Menu

S/O Can someone please explain this point of view to me?

As an expat American I'm finding it hard to understand how the events of the past few days are making Americans at "home" feel safer. Yesterday morning I recieved an email from the US Consulate here in NZ, saying...

The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad to the enhanced potential for anti-American violence following recent counter-terrorism activity in Pakistan. Given the uncertainty and volatility of the current situation, U.S. citizens in areas where recent events could cause anti-American violence are strongly urged to limit their travel outside of their homes and hotels and avoid mass gatherings and demonstrations. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times. This Travel Alert expires August 1, 2011

So for the next 3 months the US gov't feels that Americans overseas could be in more danger, not less. The navy seals have taken out the head of one of the terrorists groups that are fighting a war with America, but the war is no where near finished IMHO.

I have been blessed to have lived for the past couple of decades in areas that were sheltered in many ways from the War on Terror. I have watched with horror the events of 9/11 & before that, the Gulf War. I have lived in areas where I was a minority, where security bars on all our windows at home were a necessity, where it was not safe to voice personal opinions of gov't decisions, but I have never lived in fear.

The past few months have seen people dealing with natural disasters on an unimaginable scale. We are witnessing enormous unrest in North Africa & the Middle East that scares me more than even 9/11 for some reason. So how does the killing of one man give America security?

*** Serious replies please, I'm not looking to start a cyberwar :tongue_smilie:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't feel safer; in fact, I feel we are in for dangerous times ahead. There will be retaliation, I have no doubt about that. Getting bin Laden was about justice, not the end of terrorism.

I don't feel safer. In fact you've hit on the thing that makes me simply say this is a turning of the page, not the end of the story. This doesn't change any of the security measures our country has had to put in place since 9/11. It will still be a pain to get on any airplane. We will still have to be vigilant as a country to ensure some other du*#!@&*$*$ terrorist group doesn't wreak havoc.

The terrorists have forever changed the ways of security in this country. Is it a major inconvenience to fly with a tiny ziploc bag and wearing slip on shoes, not really. I haven't flown since the new security measures, so I can't attest to how much I find them a pain. But the fact these type of things have had to become commonplace kind of irks me. I'm tired and not feeling eloquent, but that kind of sums it up.

I don't feel safer, on the other hand I don't really think about it much. Statistically speaking some other horrible thing is more likely to happen to me than being attacked by a terrorist. Not to make light of it, but I go on with my life and I don't dwell on it.

All the hoopla is media cra*. I didn't see anyone outside my window dancing in the street. Nobody mentioned it to me while out and about today.

:iagree: with the bolded. It isn't that I don't feel safer, I just didn't feel unsafe in the first place.

OK, I'll be the contrarian and say I do think we will be safer. I believe the tide had already begun to turn in the Arab and Muslim worlds as far as bin Laden and al Qaeda are concerned.

His organization, after all, killed a great many Muslims as well as innocent non-Muslims; people of good will (as most Muslims are) understand he was an evil force. So the gloss was already off his movement.

As among most peoples, the sentiment in the "Arab Street" sometimes turns to "Men on White Horses" when times are dire, people are feeling frustrated, humiliated, and disempowered. Bin Laden tapped into the feeling of discontent. But the reality of his "alternative" has set in. And the "Man on the White Horse" is gone, with no one of his "stature" to replace him.

And the world, and especially the Arab world are moving in another direction. The "Arab Spring" offers hope for greater freedom and democracy to young people (all people actually) in the region. And this had nothing to do with al Qaeda.

Bin Laden did not die a "martyr's death." I pray (secularly) that our government does not release photos of the dead man. There is no need to create an "Iconic" image, better to consign his memory to the deep.

There may be attempts at retribution, we will see. But I think this is one more nail in the coffin of a dying movement.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I don't feel safer, but I didn't feel particularly unsafe before, and I don't feel unsafe now. I don't know, terrorism just isn't on my radar as a threat to give much thought to, on a personal level. I can't imagine the city where I live would be a target.

I wasn't going to play this game, but I did read a book written by OBL's son and first wife a few months ago and I will say that I have some compassion in the most vague way for the man. This is a man who saw his father alone ONE time in his life when he was nine and he had to make an appointment to do it. His mother was preoccupied with a new husband and family and he was at the mercy of a very scary educator. He was never happy in his childhood and he denied his own children good educations, toys and even air conditioning in the desert heat. He was never happy in life, he found a way to get some power and find meaning in life.

Most of the men who followed him were not educated at all, and they were unwelcome in their own countries after fighting in Afganistan. I doubt that many Al Queda are equipped to pull off something like 9/11. Yes, they will try in the coming months, but I am hopeful that they will not be succesful because of lack of education, logic skills and funding.

There may be attempts at retribution, we will see. But I think this is one more nail in the coffin of a dying movement.

Bill

Interesting you mention this, Bill.

Hubs and I were discussing the political "pundit" roundtable on Obama's larger objective with killing Bin Laden. Would give him more reason to have our forces to pull out of Afghanistan, for sure. And to send a clear message to Quaddafi as well. I do think it was meant to send a strong message. And I think franchise and newer groups that sprout off Al-Quada's withering will grow stronger as a jihadist movement. Which is why the US gave that warning.

My only personal grumbling in the matter is why did it take 10 years to find and kill Bin Laden? So many lives were killed as a result of that madman. I'm not an Obama fan by any means... but I am thrilled he gave the "thumbs up" for the final military order to the special forces. :patriot:

So how does the killing of one man give America security?

It doesn't. No matter what the media is telling you, I personally don't know one single solitary soul who thinks it does. Most of us are pretty sure this is fuel to the fire.

I wasn't going to play this game, but I did read a book written by OBL's son and first wife a few months ago and I will say that I have some compassion in the most vague way for the man. This is a man who saw his father alone ONE time in his life when he was nine and he had to make an appointment to do it. His mother was preoccupied with a new husband and family and he was at the mercy of a very scary educator. He was never happy in his childhood and he denied his own children good educations, toys and even air conditioning in the desert heat. He was never happy in life, he found a way to get some power and find meaning in life.

Most of the men who followed him were not educated at all, and they were unwelcome in their own countries after fighting in Afganistan. I doubt that many Al Queda are equipped to pull off something like 9/11. Yes, they will try in the coming months, but I am hopeful that they will not be succesful because of lack of education, logic skills and funding.

Well, :glare: Cry me a river! (That is directed in general toward him not the person I quoted.) Some of us have had hard lives, but choose to, oh, I don't know, learn a social services skill or two and answer hotlines for other people who are having/have had hard lives.

I never considered creating a deadly regime and ordering the deaths of thousands, but we each interpret our pain in our own way, no? :001_huh:

As an expat American I'm finding it hard to understand how the events of the past few days are making Americans at "home" feel safer.

I never felt like the death of Bin Laden would magically makes us safer overnight, nor has any politician said this to my knowledge. President Obama in his speech spoke about us having much more work to secure our country and there may be retaliation. Unfortunately, it needed to be done. Badly. Hopefully, it will pay off in the long run. There are encouraging signs in the middle east.

Edited by kck

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't feel safer; in fact, I feel we are in for dangerous times ahead. There will be retaliation, I have no doubt about that. Getting bin Laden was about justice, not the end of terrorism.

:iagree:

eta: I don't live in fear.

Edited by MSPolly