Menu

My local shelter stinks. And then some. (sorry. this is long)

:rant:I've posted before about wanting to adopt a second dog. Last Friday we found a 7 month old pup we fell madly in love with. We played with her for about 1/2 hour and we established with one of the employees that were going to come back on Saturday to pick her up.

When I came back on Sat, the lady behind the desk told me she wasn't available. I asked a hundred questions, but she kept saying she wasn't "available". Eventually she told me that the dog hadn't been behavior tested or spayed yet, so she would be available on Tues. I felt like we should still be able to put a "hold" on her, so when I got home, I emailed stating that we definitely wanted her and what should we do. I still haven't heard back from that email.

On Monday I called as soon as they opened to ask what we need to do to ensure we get to pick up the dog as soon as possible. He said "the dog is not available". After a lot of dancing around, he explained the dog was a stray and that today (Monday) was the last day of being held so the owners could claim her and then she would need testing and to be spayed. He told me I could not "hold" the dog and to "keep checking the website to see when she will be available". I explained I did not want the dog to become openly available and that we would pay for the adoption asap. Nope. "Just keep checking the website," he told me. :glare:

Tuesday I checked something like 200 times and there was no picture of this dog.

Today, Wednesday, I called several times (no one answered). So, I went down there to see if she was claimed by her original owners or if she was even still there. Eventually I found out that the dog had been adopted. On Friday. By someone else. And she would be going home with that family tonight. :glare::crying:

I was so frustrated, disappointed, angry, heartbroken! I sent the shelter administrator a very length email, (which was answered asap, btw). After a few emails back and forth, here is what he finally said:

Laura,

This appears to have been a comedy of errors and I must apologize for any upset this has caused you and your family. Roxie was made available on Friday by mistake. She was being treated for kennel cough and that was why we couldn't give you much in the way of information about when she would be spayed or even made available. Unfortunately, before the mistake was noticed two potential adopters, one being you, spent time with her. The other adopter filled out an application and our shelter manager allowed her to put a hold on Roxie. This is not normal procedure but as we had made the original mistake an exception was made.

The person you spoke to on Friday was a volunteer and really doesn't have the knowledge of our adoption procedure's to have guided you correctly. In short it is our policy not to give out information on animals until they are actually, healthy, sterilized and available, hence your difficulty finding out any further information once the mistake was corrected and she was made unavailable again.

She was spayed today having finished her treatment yesterday. I have no idea why you would have been told that she hadn't had her behavior evaluation as it was performed on 4/28 and shown as such in our data base. The male staffer you spoke to is new and just being trained.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, this is certainly not the way we normally operate, and I hope that we will be able to place a new companion in your home in the near future.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Unfortunately, I'm not at a place where I find the whole thing even remotely "comedic". :glare: I can't answer him right now because, while I understand human error, I spoke with no fewer than 6 different individuals over the last 5 days and I'm feeling like perhaps collectively, they should have more smarts than the 2 year old mentality of the dogs they represent. Why on earth would so many people NOT be able to give me a straight answer?

Oh, and beyond the possessive in the second paragraph, the entire thing is a lie. A few weeks ago we were going to adopt another dog from their shelter and they called while we were on the way to pick the dog up to state that she had kennel cough and started treatment that morning. I came here for the wise wisdom of the Hive and was going to go back to get her the next day...but she had already been adopted. So, to suggest that they only adopt "healthy" dogs is bs.:rant:

Thanks. I needed that.

Edited by LauraGB

:grouphug::grouphug:

The local shelter here is very similar. They just don't have the trained staff to give anyone a straight answer, and this type of thing happens a lot.

Someone had mentioned trying a rescue - honestly, I would just find a breeder, or else go to the pet store (I know, I know...but they need love too and they're not responsible for the breeder's actions). My experiences with rescues have been surreal.

Oh - sometimes local animal hospitals and vets will have animals for adoption. You may want to try calling them as well.

Just reading what you went through makes my blood pressure rise. Incompetence drives me batty. I'm so sorry you weren't able to adopt the dog you wanted. :grouphug:

I agree with Shawna, try the local animal hospitals and vet offices. They might have something for you.

I remember your previous situation too. I'm so sorry. I agree that there is nothing comedic about it.

You had mentioned in some other post (the new puppy roll call?) that you were going to look at private shelters or rescues? It unfortunately sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks for remembering.

