Menu

Gone off sugar? I'd love to hear how you did it

I eat well. The only thing that needs work in my diet is my sugar habit. I go all day without eating sugar, but in the evening I down whatever looks good: cake, cookies, candy etc.

Not in enormous quantities, but I hate the fact that this habit wrecks my good intentions all day long.

If you went off sugar, can you tell me how you did it? What was hard? What was easy? How long before the urge to eat sugar went away?

I'm not going to, for example, stop using my protein powder in my smoothie because there's fructose in it. But I am going to try to go without the obvious: cookies, cake, candy, ice cream. . . treats.

Thanks!

Alley

well, i feel differently about this (in the sense that i don't think sweet stuff is bad for you :)). i do not eat refined sugar, but i still enjoy sweet things. i like to cook with molasses, raw honey, raisins, dates, and sometime i'll use a little brown sugar. i also like fruit smoothies with kale. lastly, a bowl of cereal with almond milk is incredibly satisfying. so for me, it isn't about cutting out sweets - just changing your treats to healthier options and limiting the amount you eat (so they truly are a "treat") and not a staple part of your diet.

Is the problem sugar, or evening snacking? I'm a huge evening snacker. I try to push dinner back later so that I'm still full until I go to bed. Also, when I get the urge to eat junk, I drink a big glass of water first, and that usually helps. A lot of the time, what I think is a junk food craving is really just thirst, strange as that sounds.

If that doesn't work, then I just go ahead and have something sugary. :D Better to just have a bit of chocolate than to sit around pining over it, imo.

well, i feel differently about this (in the sense that i don't think sweet stuff is bad for you :)). i do not eat refined sugar, but i still enjoy sweet things. i like to cook with molasses, raw honey, raisins, dates, and sometime i'll use a little brown sugar. i also like fruit smoothies with kale. lastly, a bowl of cereal with almond milk is incredibly satisfying. so for me, it isn't about cutting out sweets - just changing your treats to healthier options and limiting the amount you eat (so they truly are a "treat") and not a staple part of your diet.

I am really curious about this because it sounds similar to the changes my sister is making. She is pre diabetic, so she has decided to give up refined sugar in favor of honey, molasses, etc.

I wonder, does her body *really* know the difference? Does it recognize 'natural' versus 'refined' and function in a healthier manner?

I tend to take in no more than 25 grams of sugar per day, and most of that is derived from whole foods. I have 2 teaspoons a day of table sugar; one in my morning coffee and one in my evening coffee.

I do occasionally treat myself to a small dessert or 3 peanut M&Ms.

How did I do it? I don't eat processed foods with the exception of a few items (pasta, ketchup, mayonnaise). That helps a lot. Most processed foods are loaded with sugar or sugar substitutes.

The first week or two was hard. Really hard. I wanted to dip into the M&M jar, so I put it out of the way. I didn't have any baked goods in the house for a few weeks so I wouldn't be tempted.

I also went low-carb at the same time. Most of my carbs and sugars are coming from fruits and vegetables. I feel better and I'm losing weight, which is how I stick with it. I feel tired and foggy headed when I cheat, so that helps keep me sticking to the plan.

It wasn't easy (I have a real sweet tooth), but I was determined. