Menu

Is MEP as good as SM?

mystika1

Hi,

I am trying to decide how to handle my dd's need for a more spiral math program. Today I took a look at MEP. It seems to me that it is similar to SM but instead of doing one topic at a time it appears to have more variety. My dd likes variety. What are your thoughts?

Penny

Yes, the topics are mixed together, even while there is some main progression. For example, after addition and subtraction are learned, they are incorporated into measurements.

From their website --

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

Mapping MEP Primary onto current National Numeracy Strategy Strands

Mapping National Numeracy Strategy Strands onto current MEP Primary

We have used a MEP/ all of Singapore (texts, workbooks, IP, EP, and CWP)/Miquon combo for the past two years; next year it is just MEP/Miquon/ and Singapore's CWP. I think that MEP has enough "meat" so that I don't need to continue adding in so much Singapore. The MEP worksheets do seem to have a little bit more variety than Singapore, and I work better with MEP's teacher's notes. Is MEP better? I'm beginning to think it might be better for me and mine; ask me again after next year. ;)

My dd (5 1/2 year old) and I like math alot (I have a degree in mechanical engineering). We are almost through with year 1 of MEP, and were never bored. We have looked at and and tried sample pages of Singapore, but so far have thought that MEP was a better fir for us personally. We complete all the Lessons Plans as they prescribe (the worksheets are great, but so are the additional activities, don't skip these, they are some of the best parts IMO). My daughter loves the variety, and the pretend shopping and so on... We are not opposed to spending money on a product if we think it is worth it, however, so far, MEP is offering us more.

DD is stronger in Wiggly Willie, Sociable Sue traits and weaker in Competent Carl, and Perfect Paula traits, so far...

I think both programs are good, but in a different way from each other. My DS did MEP Reception and most of 1A this year before showing major interest in his big sister's Singapore book. So I picked up a copy of just the 1A and 1B textbooks. He's flying through 1A. I think we'll do some more MEP after he finishes Singapore 1A.

I've used Right Start and Singapore with my eldest and started out with Miquon and MEP with my youngest. We dropped Miquon about halfway through MEP Y1, and are continuing with MEP only. With the addition of the CWP BOOKS it's everything I want in a K6 math program, and it is fun to teach.

I think MEP's Year 1 semester A is extremely good. I switched to MEP and started at the beginning and I'm glad I did. I felt Y1 semester B was not quite as good (very repetitive), but I definitely felt it provided a really solid understanding of arithmetic for numbers < 10. It is incredibly clever.

I recently bought a Singapore intensive practice book and was surprised at how similar many of the problems are to MEP.

I recently bought a Singapore intensive practice book and was surprised at how similar many of the problems are to MEP.
:iagree:

The big difference is that IP is designed to be done post-mastery, giving the brightest kids a chance to stretch. I find the core Singapore materials to be solid conceptually, but in a clearly defined and fully-laid-out this-is-how-it's-done way. Little is required in the way of imagination or creativity in the core program. MEP is far from a free-for-all, but the student is occasionally expected to at least attempt to think their way through some problems they haven't yet explicitly been given a method of solving. It's exciting when this happens.

I have been trying to decide between Singapore kindergarten essentials, MEP or MM. This thread is pretty helpful but I am still sort of where I started, which is thinking they are cheap enough to just buy singapore and mm and look all 3 over and then decide. I have read a few posts that say they all work well with each other so I am having a hard to deciding.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. I have a question about switching from SM to MEP. Where would you place a kid who finished SM 2B in MEP? Also, where would you place a kid who finished SM 4B and BA (whatever already came out) into MEP?

I am seriously considering giving up SM for MEP and keeping only CWPs. I can't figure out how to transition. I don't mind going back and redoing sections if I knew what to redo.

I have done both with dd7. I love MEP and the questions they ask- the depth they provide. Dd, however, loves the mastery approach. She has a hard time keeping interested with spiral approaches. I plan to get back to MEP when we finish 2A and 2B. We just started 2A and she is flying through it- I think thanks to MEP!

Too many great Math programs :nopity: ... can I make my kids do 4? :svengo: I loved MEP Reception, and DD has done bits of MEP years 2&3 which were excellent. I can't decide if I like MEP, Miquon, Singapore or Beast Academy best. So I have to pick a spine and glean gems from the others.

I have done both with dd7. I love MEP and the questions they ask- the depth they provide. Dd, however, loves the mastery approach. She has a hard time keeping interested with spiral approaches. I plan to get back to MEP when we finish 2A and 2B. We just started 2A and she is flying through it- I think thanks to MEP!

So after finishing SM 2B, do you plan on going to MEP 3A? or do you plan on placing into 2B again (just in case something has been missed)?

I guess I am trying to figure out how closely those levels correlate.

Reviving an old thread. I have a question about switching from SM to MEP. Where would you place a kid who finished SM 2B in MEP? Also, where would you place a kid who finished SM 4B and BA (whatever already came out) into MEP?

I am seriously considering giving up SM for MEP and keeping only CWPs. I can't figure out how to transition. I don't mind going back and redoing sections if I knew what to redo.

I am curious why you are interested in switching. My son is in the middle of SM1B (he finished Japanese Math 1A and B and we are also supplementing with Miquon), so I try to look ahead to see why others liked or didn't like a program.

So after finishing SM 2B, do you plan on going to MEP 3A? or do you plan on placing into 2B again (just in case something has been missed)?

SOrry I can't answer your question, but have you looked at MEP's scope and sequence? It might help answer your question. The topics bounce all over the place week to week, so you might want to go through Year 2 and pick and choose a few of the topics you need to cover and then move into Year 3 (or whatever level is new stuff.)

I plan to look through year 2 and hit anything that I feel she needs more work with. I specifically like the challenging questions in MEP. I might use some of those in year 2. At that point, I will move to SM 3A. I would like to go back and forth between the different approaches . . . but the best laid plans, you know??

I think MEP and SM can work together. They seem to correlate well, but the approach is different.

I plan to look through year 2 and hit anything that I feel she needs more work with. I specifically like the challenging questions in MEP. I might use some of those in year 2. At that point, I will move to SM 3A. I would like to go back and forth between the different approaches . . . but the best laid plans, you know??

I think MEP and SM can work together. They seem to correlate well, but the approach is different.

Where are the CWP in MEP? Are they broken out, or would I have to search each lesson plan for them? I plan to use SM CWP for my DD to supplement Rod & Staff, but if I could get the same type of problems from MEP, I will happily do that! Thank you in advance!

I am curious why you are interested in switching. My son is in the middle of SM1B (he finished Japanese Math 1A and B and we are also supplementing with Miquon), so I try to look ahead to see why others liked or didn't like a program.

SM is a fantastic program. I couldn't say enough of good things about it. Frankly I really would like my kids to get an exposure to a different approach. They are both couple years ahead in math and I am in no hurry. I have time to kill until 5th grade when we attempt pre-algebra. I feel like my kids "cracked SM code", SM way of asking questions. I am attempting to jazz it up a bit. I love challenging problems I see in MEP. I have been reading through some activities and they are impressive, very thoughtful. For us BA will be a primary program and we will keep the best aspect of SM - CWP. I even have IPs laying around, so I can do challenging problems if I have time. Short answer - I am not switching because I think MEP is superior. They are different, but appar equally strong.

SM is a fantastic program. I couldn't say enough of good things about it. Frankly I really would like my kids to get an exposure to a different approach. They are both couple years ahead in math and I am in no hurry. I have time to kill until 5th grade when we attempt pre-algebra. I feel like my kids "cracked SM code", SM way of asking questions. I am attempting to jazz it up a bit. I love challenging problems I see in MEP. I have been reading through some activities and they are impressive, very thoughtful. For us BA will be a primary program and we will keep the best aspect of SM - CWP. I even have IPs laying around, so I can do challenging problems if I have time. Short answer - I am not switching because I think MEP is superior. They are different, but appar equally strong.

I'd go from Singapore 3A to MEP 3A. Most children are expected to have their multiplication facts mastered by then end of MEP 2B. IIRC, Singapore doesn't finish introducing the facts until 3A.

Where are the CWP in MEP? Are they broken out, or would I have to search each lesson plan for them? I plan to use SM CWP for my DD to supplement Rod & Staff, but if I could get the same type of problems from MEP, I will happily do that! Thank you in advance!

There are some word problems in the student books (the practice books), but most of the word problems (and the step by step solutions that you are to talk through with the student) are in the Teacher's Notes--not in a seperate part like the CWP books.

I'd go from Singapore 3A to MEP 3A. Most children are expected to have their multiplication facts mastered by then end of MEP 2B. IIRC, Singapore doesn't finish introducing the facts until 3A.

He knows the entire multiplication table. Should we still do SM 3A before MEP 3A?

Zoo Keeper. Thanks for the link to "fact to know.' Very helpful!

He knows the entire multiplication table. Should we still do SM 3A before MEP 3A?

No. There will be enough review in MEP Y3a to get a feel for how MEP works. Heads up: there are no pencil and paper algorithms introduced until Y3b, at which point the mental math is continued with estimating. There will be some concepts introduced that he's already familiar with, but MEP sneaks in new nuggets here and there, so careful what you skip. :)

No. There will be enough review in MEP Y3a to get a feel for how MEP works. Heads up: there are no pencil and paper algorithms introduced until Y3b, at which point the mental math is continued with estimating. There will be some concepts introduced that he's already familiar with, but MEP sneaks in new nuggets here and there, so careful what you skip. :)

I see that! I just discovered factoring in MEP2 so now I am pouring through every page of year 2.

Also, where would you place a kid who finished SM 4B and BA (whatever already came out) into MEP?

Sweetie is more than halfway done with MEP Year 4, and looking at the Singapore placement tests I would probably look at MEP Year 5 first, to see if it's a good fit. There are some things that are introduced at different times in MEP... they do tend to go slowly in some areas and quite quickly in others, so it won't be a perfect transition. But maybe a good one given what you're looking for. But I don't think you'll need to look back into MEP4.

(Sweetie strongly disliked BA, so I can't comment on that part of it)

Good luck!

There are some word problems in the student books (the practice books), but most of the word problems (and the step by step solutions that you are to talk through with the student) are in the Teacher's Notes--not in a seperate part like the CWP books.

Thank you for letting m know. I may just stick with Singapore so I don't have to dig though MEP. Thanks again!

Sorry to see this so late ... the questions are within the lessons themselves. I find that some of them are quite challenging, but they don't call it that.