Menu

If we loved The King's Speech & Masterpiece Classics

Enthusiastically seconding both "The Painted Veil" and "Twelfth Night". The first isn't kid-friendly, but the second is.

"Lady Jane" is really good, though sad. Not kid-friendly.

If you want more about British royalty, try "Becket" or "A Man for All Seasons." Older, but astonishingly well-written and well-acted. "Becket" isn't entirely kid-friendly, but "A Man for All Seasons" should be fine.

The new version of "Hamlet" with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart is really, really good. Ophelia's scene makes it slight child-unfriendly.

Have you seen the new "Sherlock" from the BBC? My husband and I really enjoyed that one. I can't recall anything child unfriendly, but it is suspenseful.

You might enjoy "Wives and Daughters" and "North and South" if you haven't seen them.

Also, try "The Scarlet Pimpernel", the old one with Anthony Andrews and Ian McKellan. Moving in parts, hilarious in others . . . Sir Percy rocks. I'd say it's friendly for older children (no nudity, but one scene where premarital sex is implied). Lots of swashbuckling and witty repartee.

Cranford

Return to Cranford

Young Victoria

Lost in Austen

Downton Abbey (not for children)

Wives & Daughters

North & South

Middlemarch (was ok)

The Duchess (Keira Knightly, Ralph Fiennes--not for kids, was ok)

The Pillars of the Earth--not for kids

Brother Cadfael series (some of my favorite tv)

Bleak House

Mansfield Park

Nanny McPhee

1900 House

Mayor of Casterbridge

Mrs. Brown

The Queen

Thanks guys! We've seen several of these but not all! We love Downton Abbey & the BBC productions! Thanks for the recommendations! These will keep us busy for awhile. :D

Did anyone see the Kennedys mini series on the Reelz channel recently?