Menu

Gary Taubes -low carb - thougths?

I have been on weight watchers for about 8 weeks now and am close to my goal weight. Two weeks ago I picked up Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat. Now that I have read it, I am really torn and unsure how to proceed.

I have been relatively happy counting my points and exercising and losing weight. According to Gary's book, the underlying weight loss should be attributed to a reduction in carbs (which I have reduced, but certainly come nowhere near eliminating!)

So do I just focus on low carb and bag everything else? Since I am within a pound or two of my goal and headed to maintenance, what does low carb maintenance look like?

I finally lose weight, and now when someone asks me how, I can't even give them a good answer! I though it was "eat-less, exercise-more," but maybe not....

Please help me sort this out....

Thanks!

My personal belief and experience is that weight loss works differently for different people. WW worked for you, and I would say that you should then stick with it. It's a healthy, well-balanced approach that has been effective for you, so go with it.

Also, just FYI, everyone I know who has actually kept their weight off for years has used WW. Everyone. I have seen people lose weight in a lot of other ways, but WW seems to stick better than Jenny Craig, Atkins, Nutrisystem, those liquid fasts, Pritikin or any others. I'm not saying it's the only one that works, but there seems to be something special about it that keeps you in it for the long haul better than most.

I have been doing low carb, specifically, Atkins for almost three years. It has worked great for me and I have been more successful with this than anything else.

Maintenance can be the most challenging part of weight control. There are many great plans and I think if WW is working and not broken there is no need to "fix" it. :) You may find in the future that you need a change for one reason or another.

Sometimes our bodies "adapt" to what we have been doing and we may need a change to shake things up a bit. I am looking at other plans right now because I think I might need a change. I really love Atkins and I believe in it, but I have put back on about 10 pounds and am having a hard time taking them off. I am wondering if a different approach where I concentrate a bit more on calories as well as carbs might help.

I think if WW is working for you now, keep it up. Congratulations on your success.:D Weight control is challenging no matter what method we choose.

I recently read this book, due to a recommendation on this board. In the book, he mentions several times that this (low carb) is the only thing that will work for certain people... chronically overweight, morbidly obese, etc.

I consider myself chronically overweight. The only way I can avoid suffering from horrible food cravings is to eat very limited carbs. I have lost weight using weight watchers and other "sensible" weight-loss plans, but I always end up feeling like I am starving. Gary Taubes, for the most part, makes sense to me.

BUT- I'm not on board with 100% of his ideas.

I also like the comedy/documentary FatHead. (link to blog)

On one hand, I'd say that if WW is working for you and you're happy with it (and feel like you can keep doing it long term), then if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, I'd say that there's more to eating than whether you're fat or thin. My mom lost a bunch of weight a few years ago and has maintained it with really strict calorie-counting. But she has type 2 diabetes and her blood sugar is poorly controlled even with medication, and she's also on meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol. She pays very little attention to what she eats beyond just the calorie counting, and IMO, she'd be doing much better if she'd cut her carbs way down. That family history of diabetes is much of the reason I finally decided to start eating low carb. I'm actually not losing much weight...I've lost about 10 pounds, but that's over the course of 4 months. That's discouraging (and I just had bloodwork done last week to check my thyroid, et. al, and I'm not so patiently waiting for those results), but it is working better than WW ever did for me (I'd generally lose 5 pounds then stall for...umm, ever). And, more importantly, my blood pressure is great and my blood sugar has been really good and stable. I don't get blood sugar crashes when I don't eat for a few hours like I used to and I don't get crazy sugar cravings anymore.

SO...all of that to say that I think for ME keeping carbs low is definitely the way to go, because I know that I'm prone to blood sugar issues and that this fixes them. Even if I were losing weight with WW I would still think this was better because of that. But that doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

I read his earlier book (harder read) and am 1/2 way through his new one.

I "believe" his perspective because I live it. So-called sensible, reduced portion, balanced, styles don't work for me. My body is messed up in the same ways he profiles in his books.

I especially like what he says about the assumption of lazy/sedentary and obesity being inaccurate. And how the role in exercise in weight loss is minimal, and could be counter productive. (He does agree with exercise for health reasons).

But I was a low-carb believer before Taubes came along.

I have been on weight watchers for about 8 weeks now and am close to my goal weight. Two weeks ago I picked up Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat. Now that I have read it, I am really torn and unsure how to proceed.

I have been relatively happy counting my points and exercising and losing weight. According to Gary's book, the underlying weight loss should be attributed to a reduction in carbs (which I have reduced, but certainly come nowhere near eliminating!)

