Menu

How would you deal with neighbor's cat?

Our neighbors have an outdoor cat who likes to make himself quite comfortable in our home. The cat spends most nights in our basement and quite a bit of time during the daytime as well.

My MIL lives with us and the cat most often sneaks into the house with her. She's elderly and not so quick anymore so it's easy for the cat to slide right past her as she's opening her door. The cat also comes in our windows when they're open (old windows without screens.)

It's been this way for a long time and I think my MIL enjoys the cat's company so it's never been a problem. However, recently the cat has started using our entire basement as her litter box and it's become a problem. I can't have a cat that's not even ours ruining everything and making our house stink! I should also note that we do have a litterbox in our basement but the cat is apparently particular. If the litter box isn't kept spotless he'll just go answer nature's call on the floor.

What would you say, if anything, to the neighbor? I feel like I can't say much to her since we also have an outdoor cat, but then again I'm pretty sure my outdoor cat isn't defecating in her home. How would you deal with a neighbor's cat who treats your house as its own?

Edited by Wabi Sabi

Super soaker by the door.

:iagree: Make the cat less comfortable in your home. Put in sliding screens in those windows. If he gets in, toss him out as soon as you discover him. Don't feed or water him.

Some cats are very particular about litter boxes--some won't share with another cat, some refuse to use particular brands of litter, etc. They also are attracted to places they've previously gone and if that's on the floor, then that's where he'll return unless the scent is completely removed (check pet supply stores for products).

So much could be going on here. This cat may have a urinary issue and if that is the case a new box isn't going to help. It could also be spraying if it is an un-neutered male (something that neutering can help). Since he isn't your cat, you wouldn't know his vet history or his dietary needs and that can be a problem too.

It sounds like he wants to live with you. Maybe you should approach the neighbors to see if they would be open to letting you have him so that you can get him vetted and checked out. If you have other animals (particularly other cats), introducing another cat with unknown medical history can be very risky. Unless you want to adopt him, I would discourage his visits.

:iagree: Make the cat less comfortable in your home. Put in sliding screens in those windows. If he gets in, toss him out as soon as you discover him. Don't feed or water him.

Some cats are very particular about litter boxes--some won't share with another cat, some refuse to use particular brands of litter, etc. They also are attracted to places they've previously gone and if that's on the floor, then that's where he'll return unless the scent is completely removed (check pet supply stores for products).

Good luck on getting the cat urine smell out.

If products (you have to use it right after the incident) do not work, then spray bleach over the walls and floors. Let dry. Then paint KILZ all over the area. Let dry. We had to rent an ionizer (we used to be landlords and one tenant apparently failed to disclose her cat was both blind and UTI. The cat peed everywhere. A nightmare.) to de-ionize the unit (you cannot live in the rooms being treated for up to 72 hours) and that finally did the trick. Then finally we installed new padding and carpet. Aiiiyyyeee. :glare:

Sounds like a small claims court issue if you wish to have the owner of the pet split costs. But the judge will find you footing the entire bill as you allowed the cat in your home in the first place.

:iagree: First you need to decide if the cat is allowed inside. If not, a spray bottle with water will discourage him. You'll need to retrain him to stay out of the house.

If you want to allow him in, then you'll have to figure out how to get him to use the box. Or else put a time limit on his visits and lock him out of the basement. Or do as another poster suggested, adopt the cat, and have a vet check him over.

I've used a strong vinegar solution to help with smell, unless it's soaked into the floor. I once painted the floor (the wood part that is under the carpet - had to remove the carpet) and that locked the smell out.

I feel for you though. I'm having issues with my 21 year old cat and the litter box. Best of luck!

Yes! Talk to the owner. A neighbor recently came to talk to me about my cat, and I'm glad he did it. I want to know any issues and the cat is mine. That being said, I'm not sure how the neighbor can do anything about the cat using your house as a litter box since you let it into your house.

Can you try to get a new litter box and litter so that he thinks it's all his? That is what I would try first.

I agree w/ Journey, unless you don't want her in the house. Then I would follow Pippen's advice.

Some cats are very particular about litter boxes--some won't share with another cat, some refuse to use particular brands of litter, etc. QUOTE]