Menu

Homeschool planner for Mac in the works

Would you buy a Mac homeschool planning software?  

1. 1. Would you buy a Mac homeschool planning software?

• Yes! I am a Mac user and I would love to have a Mac hs planning app.
    • No. I am a Mac user but I wouldn't switch from my current software.
    • No. I am a Windows user.

I have a Mac, but strongly doubt I would switch from what I currently use. However, I can share what I like about.

- printed daily or weekly assignment sheets

- easily reschedule assignments that need to be moved

- reports! - grades, topics covered, and more

Good luck with this! I know there's a real need for it.

I have a Mac, but strongly doubt I would switch from what I currently use. However, I can share what I like about.

- printed daily or weekly assignment sheets

- easily reschedule assignments that need to be moved

- reports! - grades, topics covered, and more

Good luck with this! I know there's a real need for it.

What is it that you currently use?

Guest jenncook2

I would dearly love a mac planner as our entire family is now mac. I have been on them for over 20 years and was happy to hear that software development was being done for this area. My son is excited as he just inherited my old Macbook Pro for some of his schoolwork. A friend told me about this forum and we are 100% behind you on this. Please keep us updated on it and expected release dates. I ditto what most are saying...apps for iPad, overview of the week, printable version yet online tracking, also. Login would be nice, too. Thanks!

We just recently got an iPad, and are just starting our homeschool journey ;)

If you end up having a need for more beta testers, please add me to the list!

I agree with previously mentioned features; unfortunately, I don't have enough experience to know what else I am going to end up needing/wanting.

Best of luck to you as you launch something that there is a true need for!

I am a Mac user from way back (1989) and it is with great joy that I see a new generation of software programmers taking an interest all things Mac.

I currently use Mac OS 10.5.8 on my laptop, but plan to update soon. The family iMac runs Mac OS 10.7. I would be very keen to trial your software.

We live in Australia and school from Jan to Dec. For this past year I have been using Planbook to create schedules and keep records. Whilst I find it OK, it is not perfect and lacks many of the features on your list specific for homeschoolers.

What I do like about Planbook is its ability to tag lessons with multiple tags. This feature allows me to track skills (such as writing) taught across the curriculum. It even allows me to break these skills down further (such as copywork, dictation, narration, etc) to track the progess made in each of these very specific areas. At the same time I can tag lessons with the appropriate 'Key Learning Area'. I can then group lessons from different courses together and print out a tag report for presentation to our Board of Studies to show how we are meeting their requirements in each of these 'Key Learning Areas'.

I also enjoy the ability to bump lessons, when things don't go exactly as they had been planned.

Best wishes, Angela :)

Guest prayingmother

I've checked in on this thread periodically. I can't wait until you're finished. I was wondering if you have a projected time of completion for your Mac planner. Any ideas yet?

Thanks,

Rhonda

I downloaded the trial but I can't tell how to make it for each child separately.

Dawn

:iagree: I'm frightfully close to paying for PlanBook. I'm late with planning as it is, but dh and the kids are in Florida for one more day...so I'll use the rest of the week to plan, and then start next week.

...ish.

:D

I downloaded the trial but I can't tell how to make it for each child separately.

Dawn

Instead of making the schedule by subject, each student will have their own file.

IOW, a teacher would make their plan for the year by subjects. When I downloaded the trial, I just made three different files, and set up subjects for each kid that way.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well enough; did what I wrote make sense?

I will play with it tomorrow and see.

Dawn

Instead of making the schedule by subject, each student will have their own file.

IOW, a teacher would make their plan for the year by subjects. When I downloaded the trial, I just made three different files, and set up subjects for each kid that way.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well enough; did what I wrote make sense?

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the lack of updates, we are working hard to get OLLY ready – not just the application but the distribution, licensing, and support features. We are not ready to set any official dates for the final release but the beta should hopefully be ready in a couple weeks.

We are still accepting people for the beta program, go onto our website and sign up for the newsletter to get access when the beta is released. We will be closing it after a certain number of people have registered so that we can handle all of the bug reports and feedback so be sure to sign up soon.

I've been following this thread since I first posted (post#15). I don't do Twitter but was wonder if you had updates on Facebook

I'd love to be a Beta tester as well... anxiously looking forward to the final product.

We do now have a facebook page! You can get to it here.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Wizecoder

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I have some really big news about the last two months. As most of you may know the OLLY beta was first released about a month ago. During this last month we have been avoiding raising too much more hype so that we could keep up with the feedback and make sure everything was working fairly well. But now we finally have a system in place and we are ready to face the tide of incoming beta testers.

If you go to our website at http://www.riversandyears.com/olly/ you can sign up for the newsletter and receive a download link to get started immediately.

We also have a new forum for posting suggestions, problems, or other questions.

This is a very exciting time for us and I am so grateful to everyone who has participated in this beta. Thank you.