.

we use TT now, and i have to get away from it, we are down to one computer and i need that for my youngest child...

Can she use the computer in the evening. We are a one computer family as well with three children using TT at the moment. It's challenging because I do have four children using the computer for Math-Whizz as well, but some how it all seems to work out.

As for LoF, I like the Key to Series suggestion but if you can swing using TT still, many people combine it with LoF

Math Mammoth 6 (light blue) would be something like TT7 (maybe a bit "more" than TT7), but a little less than Chalkdust Basic Math. Saxon 8/7 would be another option in that range.

I'm assuming you don't feel your dd is quite ready for Pre-Algebra? Decimals and Fractions are not a stand alone program... really just more depth on those concepts.

You may want to have your dd take a Pre-Algebra placement test for TT, and then use LoF decimals & percents at the beginning... moving into LoF Pre-Algebra 1 afterwards alongside TT, and finish up w/ Pre-Algebra 2 after you finish TT Pre-Algebra and LoF Pre-Algebra 1.

It's all guesswork from here. What program did your dd complete this past year?

i need something simple to pair with it, self teaching. thorw me some ideas please! :lurk5: thanks!

If you're going to be using the Fractions book, I'd pair it with something that actually teaches fractions, perhaps Math U See.

shes finishing TT 6 next week. i guess im more worried she will forget past concepts without some kind of review, like multiplication fo multy digits and long division?
There will be practice of basic operations in the first two LOF books; the expectation is that the student will not use a calculator. There will be little practice in factoring.