I had an appt scheduled with a Golden rescue for tomorrow at noon, which I cancelled earlier this week because I thought I'd already found our dog, and I explained that to her so she didn't have to travel all the way up here for an interview. Now I feel too stupid to call her back. I think I'll keep checking Petfinder (they have their dogs listed there, too) to see if anyone within a 100 mile radius has what we are looking for.

Oh - sometimes local animal hospitals and vets will have animals for adoption. You may want to try calling them as well.

Thanks, that's a great idea! I hadn't considered that avenue. Rosie and the cat are both due for their shots in June. I'll for sure talk to them then, if not before.

Just reading what you went through makes my blood pressure rise. Incompetence drives me batty. I'm so sorry you weren't able to adopt the dog you wanted. :grouphug:

I agree with Shawna, try the local animal hospitals and vet offices. They might have something for you.

Thanks. I was wondering, after I came down from my initial anger, if I was even thinking clearly. I just really, really want another dog...very, very badly. I have to be choosy, so it's not all about me, or the kids, or dh. We have other people who live here also that I need to consider. Okay, it's mostly all about me ;), but not entirely. So, when I found a great fit, I was so excited. If they just would have explained sooner, I think I would have dealt with it much better.

Edited by LauraGB
because sometimes I don't make any sense!

Reading their response makes me think someone else who they knew better or who had connections to at least one of their people working there ended up with this puppy. It's all conjecture, of course, but very often in life it is who you know that pulls strings.

I fully agree that their behavior is horrid to say the least. At a minimum, someone should be telling you the truth. Actually, all should have been telling you the truth even when the truth is someone else is adopting the dog.

:grouphug::grouphug:

That is aggravating.

I used to work with rescues and now I won't deal with them when we are adding a pet.

I just can't deal with the hoops they make people jump through.

My past 3 dogs I found on craigslist and they were free.

All wonderful dogs that people couldn't keep due to a change living situation or allergies.

T

My past 3 dogs I found on craigslist and they were free.

Not that I am in any way advocating craigslist, but that's where Rosie came from, too, but she was $10 ;) I check there often. Although, I never see any pet listings anymore. I think they might be actually enforcing their own rules here.

Why are they even allowing people to play with and thus "preview" pets who are not available for adoption? Perhaps suggest some constructive changes in their policy to prevent future hurt and loss of public goodwill and potential donor funds.

FYI, Craigslist has a pet section where you are just dealing with one individual looking to rehome a pet, often for a good reason - no red tape.

Edit: Opps I see the suggestion has already been made. The pets section on Craigslist is under the Community Banner, not the For Sale banner. There is always a huge number available here.

Laura, I'm so very sorry. :(

It sucks when you think you've met your soulmate and someone else is getting him instead.

I've got two shelters close to me. One is run by the large, more urban county and that one SUCKS. It's not just about hoop jumping. It's that they are totally incompetent. And "they don't do cats." What???

And the other more rural shelter is run by two very dedicated people who will do anything to ensure that their pets go to good homes.

I wish you lived close to me. I'd take you to the rural shelter. We spent 2 1/2 hours there before we brought Riker home and that isn't consdiering the week's worth of calls I made.

Is there a possibility of the same being true for you? If you go a little outside your county, can you find another shelter?

I would be sending a flaming letter back to the "comedy of errors" jerk. That's not how you run a shelter!!!!

I would be sending a flaming letter back to the "comedy of errors" jerk. That's not how you run a shelter!!!!

Not only would I be sending them that flaming letter, but in the letter I would indicate I was considering sending a copy to the local paper.

At this point, nothing you do will get you that wonderful dog, but bringing a little publicity to the issue might encourage the shelter to treat you and future would-be adopters with more respect.

Not only would I be sending them that flaming letter, but in the letter I would indicate I was considering sending a copy to the local paper.

At this point, nothing you do will get you that wonderful dog, but bringing a little publicity to the issue might encourage the shelter to treat you and future would-be adopters with more respect.

Jenny is brilliant!! That's a really good idea!!

This really irritates me because most shelters are so darn flooded right now. When you lose your job/home, you surrender your pets before you starve your kids. :(

There are so many animals out there right now that are wonderful but just get abandoned.

My Riker was leash trained, neutered, potty trained, sat on command, gave you his paw on command, etc. etc. And someone just dumped him in a new neighborhood and drove off. In February. :(

The good shelter around here said that it's incredibly common right now. People are having to make awful choices.

So it seems to me that running a shelter ethically and intelligently is incredily important right now!!

We had trouble with our local shelter too.

