Menu

Best online colleges??

Mommee & Baba

My dh is wanting to go back to school. We're seeking some input on what online college to attend. Going to a campus is out of the question as he does work full time.

We were debating with Phoenix online but I just spoke to a family member whom said that they are extremely expensive and even after paying for 1 class that was 5 weeks (costing them $1650.00) because they didn't sign up for more classes they wouldn't give the credit hours on their transcript AND wouldn't refund any of the money...so now I don't want to go with them! That sounds horrible.

What my dh is looking at getting

• Bachelor's/Masters of Science in Psychology
  • Masters in Counseling/Marriage, Family & Child Therapy.

The online for-profit colleges like Phoenix are expensive and have some practices that seem a little shady.

I would suggest that you investigate online programs at public post-secondary schools near you. For example, our CC offers a number of online courses or so called "hybrids" that may only meet once a week on campus. The rest of the work is done online.

Also, some of the public universities have programs geared toward non-traditional students. This can involve courses on the Internet or sometimes courses that just meet one Saturday a month.

If your husband chooses the for-profit college route, I would examine the graduation rate, the reputation and the loan default rate. Some of these statistics are not pretty.

Good luck.

Jane

I would also look at hybrid or evening programs. I've taught in an evening program that offers all of its classes after 5pm one night a week to accommodate working students. In a field such as psychology or counseling lab/practicals will likely be an important part of being able to get a job in the field.

Check out Regis University in Denver (Jesuit). It has a very good reputation and their distance program is excellent. I have my degree from Regis. I took most of my courses on campus and finished up as a distance student when we moved. It was expensive but my work paid a portion of the tuition for awhile. It's a great school! It has been operating since 1877. :)

Edited by 2cents

Several of our state universities have on line degree programs. Some do require a couple of weeks on campus but those type programs are mostly because of the kind of degree the person is wanting.

For the kind of Bachelor's degree your husband is wanting you should find that they can be done 100% on line but if he persues a masters in either area he will have to do some clinical work which may be at the campus or the campus might have arrangements with agencies locally to provide clinical work.

I would be leary of using some online programs. If you read in the fine print you will see that their credits may not transfer. So if you get your Bachelors with them and then find that you need or want to pursue the Master's with someone else you might not get any credit for previous course work and have to start all over again. You don't usually find this if you use a brick and mortar school's online degree programs especially state universities and you will find that using local schools on line programs are usually cheaper than some of the other on line degree schools.

One thing to recognize is that U of PHX is also not universally recognized credential-wise.

For example, one of my girlfriends (20+ years) got her Masters in Education from them, it is recognized in AZ (where she got it), but nowhere else. And it isn't even a teaching degree, so it isn't like the problem is due to certification issues.

I'd check out Regis.

a

I found this:

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/BachelorinPsychology.shtml

I don't know about the MA, my guess is that he will have to do some of that in a classroom setting.

One thing to look at too: Most colleges these days have programs for older students going back to finish school. Many will count work experience and/or classes from WAY back in order to help get you through. I MAY require some on campus time, but it is usually an accelerated program at night or even weekends. This may not be ideal, but it is well worth it in the long run.

Another thing to remember is that online does not necessarily mean less time/work. The few online classes I took actually required MORE time for me. In one class I had to read the entire chapter (usually around 80 very intense pages) and make an outline and contribute to online discussion with other students.

If I had been in an actual classroom, I would have been able to read the text, highlight a few things, and then wait for the professor's explanation/lecture to understand better. I actually learn better in a classroom setting. I found the "read it yourself and figure it out" method much more time consuming and difficult.

Dawn

A degree in counseling will require licensure from the state, will it not?

Before paying for a program, I would look at what the state requirements are for a license. In recent years one of my friends earned her MA in Psychology with a license to be a counselor. The degree required an internship of many hours. How do out of state school monitor internships? I don't know if the hours are an institutional mandate or a licensing one.

Anyway, it might be better to look at what is required to practice before signing on the dotted line of any program.

Good luck to him!

