Menu

Finishing up a pair of pants I cut out for myself about a month ago. I got interrupted by needing to sew up a Mrs. Peacock dress for dd's production of Clue (used Simplicity 2253 Jessica McClintock -- went together so easily! and looked so classy) then her Easter dress (Simplicity 2250 Cynthia Rowley -- boo hiss on this pattern). Pictures of the dresses on my blog, which is linked in my signature.

And just finished rat hammocks and a new cube for our pet rats. There are pictures of those on my camera, but younger dd seems to have misplaced said camera, sigh.

We have house guests this weekend, then I'm planning a sewing extravaganza -- I also have a Burda Style dress cut out ready to sew up for me, and some really nice fabric for a skirt.

My older dd wants to do a half credit of sewing-type Home Ec. I think we might do it this summer. She can do simple things, but this will get her to push her skills. The only problem is that she'll be in my way when I want to sew!

I whipped up some shorts for my dd yesterday when I realized she had nothing appropriate for the gym. I'm also working on an over-sized purse, but I am still trying decide on what style handles to do.

Dd is working on designing a penguin pillow. It is adorable. I am hoping to set her up today on the machine to finish it off.

I always enjoy reading about everyone's sewing projects!

I am making the summer blouse from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing book. Here is a photo of it from someone's blog:

6a00e54fad366988330115707f7298970b-500wi

I like the contrast on the placket and bias tape neckline finish.

I am also making a basic sort of peasant shirt from a voile.

Last week I stitched up some new pj pants for my college son. This after helping 4-Hers stitch pj pants in a sewing workshop. For the kids I chose Simplicity's Learn to Sew pattern 2290. This is a great beginner pattern which includes lots of extra stuff that most pattern instructions assume one already knows. When JoAnn's had a dollar Simplicity sale, I picked up several copies of the pattern for my beginning sewers.

Happy stitching,

Jane

I need to get my machine fired up if I want to have the matching sundresses for my two DD's done before we leave to go visit relatives on the 24th. DD would also be over the moon if I made a matching dress for her American Girl doll but we'll have to see if I have time for that.

The dilemma I'm having is figuring out which patterns to use. The toddler styles are so different from the 'tween styles. I'm probably overthinking it since they will be made out of the same fabric. :lol:

No sewing yet ,but my sewing room is being cleaned out this week, so I'm looking forward to getting to soon!

My oldest daughter has been storing her stuff in there , between moves.

I have a quilt to finish & curtains to make.

one reason I haven't sewn much lately is that my sewing laundry room has half the drywall ripped out. Meaning all my stash is scattered and piled.

I find no pleasure in sewing in a room that is a wreck.

I have been a sewing machine...I wanted to make things for my children to wear at Disney next week. I just finished up a cute Tiana shirt and pants, a Tiana dress, a Rapunzel dress (basically the shirred fabric with ribbon for sleeves, and a 2 pairs of Mickey Mouse shorts.

Next up is 4 appliqued Mickeys on white shirts for our family to wear for our big picture in front of the castle. Plus I still have Buzz fabric to make my son something cute, not sure what yet. I have 4 more days so I will be busy.

finished easter dresses at 10:30 the night before easter!

whew!

and I have my dd a skirt cut out, but still haven't sewn yet. maybe I'll do that this afternoon.

You are soooo good!

This was the first year my kids wore store-bought dresses for Easter. I was bummed. Perhaps that's why I'm inspired this week.

I whipped up some shorts for my dd yesterday when I realized she had nothing appropriate for the gym. I'm also working on an over-sized purse, but I am still trying decide on what style handles to do.

Dd is working on designing a penguin pillow. It is adorable. I am hoping to set her up today on the machine to finish it off.

Yes, this. The pair she had on yesterday only fit part of her. :D

I always enjoy reading about everyone's sewing projects!

I am making the summer blouse from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing book. Here is a photo of it from someone's blog:

6a00e54fad366988330115707f7298970b-500wi

I like the contrast on the placket and bias tape neckline finish.

I am also making a basic sort of peasant shirt from a voile.

Last week I stitched up some new pj pants for my college son. This after helping 4-Hers stitch pj pants in a sewing workshop. For the kids I chose Simplicity's Learn to Sew pattern 2290. This is a great beginner pattern which includes lots of extra stuff that most pattern instructions assume one already knows. When JoAnn's had a dollar Simplicity sale, I picked up several copies of the pattern for my beginning sewers.

Happy stitching,

Jane

very lovely shirt!

Any tips for measuring for an elastic waist band? I always measure, fit it around their waist to see (pulling it a big taut), and then when I set it in it's still too big.

I measure the waist and then subtract 2". Dd likes it loose, so I take only 1-1.5 inches off. This seems to be the magic number for my elastic measurings.

I don't have a sewing room. So, I currently have a 6 foot table in the middle of my living room with my sewing machine on it. It's not convenient, but it works. My dh is deployed right now, so the only person it bothers is me. HA! I sewed an Amy Butler Birdie Sling a couple of weeks ago. I've been working on Wonder Wallets and Grocery Bags. I'm hoping to sew another Birdie Sling this weekend to give to my mother when she gets here on the 19th. I've also got the fabric for an Amy Butler Frenchy Bag. Oh, I do have a skirt for my middle dd cut out as well. That doesn't seem nearly as fun to sew as bags right now though. HA! I go through spells where I'll sew like crazy for a month or two, then I won't touch my machine again for a year or two. So, when I get the sewing bug, I try to take full advantage of it. lol

I am working on a bunch of hooded towels with names embroidered across the hood. I have 7 to finish up this week, then my sewing machine is getting packed up so we can prepare for our move to Texas next month!

I'm suposed to be working on some jammies for my neice's birthday - no $$ and I already have material and pattern.

Just made some for my kids's easter baskets and they liked them so much it inspred me to make them for my neice :001_smile:.

I should probably make the kids all shorts for the summer - have to inventory and see what they all actually have and will wear.

I made a polar fleece robe for ds at his request. I used the leftover fleece to make Swiffer reusable dusters, following this pattern. Now I want to make one out of flannel.

I have a long sleeved shirt of dh's that he wants me to cut and turn it into short sleeves.

I also recently bough[/url]t this book on making patterns, and would like to get started on it. I'm so used to making things for other people, and now I think it's time to make something for me. :)

edited to fix the link to the book

Edited by floridamom

I don't have a sewing room. So, I currently have a 6 foot table in the middle of my living room with my sewing machine on it. It's not convenient, but it works. My dh is deployed right now, so the only person it bothers is me. HA! I sewed an Amy Butler Birdie Sling a couple of weeks ago. I've been working on Wonder Wallets and Grocery Bags. I'm hoping to sew another Birdie Sling this weekend to give to my mother when she gets here on the 19th. I've also got the fabric for an Amy Butler Frenchy Bag. Oh, I do have a skirt for my middle dd cut out as well. That doesn't seem nearly as fun to sew as bags right now though. HA! I go through spells where I'll sew like crazy for a month or two, then I won't touch my machine again for a year or two. So, when I get the sewing bug, I try to take full advantage of it. lol

:D I know this! The last thing I sewed was an apron in 2009. Today a skirt and two pairs of shorts.

Yup, living history season is just beginning so I've got a boy's linen suit and a boy's wool jacket in progress. I was actually really grateful for the dyeing thread because I need to dye some linen tape for binding this weekend. I've never dyed anything before, so here's hoping it turns out well with the procion dyes!

I'd also like to get 3 spring skirts done before the weather decides to get and stay nice :).