We are licensed by the state for foster care and have had over 100 foster children come through out home. We have been approved for adoption and adopted 3 child, but..............the shelter will NOT allow us to adopt a pet as we don't fit the criteria they have. 100 children, yes, a dog, no.

We found a rescue that would allow us to have a "farm dog". They actually were looking for a farm for the dog we have now.....an Australian shepherd mix. She had never been inside and was scared to death. The plan was for her to be an outdoor door with an insulated coop in the garage as well as access to the barn.

Texas though has over the past year decided that the loveseat in the living room or our bedroom floor are the best places to hang out. She LOVES to be outside with us and runs free on our acreage but is in the house for the night and much of the day.

In our area, many pets are put under "farm and garden" on Craig's List with a "rehoming fee".

I found our wonderful Matilda through Petfinder. I won't deny the hassle involved, but it was worth it to me to bring home the dog who has turned out to be my best friend.

I had very specific criteria, too. We rent, and the landlord had approved only a dog that would be under 18 pounds as an adult. (Okay, what actually happened was that I found a dog I loved that was supposed to be only about 12 pounds fully grown. At that point, we weren't allowed to have a dog, but I shared the photo with my husband, just because the dog was adorable. He contacted the landlord and begged and got permission for me to adopt the dog. By the time he got back to me with the surprise, that dog had already found a home. But I considered that permisssion enough to keep looking. And I figured "small" meant "under 20 pounds." So, now you know the whole story.)

I wanted a puppy, because we already had two cats, and I figured there was a better chance of everyone adapting if the dog was young.

I had done a lot of breed research and had a list of several that were more or less desirable to have in a mix.

And I had a purely personal preference for something fluffy. And for a female.

It turned out to be tougher than one might expect to find the right dog and get permission to adopt her. Small dogs are extremely popular, apparently. And puppies go quickly. Several times, I found listings for dogs that seemed like good matches, only to discover they were already spoken for by other families.

Finally, I widened my search, including any city within a reasonable drive off the highway between here and my daughter's campus, reasoning that I make the drive several times a year and could always detour.

That did the trick. I found a small, privately-run rescue in South Carolina who had taken in a pregnant female pomeranian mix. She had given birth to three puppies, the father of whom was some kind of poodle mix. Since both poodles and poms were on my list of desirable breeds and the puppies met all of my other criteria, I got in touch. It turned out the other two were already reserved, but one of the females was available. She would be ready to go home right around the time I'd be taking my daughter back to school from spring break.

The rescue lady took all of my information and checked my vet reference and approved me the same day.

Three weeks later, I brought home Matilda.

Even my husband the cat person likes her. And my daughter, who thought she didn't like dogs, can't wait to move out and get a puppy of her own.

I do remember in the midst of the search being so frustrated. All I wanted to do was give a dog a good home. Why should it be so hard? I remember walking into a puppy store, the kind of place I would never actually patronize, just to be close to some dogs. There were signs up all over the store with prices of several hundred dollars per dog. And I remember thinking I could totally afford to just buy a puppy right then and there. I was certain the store owner wouldn't ask any questions or give me a hard time, and I could have gone home with a dog that day.

Instead, I was trying to do the right thing by taking in a dog who needed me, and it was turning out to be so much more difficult. It didn't seem right at all.

But I hung in there and found Matilda. And she's turned out to be just the dog I needed. So, it was worth the wait and hassle.

I hope you find the right dog soon, too.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

How does this letter sound? I have it saved to my drafts. Should I add anything else to it?

S-,

Unfortunately, our family does not find these errors comedic. I did not write to you to lament our not being able to adopt Roxie; we are glad she has found a home and sincerely hope it is a good one for her, and had someone, anyone, told us the dog was already adopted, we obviously would not have looked forward to and planned for five days to bring her home. I wrote to you to let you know that there is a serious communication gap going on. I spoke with no fewer than 6 different staff members over 5 days, and no one even suggested the dog had already been adopted and that was why she was "unavailable".

I've shared this story with several people, and all of them have said either they or someone they knew had similar experiences with the B-- A---- Humane Society, citing that many of them would never go to this particular shelter again because of it. And it is a total shame that the humans are getting in the way because all those animals deserve better.

Hopefully something can be done to prevent future messes like this one.

