Menu

Trying to help my mother find a hobby ...

She is 73 years old and still gets around pretty good, but she can't work due to back issues and some other health issues. She needs something to occupy her time with because she is going stir crazy.

We have suggested scrap-booking to her already and it wasn't met with great enthusiasm.

She is 73 years old and still gets around pretty good, but she can't work due to back issues and some other health issues. She needs something to occupy her time with because she is going stir crazy.

We have suggested scrap-booking to her already and it wasn't met with great enthusiasm.

surfing the WTM boards???

How about knitting looms? The round Knifty Knitter looms can easily make scarves and hats. I remember hearing about a retired gentleman who made hundreds of preemie hats for his local hospital. The looms don't require quite as much fine motor dexterity as crocheting and knitting. My mom was able to use them before her Parkinson's got worse.

Health clubs, community centers and YMCAs have fitness programs designed just for seniors with physical problems. There's one called "silver sneakers". I've noticed these programs develop quite a following and are a great social outlet.

If she doesn't knit, does she sew? Maybe she can make baby quilts to donate? Do you have a Senior Center in your area? There is a food bank and second hand store at our Sr Center. They are all volunteer, and it seems very social. I've dropped food & other items off, and there are always a few older folks chatting together. While she might not be able to lift a lot, maybe she could do something else? Take calls? I've dropped food & other items off; there are always a few older folks chatting together. It seems quite social, but also useful.

Would she like Yoga for the elderly or disabled? It's very gentle, and good for the joints. You might find this at a Sr Center, or maybe a Y or yoga center? Can she walk ok? Maybe join a Sr Citizen walking group?

What about a book or film group? Our library has a program for older adults.

Does she like to play cards? Can you find her Gin or Bridge partners?

Edited by LibraryLover

What about a Wii and balance board? She can do all kinds of great fitness and balance exercise (balance is key for seniors), and some fun mental fitness games as well.

Old school puzzles, logic games, and word searches.

I second the idea of Silver Sneakers or similar programs; exercise and social outlet all in one.

Is there a senior center nearby? Ours do all kinds of activities like outings and card games, teach all kinds of stuff like tai chi, painting, conversational foreign language, etc. They do some very cool day trips and vacations as well.

Honestly, my mom, 72, is dreadfully addicted to MSN games on the computer. She just upgraded to a laptop and high speed internet, and she can compete with my tweens for time spent online :tongue_smilie:

Has she worked out the family tree? Is there a local historical society where she could research things? (I am researching the s/w side of Elgin IL, just 'cause that is where I live and researching our 100+ year-old house turned into doing the entire street then the neighborhood etc. etc. :-) )

Does she like to talk on the phone? Many organizations are in need of volunteers to make phone calls. Not the kind asking for money (though there are those too), but calls to schedule volunteers or coordinate services.

I volunteer in a food pantry and we deliver food to shut-ins. We are ALWAYS in need of callers who coordinate with the clients for deliveries. Another program, Salvation Army's Meal on Wheels, usually needs phone volunteers as well.

Has she worked out the family tree? Is there a local historical society where she could research things? (I am researching the s/w side of Elgin IL, just 'cause that is where I live and researching our 100+ year-old house turned into doing the entire street then the neighborhood etc. etc. :-) )

:iagree:

Genealogy is addicting, and a very popular hobby among older people.