Menu

veggies and dip

A favorite for us is taco dip:

1 8oz pkg cream cheese

1 8 oz container sour cream

1 pkg taco seasoning (if you look, you can find some pretty straight forward seasoning packets without all the additional junk, or if you are much cooler than me, you can make your own ;))

Mix those together with a hand blender. Spread in the bottom of a 10X15" cookie sheet (or cut the whole thing in half and use a big serving platter).

Top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, chopped onions, peppers, olives, green onions, tomatoes (or anything else you usually would put on a taco). Sometimes I sprinkle it with a little cayenne.

Eat with blue or yellow or white corn chips.

Dd and I can eat the entire cookie sheet all by ourselves, so we tend to cut the recipe in half just to be safe ;).

No, tell me.:bigear:

It is strained yoghurt. Also called Labneh or yoghurt cheese. It basically has the consistency of cream cheese. You can purchase it now in markets (in Los Angeles anyway).

If youncan't find it pre-made It is easy to make oneself. You just put yoghurt into a piece of clean muslin. Gather up the muslin and twist gently and tie off. Then let the yoghurt drain.

I tie it to my kitchen faucet (a trick taught to me by Arab friends). Others will put it in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge. When it is drained it has the consistency of cream cheese.

You can serve it plain, or surrounded with olive oil. Herbs, or flavorings like chives, scallions or onions, or pepper can be added. Arabs use a Tyme-based herb mix called Zaatar (which is delicious!).

The Labneh can also serve as a base for things like roasted and roughly purreed red peppers to be mixed with. Spinach. Anything.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

In a different vein, there is a vegetable dip we enjoy (through my wife's Northern Italian heritage) called Bagna càuda.

It is a bath of warm olive oil, butter, anchovies, garlic, and parsley.

Dip in raw or very lightly blanched vegetables. Yum!

Bill

It is strained yoghurt. Also called Labneh or yoghurt cheese. It basically has the consistency of cream cheese. You can purchase it now in markets (in Los Angeles anyway).

If youncan't find it pre-made It is easy to make oneself. You just put yoghurt into a piece of clean muslin. Gather up the muslin and twist gently and tie off. Then let the yoghurt drain.

I tie it to my kitchen faucet (a trick taught to me by Arab friends). Others will put it in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge. When it is drained it has the consistency of cream cheese.

You can serve it plain, or surrounded with olive oil. Herbs, or flavorings like chives, scallions or onions, or pepper can be added. Arabs use a Tyme-based herb mix called Zaatar (which is delicious!).

The Labneh can also serve as a base for things like roasted and roughly purreed red peppers to be mixed with. Spinach. Anything.

Bill

Heh. You know, I made that two weeks ago but I had no idea that's what it was called. I put it on wasa. :D The Zaatar and spinach idea sounds good. I'll have to play around with that.

Dd and I can eat the entire cookie sheet all by ourselves, so we tend to cut the recipe in half just to be safe ;).

I can totally see making half a portion, you might as well strap that to my rear end with a double roll of duct tape. I'm sure you'd find me locked in a closet with a spoon if I made that. Which, I'm sure I'll be doing...

it's a mayo/yogurt mix with olives cut up and roasted almonds.... Yum!!

that sounds cool!

Dill dip with the secret ingredient Beau Monde. My mom makes it for every family event---love it. :001_smile:

I had to look up Beau Monde, but that sounds yummy!

Uhh...ranch. I guess I'm no help, huh? :lol:

I'm another fan of plain 'ol ranch.

I AM going to make a from scratch ranch. I will blame it on the kids wanting it, but I'll be eating it, too! :D

I make yogurt cheese all the time, usually adding in shredded veggies and herbs.

Do you ever make marinated labneh balls?

You drain the yoghurt extra well. Roll it into balls, then pack loosely in jars with olive oil, herbs and spices. Delicious!

I also love black bean dip -- mashed black beans, garlic, cumin, a bit of hot sauce, and sour cream to make it as creamy as you like.

Bean dip, naturally ;)

Bill

In a different vein, there is a vegetable dip we enjoy (through my wife's Northern Italian heritage) called Bagna càuda.

It is a bath of warm olive oil, butter, anchovies, garlic, and parsley.

Dip in raw or very lightly blanched vegetables. Yum!

Bill

Spy Car, I had never heard of this dip until you mentioned it here. Therefore, I was floored to see a recipe for it appear in my Epicurious feed this morning!!

It's on the list to try sometime soon!!

Anne :)

Spy Car, I had never heard of this dip until you mentioned it here. Therefore, I was floored to see a recipe for it appear in my Epicurious feed this morning!!

It's on the list to try sometime soon!!

Anne :)

It is quite delicious.

My wife's late grandfather ate an appetizer of Bagna càuda almost everyday, so it is one of those "sentimental" dishes we can't help but eat in memory.

Buon Appetito!

Bill