Thanks,

Laura

And since I'm a complete glutton for punishment, I made dh go back with me today to visit another dog (I'm guessing they don't like me much anymore and I was afraid to go back by myself :001_rolleyes:). We brought our dog with for a meet. The lady at the desk said the dog was out with another person right now, but we could wait until they got back. So, we went back to the kennels...only to find the dog lying in her kennel! So, we found someone else to take her out or us, and as soon as we got outside, she pooped, which tells me she likely hadn't been out recently at all. :glare: Whatever. I'm going to try to figure a way to ban the website from my computer because it would seem I have no self control.

We are licensed by the state for foster care and have had over 100 foster children come through out home. We have been approved for adoption and adopted 3 child, but..............the shelter will NOT allow us to adopt a pet as we don't fit the criteria they have. 100 children, yes, a dog, no.

That's insane. I'm sorry you had to deal with that garbage. There is a rescue here that won't adopt to anyone with a pool, even if it is fenced in (which is a law, anyway). :001_huh:

Edit: Opps I see the suggestion has already been made. The pets section on Craigslist is under the Community Banner, not the For Sale banner. There is always a huge number available here.

That's where the listings went!! Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I love animals and I have a bunch of them to prove it....but here is what really gets me mad...in my area (NYS) a girl, GIRL, can have an abortion, but you have to be over 18 to buy a goldfish at Petsmart. ARE YOU KIDDDDIIIINNNNNGGGGG ME? Sadly, no I'm not. I'm sorry you had this happen but for some reason, that dog wasn't meant for you and you will find the perfect one when the time is right. I really do believe that.

How does this letter sound? I have it saved to my drafts. Should I add anything else to it?

S-,

Unfortunately, our family does not find these errors comedic. I did not write to you to lament our not being able to adopt Roxie; we are glad she has found a home and sincerely hope it is a good one for her, and had someone, anyone, told us the dog was already adopted, we obviously would not have looked forward to and planned for five days to bring her home. I wrote to you to let you know that there is a serious communication gap going on. I spoke with no fewer than 6 different staff members over 5 days, and no one even suggested the dog had already been adopted and that was why she was "unavailable".

I've shared this story with several people, and all of them have said either they or someone they knew had similar experiences with the B-- A---- Humane Society, citing that many of them would never go to this particular shelter again because of it. And it is a total shame that the humans are getting in the way because all those animals deserve better.

Hopefully something can be done to prevent future messes like this one.

Thanks,

Laura

And since I'm a complete glutton for punishment, I made dh go back with me today to visit another dog (I'm guessing they don't like me much anymore and I was afraid to go back by myself :001_rolleyes:). We brought our dog with for a meet. The lady at the desk said the dog was out with another person right now, but we could wait until they got back. So, we went back to the kennels...only to find the dog lying in her kennel! So, we found someone else to take her out or us, and as soon as we got outside, she pooped, which tells me she likely hadn't been out recently at all. :glare: Whatever. I'm going to try to figure a way to ban the website from my computer because it would seem I have no self control.

I would mention that this is the SECOND time you've had an issue (mention the fact, that contradicts what he stated, that the first time they told you about the dog's health, etc).

VERY good point! Okay, so I added this paragraph and amended the next:

Also, regarding this statement in your letter: "In short it is our policy not to give out information on animals until they are actually, healthy, sterilized and available, hence your difficulty finding out any further information once the mistake was corrected and she was made unavailable again". A few weeks ago, we were ready to adopt another dog. On our way to pick her up, we received a phone call letting us know that the dog had started treatment for kennel cough that morning. Since we have a dog and a cat at home, I explained that we needed some more time to think about what to do. I made some phone calls to our vet and then to my parents to see if they could take our dog so we could pick up the other dog, but keep the two separated for the 10 day quarantine period. When I called back the next day, the dog had already been adopted out. So, again, there seems to be no clear protocol - if you are telling me dogs are not made available until they are healthy, then how is it that that dog was adopted on the same day she started treatment for kennel cough (which, I believe, is why Roxie was being held)?

I've shared this story with several people, and all of them have said either they or someone they knew had similar experiences with the B--- A---- Humane Society, citing that many of them would never go to this particular shelter again because of it. So, it would appear that this is, in fact, the way B--- A---- Humane Society "normally operates". And it is a total shame that the humans are getting in the way because all those animals deserve better.

I think I'm ready to hit send.

Edited by LauraGB

I'm glad to hear you sent your message.

We had terrible luck with several shelters/humane societies. I've found local, volunteer run rescues to be much easier to deal with. Both our dogs came from rescue organizations and were originally found on Petfinder. It was the only two times I actually contacted an organization and both times we ended up with the dog, despite others inquiring. Serendipitous!