Menu

Need more cursive options

mo2

What does he mean by traditional? Does he like the flourishes of the old fashioned script, or just a basic lettering? I couldn't find one I liked for my ds and ended up writing my own program. You can check out the styles on the website in my signature.

We're using Cheerful Cursive. I like that it covers reading cursive as well as writing it. It was a pricier workbook ($16), but it can be photocopied for use within a family...wish I'd realized that before DD started it! :tongue_smilie:

We're using Spencerian. It's not simple to teach, or to learn, and takes a lot of practice, but it is beautiful once mastered. It's not free, either, but the 5 copybooks plus the theory book is only about $21 on Amazon, and that's complete. Once my kids graduate from the 5th copybook, they're writing all of their schoolwork in cursive, and they're copying passages from books. (Right now, it's the Psalms, but soon we're going to move to George Washington's Rules of Civility.)

What does he mean by traditional? Does he like the flourishes of the old fashioned script, or just a basic lettering? I couldn't find one I liked for my ds and ended up writing my own program. You can check out the styles on the website in my signature.

Well we both prefer the Q that looks like a number 2. He also mentioned the capital S and G. I don't think it has to be extremly swirly and loopy (like Spencerian, which I would like to learn for myself!).

I actually looked at your book but I couldn't find a sample that showed me the Q, S, and G. Do you have one?

ETA: Is your book secular?

I printed my favorites from this website, where you can buy software to make your own worksheets, and showed them to my husband. Turned out he didn't care a hoot so I went with my choice which was Barchowsky Fluent Hand (not even on the website).

Anyway, maybe it will help you come up with a compromise. HTH

Susan

Here's the deal. If you start with say... HWT you won't have to cry, neither will your child. Then, you help modify it and add "fancy". At least with me, I've found that what's easiest for my child, makes me and therefore my husband happier. It's one of those things that if my husband chose a harder program, he would follow that with choosing to teach it. Just my thought. You can't find an easier program.... (And, I started with Cursive for my son...)

I think you might like "Pentime". It's inexpensive and seems like it might fit what you are looking for. I believe you can find it from Rainbow Resources.

:iagree:This is what I was planning to use if I did traditional cursive (I changed last minute to GDI, and after seeing a high school boy's card to me written in that font, all I can say is WOW... that looks way nicer than most traditional cursive I've seen).

Well we both prefer the Q that looks like a number 2. He also mentioned the capital S and G. I don't think it has to be extremly swirly and loopy (like Spencerian, which I would like to learn for myself!).

I actually looked at your book but I couldn't find a sample that showed me the Q, S, and G. Do you have one?

ETA: Is your book secular?

I sent you a PM about more of this. My programs are not secular, but the handwriting is.