Menu

help me fight off this cold!

I have had a sore throat since last night, and I really, really do not want to be sick this week. What are your tried and true methods for keeping something like this from becoming a full-blown cold? As a side note, I am pregnant, so I'd obviously prefer suggestions that won't have any negative effects on that. Thank you in advance, Dr. Hive!

My tried and true method is garlic. Just a regular clove of garlic - take one section of the clove and chop it into pill size pieces and swallow them like a pill. I also use a vick's vapor rub type salve that I rub on my neck. You will be stinky for a day or two, but I really stand by this method. It works every single time for me and my children.

Hope you get some relief!!!

A few things I do that seem to work:

-gargle with salt water

-increase my intake of apple cider vinegar

-put 1/2 capful of hydrogen peroxide in my ear. let it sit until bubbling is done, dump it out and repeat on other ear

-homeopathic occillococcinum

-increase my vitamin C intake

-eat raw garlic as much as possible (I either add it to whatever I'm eating or I'll make myself some garlic bread with it)

-take out all sugar from my diet until my body has fought off the cold

-elderberry syrup (safe during pregnancy)

-drink lots of water

When I'm not pregnant a few drops of oil of oregano really seems to do the trick. All the above you can do during pregnancy and have really worked for me.

Zinc tablets, sucked under the tongue every two hours or so, drink a full glass of water first if you can. The zinc absorbs through the thin skin under the tongue, but more importantly, dripping down the throat like that it kills some of the germs each time you swallow; preventing them from ever taking over into a fullblown cold.

This does not even TOUCH strep throat, but for colds that start in your throat it's tremendously effective. The cold runs it course but never really takes hold to the extent that it does if you don't do this.

:bigear: as I am 37 weeks pregnant and I have a head cold, trying to prevent it from turning into a chest cold. Ugh!

Already taking probiotics and drinking even more, having more OJ, I will try to garlic! Ahh! I just remembered that I have some saline spray! Going to try that as well! I just don't want to feel like this when I go into labor.

OP: Praying that you find something that works for you and makes it go away QUICKLY!

Thank you for the suggestions so far, ladies! I am trying the things I already have in the house first: garlic, yogurt/probiotic, zinc, cider vinegar, and, of course, water). I live in a rural area, so I might try to stock up on the other suggestions the next time I or DH go to town or the city.

Cayenne pepper works every time for me. I add it to foods for eating, but will also gargle and spit it out, especially if I have a sore throat. It even cured strep throat for me! It's a miracle worker!

Also, be sure to rest, push fluids and garlic is always helpful fighting a virus.

Raw apple cider vinegar is great, and removing the 'whites' from your diet will help your immune system.

Hope you feel better soon!