So do I just focus on low carb and bag everything else? Since I am within a pound or two of my goal and headed to maintenance, what does low carb maintenance look like?

I finally lose weight, and now when someone asks me how, I can't even give them a good answer! I though it was "eat-less, exercise-more," but maybe not....

Please help me sort this out....

Thanks!

As one who has also lost a fair bit of weight and is at the maintaining stage (FTR: lost 45 lbs with the NoS diet: http://www.nosdiet.com ), here are my thoughts. Hopefully they will help you think through things.

1. I personally believe that Taubes overstates his position claiming that "Carbs make us fat." And to be honest, he *sometimes* does hint that different people can eat different levels of carbs and still be healthy. So think about how YOU feel given the food choices you have been making.

2. Unlike others who find Taubes a breath of fresh air (and I do not discount their opinions or experiences at all because they probably belong to the subset of people who do experience problems with carbs), I haven't found that eating carbs, even white bread or pasta or potatoes (in moderation) much less wholegrains, make me gain weight, crave more and more, or wreak havoc with my cholesterol, blood sugar levels, or anything even close.... In fact, the opposite occurred.. One furlough we stayed with a dear lady who was following Atkins and so obviously we did to as we were sharing our meals together. Plenty of meat, seafood, veggies, and salads and nary a slice of sourdough bread. That furlough was the only time where my blood work came back flagged for cholesterol.

3. I do think Taubes (and virtually every nutritionist that I would trust) is right in claiming that a calorie is not just a calorie. Thus, a 100 calorie poptart is not equally as healthy as 100 calorie homemade smoothie or muffin or any other non-processed food. Perhaps in terms of pure energy, but not in terms of wholistic health.

4. If you have been following the new WW plan, you should be getting a very good idea of what a balanced, healthy diet looks like--the new point system was changed to reflect the idea that all calories are not equal.

5. For long term maintenance, the best thing you can do is learn to "make healthy eating and moving" second nature. I personally have found the following ideas extremely helpful in (almost) effortless maintenance of my loss:

A. The principles of the NoS diet: No snacks, no seconds, no sweets except on special days. See the website (linked above) for more information. By following these habits and getting them pretty much down pat, my habits now keep me at a healthy weight!

B. Eyeballing portion control: for main meals, keep 1/2 the plate to salad, veggies, and fruit; 1/4 to grain, starch, or bread; 1/4 protein source. For mixed main dishes (casseroles, chili, etc), 1/3-1/2 of the plate can go to the main dish (size depends on the amount of veggies in the main dish).

C. Principles outlined in the Sonoma diet which suggests portion control (slightly different percentages than above), savoring your food and eating slowly (my eating speed increased with every child and I went from generally being last to finish to being first--by a long shot. This tip has been a big help to really feel satisfied with my meals), and taking the time to prepare good food, real food.

D. Incorporating Daily Movement into life. I bought myself a pedometer and love it. I started out 2 years ago with a baseline average under 3000 steps a day. Now I regularly hit 10000 steps daily except for Sundays! I'm fascinated by studies documenting the ill-effects of the lack of movement in our lives. One such study: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17sitting-t.html?_r=3

E. I am assuming that by following WW, you've gotten a good sense of what healthy eating looks like. If that is not the case, or you would like to know more, I highly suggest reading through the archives (or buy the book, but the website is free) at http://nutritionovereasy.com. This site is maintained by a registered dietician that regularly reviews scientific studies and clarifies what it means in laymen terms. She's even reviewed Taubes' work (bottom line: agrees that processed carbs are terrible, people are individuals, grains (not "no carbs")are not necessary for good health, but many people can enjoy them as part of a healthful diet).

Sorry for the long post--but hopefully you will feel more empowered to make the best decision for you! And congrats on losing the weight! :)

HTH,

. And how the role in exercise in weight loss is minimal, and could be counter productive. (He does agree with exercise for health reasons).

But I was a low-carb believer before Taubes came along.

I agree with this!! Right now my dh is low carbing along with me. He is in the On Going Weight loss while I am on maintence (going on 2 years). Well I do agree that exercise is counter productive because my dh is exercising by weight lifting and sstill not loosing weight. He is not sure what is happening but when he doesn't exercise he loses weight however he feels bad due to not exercising.

Curious as to what your thoughts are on this issue with dh.

Holly

Well I do agree that exercise is counter productive because my dh is exercising by weight lifting and sstill not loosing weight. He is not sure what is happening but when he doesn't exercise he loses weight however he feels bad due to not exercising.

Curious as to what your thoughts are on this issue with dh.

