Menu

Your Opinion on Nook Color

I am interested in buying an e-reader. Somehow the thought of having all of my books in one place is REALLY appealing. I have heard great things about the Kindle BUT I love that the Nook Color includes pictures for children's books. Also the NEW tablet functions are appealing. Does the Nook Color bother your eyes? What are the pros and cons in your view? If you had it to do over, would you buy something different?

I don't have a Nook Color, but I do have an iPad and various Sony readers and a Kindle. In my experience it's best to have several different devices if you want to read a wide variety of ebooks. Yes, you need a device that displays color for many children's books, but yes, many people prefer reading on an eink device. There isn't one device right now that can do it all.

We decided against a Nook Color and went with an iPad because the Nook Color's screen really isn't very big. We have a huge number of color ebooks on our iPad and its screen really is about as small as I'd care to go with many children's books. But none of us do any reading on the iPad if we don't need color since we all prefer reading with eink. And since most of our reading isn't in color, we all do a lot more reading on the eink devices than on the iPad.

I have a nook color. I don't use it as much as I thought I would. However, I still love it. I love that I can take it with it me and have loads to choose from - books, games, email, internet etc... I have not had a problem reading on it at all; you can change the brightness and font colors so easily. My dh has an ipad. It was way cooler and quite frankly better, but it costs a lot more too.

I love my Nook Color.

I haven't updated to the 1.2 version yet, but anticipate we will use it even more once I do.

It does not bother me at all to read with the backlight vs. the eink, but evidently that is a concern for some.

I do have quite a few children's books on it and have no complaints~my little ones and I both enjoy them.

Re: the battery issue TechRepublic and zdnet both have nook tear downs that show it's a plug-in battery and therefore replaceable. I researched it before I made my purchase.

I have a nook color. I was convinced after using my mom's when I was back home to visit. My dad has an ipad, so I was able to play with that too.

It doesn't make my eyes tired, but I understand why some people have that problem. I also have a Sony e-reader with the e-ink, so I have experience with both. I like that I can read it in bed and no longer need my bedside lamp; that is probably dh's favorite part. ;)

I can carry the nook in my purse, the ipad is too big and expensive for me to do that.

I am interested in buying an e-reader. Somehow the thought of having all of my books in one place is REALLY appealing. I have heard great things about the Kindle BUT I love that the Nook Color includes pictures for children's books. Also the NEW tablet functions are appealing. Does the Nook Color bother your eyes? What are the pros and cons in your view? If you had it to do over, would you buy something different?

I love my Nook but I would dearly love a Nook color too. :)

I've had my Nook Color since January, and looooove it. Had the b&w wifi version before, and loved that one, too. But the color is outstanding. Doesn't bother my eyes at all (actually, I prefer it over e-ink). Love the new update with all the apps and interactive children's books, too!

LOVE my NookColor! I had a Nook3G and sent that to Afghanistan with my dh. I much prefer my Color, and I don't even have the update installed yet. I'm planning to do that today. I love the ability to read in bed without leaving the light on. Doesn't bother my eyes at all. I keep it in my purse all the time. Never know when I'll have a few minutes to read. :-) Definitely worth the money! Oh, I have some school books in PFD version on my NookColor as well. For example, First Language Lessons. I also keep some of my knitting patterns on there. Very handy!

My ds has a nook color which he jail-broke to a full android tablet. It's fun and useful BUT I couldn't read on it for very long.

If you want to read on it - I'd suggest borrowing one to try it first.

I just got a Kindle which I like much better for reading. :D

I love my Nook Color and have no problem reading on it. If I need to, I adjust the brightness. I was originally concerned about the eink vs the Nook Color screen, but it has not been a problem at all. The updated operating system only makes it better. One reason I originally bought the Nook Color was because I wanted to borrow library books to read on it, and the Kindle didn't do that. I think I recently read that the Kindle will be supporting some library books, depending on their formatting. Another reason I chose the Nook Color was for the color.

I adore my nook color! It was my Christmas gift. I have littles, so the children's books are wonderful for me. I don't have any trouble reading, esp since I can change the background color and brightness. I installed the new update yesterday and am quite pleased. I admit I am surprised to find how many books I have read on it. I also really love the magazines. They look great, and they don't use trees or clutter my house. I have subscribed to Nat Geo Little Kids for DS4 too. If I had the money, I might buy an ipad instead, but I like the smaller size of the nook color for many things, esp portability.

The absolute best purchase I made this year. For me it is the perfect combination of ereader and tablet. I love the lit screen. I read a lot and it doesn't bother me. You can control the brightness and background color. My favorite thing in the world is lying in bed in the dark and reading on it.

I am not interested in an ipad - just too big for my needs. For half the price the NC does everything I want.

I have a laptop, an ipod touch, and the original nook; but my NC is my baby:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Lisa

What is the deal about the updates? My dh just bought mine a few weeks ago, so do I still need to update it or should it already be updated?

The update was released yesterday, so you can either manually sideload it or wait for an automatic update sometime this week. If you wait, you should get a little notification icon when it happens. To do it yourself, go to http://www.nookcolor.com/update, iirc.

What is the deal about the updates? My dh just bought mine a few weeks ago, so do I still need to update it or should it already be updated?

The update was just released. You can get it online or you can wait for it to be released wirelessly.

Get it online here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/

Here are the steps simplified:

1. Plug your nook into your computer

2. Download the file, save it to your desktop (do not open!!!)

3. Open your My Computer window from your start menu (you should see MyNookColor in there as a drive)

4. drag the file from your desktop and drop it on the MyNookColor drive, let it load

5. Eject your nook

6. Wake it up, let it go to sleep

7. The software will install itself

I have the iPad with the Nook and Kindle apps as well as iBooks. I use all three because different e-books are only available on different apps. I love reading on my iPad. I didn't think I would, but now I wish I had all of my books on it. It is more expensive that the other e-readers, but is does so much more. I use it for so many things for homeschool, as well as personal use. I can't imagine life without it now. . .:)

Those of you with the Nook color, I am wondering if you can annotate or make notes in color code like you can do in i-books? I have done this on the i-pod touch and I went to Best Buy to look at a nook color but I couldn't figure it out nor could the helper there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Blessings,

Suzq

Those of you with the Nook color, I am wondering if you can annotate or make notes in color code like you can do in i-books? I have done this on the i-pod touch and I went to Best Buy to look at a nook color but I couldn't figure it out nor could the helper there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Blessings,

Suzq

Yep, there are 3 highlight colors. And as mentioned, you just touch and hold until a word is highlighted, then adjust the bars to make the selection larger.