Menu

More-with-Less Cookbook

That's hysterical!

This was the cookbook from which I learned that you can make cream of chicken soup (without opening a can.) I had no idea! I find this cookbook immensely useful. The Oven beef Stew on p. 167 is delicious, as well as the Creamed Chicken on p. 186 (for leftover bits of chicken.)

"You probably don't want a bag, do you?" LOL

:lol:

My mother has had that cookbook forever! The lentil-barley stew is excellent... I think she made it once a week the whole time I was growing up, and I still make it frequently.

I have had copies of this cookbook since it first came out over twenty-five years ago. The first copy fell in the dishwater and mildewed. The second caught fire on the stove. My current copy is so well used and dog-eared that I am really in need of a fourth! There are so many recipes in there that are family favorites it would be difficult to list them all.

Susie in SWVA

I have several recipes from this I've used over and over for years. It's pretty beat up.

I admit I don't usually fix main dish meals as much as utilize the baking mix options, the desserts, etc.

I love the comment you were given. :lol:

Does anyone have this?

I just got it today from my local bookstore. The clerk looked at the title and said, "You probably don't want a bag, do you?" LOL

Anyway, what have you tried/liked?

There is a pancake dry mix that is wonderful. It's a huge recipe, something like 6-10 cups. It calls for powdered milk. I use whole wheat flour and it's great! It's one of my "fast" homemade meals. Just add water.

My mom had this cookbook when I was a kid and then she passed it on to me and then my sister nabbed it during one of her visits. I did photo copy that pancake recipe though since I used that the most.

on p. 131. It doesn't sound great but it is wonderful. My youngest who is super-picky keeps asking when I will make it again. I added a few more potatoes than it called for. Also, my kids do NOT like chunks of tomatoes so next time I will use crushed tomatoes.

That is the only one I have tried so far.

:lol:

My mother has had that cookbook forever! The lentil-barley stew is excellent... I think she made it once a week the whole time I was growing up, and I still make it frequently.

The brown rice (substitute for barley) option for this stew is great too!

I've been in a cooking rut lately. I'll get this cookbook out today for some inspiration.