Be very careful with for-profit online schools. They can be expensive and sometimes outright lie about being accredited, etc. If you're getting the hard-sell, that especially is a huge red flag.

I watched an interesting show about the schools and tactics they use. I forgot the name, otherwise I'd link it. Very eye-opening.

It is good you are researching and asking questions.

Good luck.

The hive is seriously the best!!

I knew once dh spilled his heart to me about his "dream" and no longer wanting to put it on the back burner...that coming here for some guidance was the right decision!!

We've looked at all the options through the military and we can't go that route as he hasn't his BA yet which is required to get the scholorship program started at all in the Army. And his age freaked us out but the Army's med area isn't worried about age, they are more concerned with what degree level he is currently at. So maybe in 3 years when he does get his BA we can look at the military route again. Since he'd love to go back to the military after have been out for so many years.

Also with U of Phx I do believe they are one of the school with FINE print that state if he transfers his credit hours don't transfer..which is def. not a good idea.

I like that there are plenty of options for online courses. DH did say that going to campus in the evenings and weekends is an option. And he realizes that his internship would mean he's basically working 2 jobs, but one for free...but will pay off in the end..which is another reason why I think him shooting for his BA and then applying to the Army as he's wanted would work as long as he gets the scholorship they offer to pay for the rest of his school and give him all the internship hours he'd need plus give him nice pay.

I was so ready to hold his hand and walk through fire with him on this and although I'm still ready to do that...I'm def. doing so much research (5.5hr just today on it) today that I'm getting cold feet!! I don't want to have him do 6yrs of school to make 50k-60k a year but hold the 40k of school loan debt above him either....BUT I'm wanting to be 100% supportive of him in this.

My dh is 40 and feels so silly that he's wanting to live his dream..even if when he completes school is only able to work in the field for 10yrs. I don't find that silly. I find that bittersweet. His lasting years spent doing what he regretting not doing sooner in life. I also love the life lesson that our children will soon learn from this too.

The American Public University System (American Public University/American Military University) is all online. I attend there. Classes vary between 8 and 16 weeks. Undergrad tuition is $250/credit hour, about the same as son's brick and mortar state university. The rigor is also comparable to my son's state university. It is regionally accredited (Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association).Regional accreditation is more important and respected than national accreditation. Sorry about the underlining, I can't get it to go away.

Definitely look at the universities around you and see what they offer. LeTourneau has a GREAT degree for getting your teaching degree while you are working. I've had friends that have done that. So look at the universities around you and then see what kind of online courses they offer.

Christine

I just graduated with my BA in Psych last October...I did the last two years online with Columbia College. It is a real college with an awesome online degree program for non-traditional students. They are really good about accepting transfer credits, and they even evaluated my Army service and gave me credits for some of my Army training. It is not a diploma mill or fluff program, either...they are real college courses that take a lot of hard work to pass, much less get an "A". It is a private college, so it isn't cheap, but it wasn't nearly as expensive as some of the other schools I considered, lol!

I just got my bachelor's of psychology and am now working on my master's in counseling from Liberty University. It's less expensive than what my dd is paying for her college tuition. Liberty counts life experience and goes way back when counting college credit too. It has a wonderful reputation.

A degree in counseling will require licensure from the state, will it not?

Before paying for a program, I would look at what the state requirements are for a license. In recent years one of my friends earned her MA in Psychology with a license to be a counselor. The degree required an internship of many hours. How do out of state school monitor internships? I don't know if the hours are an institutional mandate or a licensing one.

Anyway, it might be better to look at what is required to practice before signing on the dotted line of any program.

Good luck to him!

The place you intern at monitors your hours--not your school. Liberty requires that you check your state's guidelines for licensure if you want to be licensed. I do not and most churches don't require that as do some private Christian counseling centers. The hours are mandated by the state the school is in, which for most states is pretty much the same.

I am taking classes that require that we use certain books so that the class fulfills the licensing requirements for most states. Liberty walked me through the whole process and I checked out the two states I could be practicing in and I will be fine.