Menu

Saw the dentist today.....after a long time.

Seriously. I think they must have thought I needed a Valium. It had been 5 years, I really thought it had been closer to 3 :tongue_smilie:. I know I need to take better overall care of myself, so dentist and doctor appts were put on my calendar. I want to grow really old someday ;).

I need a crown and they're watching another tooth for a possible crown in the future.

I know I'm not alone in my fear of dentists, but have any of you overcome it? And how? I am still in shock that I KEPT this appt. That is HUGE!

Thank you :)

I have an amazing dentist that goes out of her way to make me comfortable. It still doesn't help. I am very nervous.... every.... single.... time. UGH! Even if it's not me.

Last Tuesday my boys were practicing lacrosse. My 15 yr old caught a stick in the face and broke off over half of one of the teeth just next to the middle teeth. The dentist was able to fit him in on Saturday afternoon (last week was spring break around here - they were fully booked). When I went back with my son, I started to sweat, get shaky, tear up and breathe funny... and it wasn't even me. After they looked at everything and determined treatment (he needed a root canal and crown because the nerve was less than a millimeter from the surface and the tooth sheered in the back), I went to wait in the waiting area. My kid didn't even flinch. The doctor remarked about how calm my son was.

As much as I appreciate how the dental office goes out of their way to make me comfortable, it still doesn't calm me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to relax. I've just learned to live with it.

Best of luck!

Valerie

I have an amazing dentist that goes out of her way to make me comfortable. It still doesn't help. I am very nervous.... every.... single.... time. UGH! Even if it's not me.

Last Tuesday my boys were practicing lacrosse. My 15 yr old caught a stick in the face and broke off over half of one of the teeth just next to the middle teeth. The dentist was able to fit him in on Saturday afternoon (last week was spring break around here - they were fully booked). When I went back with my son, I started to sweat, get shaky, tear up and breathe funny... and it wasn't even me. After they looked at everything and determined treatment (he needed a root canal and crown because the nerve was less than a millimeter from the surface and the tooth sheered in the back), I went to wait in the waiting area. My kid didn't even flinch. The doctor remarked about how calm my son was.

As much as I appreciate how the dental office goes out of their way to make me comfortable, it still doesn't calm me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to relax. I've just learned to live with it.

Best of luck!

Valerie

I broke down yesterday at the dentist and cried so hard when he told me I needed this root canal. He was so helpful, patient, and kind and gave me a ton of numbing over a period of 30 minutes.

I'm not sure if I'll get over my fear of the dentist but I had a good experience yesterday despite the root canal. Communication was good.

Seriously. I think they must have thought I needed a Valium. It had been 5 years, I really thought it had been closer to 3 :tongue_smilie:. I know I need to take better overall care of myself, so dentist and doctor appts were put on my calendar. I want to grow really old someday ;).

I need a crown and they're watching another tooth for a possible crown in the future.

I know I'm not alone in my fear of dentists, but have any of you overcome it? And how? I am still in shock that I KEPT this appt. That is HUGE!

I'm thinking you overcome it with lots of numbing stuff and a patient dentist.

Still working on it myself. I'd rather give birth than even have a cleaning (and I'm NOT exaggerating).

I don't fear going to the dentist but I've had A LOT of expensive work done in the last few years so I dread going and hearing bad news.

I did take a Xanax before my root canal (my first root canal) and I was very relaxed. I highly recommend it.:D The root canal was fine though, no pain at all.

Honestly, I still strongly dislike the dentist but have forced myself to make peace w/ regular visits because lengthy time between visits was not working out for me. :( It is not to my advantage to 'wait & see' on something...'twill always progress into something even more serious (root canal or crown). Teeth don't heal themselves, kwim?

Sigh.

Nope, I have never overcome it and I have (finally) a great dentist. I practically need Valium to take my kids for a cleaning.

I always get Valium when I have to go, I am always the last appointment, I get to watch whatever movie I want to bring and the hygienist holds my hand and I barely get through it.

The last time I went it was to an oral surgeon for a root canal and he used "conscious sedation". I am thrilled I have absolutely NO clue what happened in the office but not really happy about the 2 days I lost somewhere.

Haven't been back since.

I went in recently after about 8 years. Not going all those years was a huge, huge mistake. I'm not even afraid of the dentist. I just didn't want to take the time to go. I'm now facing/have had cleanings that require deadening, multiple fillings, and dental surgery for bone loss. I feel like I am living at that place. They've taken all our FSA money for the year, and we are having to finance more of the work (thankfully interest-free).

I really, really wish I had gone for regular check-ups.

I went to the dentist yesterday, too! The last time I was in for a cleaning was 2007. I have had 3 root canals since then :blushing:.

I've been avoiding the dentist (I've never loved the dentist, but I would go for at least yearly cleanings) because I didn't like the hygienist that did my last cleaning. She was rude and mean, but the worst part was I went in with no pain or trouble, and left in extreme pain and needing a root canal. I think she pulled a loose filling out. We have not very good insurance, and I'm very limited in who I could see.

I've been having some pain on my upper left side, and decided I needed to be a big girl and make an appointment and go. The issue wasn't going to go away on it's own, and it's time I take control of my dental health instead of being afraid of it. I called the dentist's office, and found out the bad hygienist was gone, so I made an appointment there.

The new hygienist was great. When I asked about the other girl, she informed me that she's had several patients tell her bad stories about her being rude and mean (there were actually complaints about her online when I googled for information on the office).

I have some cavities, but all are fillable. I had to schedule 4 appointments, but I'm relieved to finally know what's going on and to feel like I can get a handle on it.

I, too, would rather give birth than see the dentist! :D. I bring my kids & act like it's no big deal :tongue_smilie: they don't have a problem going, which I am so thankful for.

One thing that really pushed me into going, as ridiculous as it sounds, is I was seeing all kinds of toothless people (on tv and in person), dental ads on tv and in the paper, and ads for implants.....etc. I figured it was some kind of 'sign'.

So happy to hear I'm not alone & although I may never get over the fear, I can still survive my visits. Thank you!!! I am not even going to google what goes into putting a crown on.....

I don't love going to the dentist even though mine is great. I do love feeling good about my smile though so after we moved two years here I set up appointments to have my teeth cleaned and my wisdom teeth removed. After that, I lined up my orthodontist appointment and got braces put on. I've maintained my cleaning every 6 months and I'm nearly through with my orthodontic treatment. My mouth is clean and healthy, my teeth are straight, and I want to keep it that way. That's my motivation to go.

I always take an MP3 player with me and crank it up while my dentist pokes around in my mouth. It helps me a lot.

I don't have a fear of dentists but I do hate going. I buy myself a prize after I go. Everyone in my family gets a prize for going to the dentist. It's not a little one either. You get to spend a whole $20! We started this several years ago for the boys because I wanted them to have good experiences (my dh doesn't). Then I thought, well, if they were getting prizes and they don't mind going, I should definitely get a prize. So, I did. One time I bought a cute little candy jar for my kitchen. Another time I got a new purse (from Walmart). It helps.

I don't have a fear of dentists but I do hate going. I buy myself a prize after I go. Everyone in my family gets a prize for going to the dentist. It's not a little one either. You get to spend a whole $20! We started this several years ago for the boys because I wanted them to have good experiences (my dh doesn't). Then I thought, well, if they were getting prizes and they don't mind going, I should definitely get a prize. So, I did. One time I bought a cute little candy jar for my kitchen. Another time I got a new purse (from Walmart). It helps.

This makes me happy!!! :)