I've just been reading Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I like his ideas on exercise- he thinks that modern exercise programs, like modern diets, are counter-productive.

I have no clue what maintenance will look like for me either.

I lost 65ish lbs in 2007, kept it mostly off for the last few years but have gained about 15 back over the last year (enough so I had to go up a pants size!). The 65 original lbs were lost with the old calorie-counting WW.

Now I'm back on WW and the whole carb thing was really hard for me to adjust to. I fought it mentally but finally just surrendered to the plan, and I have to say that the last few weeks have been really good for me. My drug of choice was sugar and I would binge on cookies & crackers & chips. Ugh. Now that I've cut out most of that and turned to fruit for my 'sugar', I notice I don't get highs and the horrible lows from all that sugar.

I really agree, if it's working for you, it's a good plan to stick to. I'm also trying to cut out so much flour/gluten in my diet too, so giving up pasta & cookies/crackers was a natural. To me life-long low carb is obviously smaller portions and eat your protein & veggies first before you turn to the bread & pasta.

Sorry to have made a lot of this about ME, but congrats on arriving at your goal!! I hope maintenance goes well for you :)

Low carb feels awful to me.

It works for many people though- my concern is always whether people can limit a major food group in the long term. I can't. Many can't. For some it seems like a natural way to eat and they feel much better eating that way. For me, not. I dont like eating much meat at all, or soy.

I got to my goal weight last year with WW and am maintaining with the No S Diet which to me is more of a lifestyle than a diet. Its doable for me and it can be combined with any dietary approach- I am mostly vegetarian.

I definitely think it's an individual thing. I know I do better on low carb, but I've just ended my NO carb/candida diet because it was making me sick. I had so much pain in my belly that I could no longer tolerate it!!!

I'm reading about Ayurveda right now. It specifically states that each TYPE of body (there are three) will require a specific diet. I think what works for one won't work for another.

For me, I will be having carbs ONLY for lunch, and meat ONLY for dinner. That is how I plan to eat the rest of my life. I don't want to overdo carbs again, but all the fats on the candida diet kept me from losing too much weight.

I think you need to do what's working for you. WW does have a maintenance plan. I also think that most people who are severely overweight are so because of their high carb AND fat intake.

I'm loving low carb. I don't do no carb and I do eat some grains in small quantities (mostly low carb breads, high fiber stuff). I have eliminated sugar.

BTW, *LOVE* coconut flour!!! I dipped chicken cutlets in egg, then seasoned coconut flour, then egg, then flour. :drool: Haven't tried the almond flour yet.

I did NO carb for about 4.5 months with some cheats. It really made me sick! I need LOW carb!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts...

One other question... what does maintenance realistically look like? I know I won't weigh the exact same each week, but when does it become a concern? At 1 pound over goal or 2 or what? How much variation do you typically see from week to week?

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts...

One other question... what does maintenance realistically look like? I know I won't weigh the exact same each week, but when does it become a concern? At 1 pound over goal or 2 or what? How much variation do you typically see from week to week?

I think variations of 3-5 pounds is perfectly normal and no cause for concern. You will weigh more in the evenings, more after a larger than normal meal, more after a meal high in sodium (Chinese food?), more at some point in your cycle, more for a number of reasons, none of which accurately reflect real weight gain.

But note the word "variation". One week you may weigh 100, then next 102, the next 103, the next 101. If you are willing, I would suggest only weighing once a month (that is what I do) because you see less of the variation.... If you go up three pounds and stay there (for a month or two or three)--is that acceptable to you? It could be because of increased muscle tone and so a good thing.... But if it is not acceptable, then you know that your maintenance eating is just a tad too high and can adjust from there....

HTH,

HTH,

I just started reading his book after seeing his NY Times article about the toxicity of sugar. I've been a fan of Dr. Robert Lustig's

video for a while. I'm absolutely convinced of what he says about fructose and what it does in the body. Dr. Lustig is a respected pediatric researcher and he isn't selling anything.

Gary Taubes is a also a respected science journalist and I believe one of the possibilities he considers is that we'd be able to tolerate more carbs if we didn't have large quantities of sugar in our diet. All of the sugar we eat today has messed up our insulin sensitivity and fat storage hormones to the point where all carbs become a problem.

I have to admit that Taubes and Lustig makes sense to me because it fits with what I've seen around me - fat people aren't lazy, and don't really eat more than I do (I'm average-lean).

I was a big believer in calories in-calories-out but I'm starting to be convinced of the science behind Taubes ideas. I am certainly convinced of the dangers of sugar (which unfortunately he doesn't go as much into in his books but does in the NY Times piece).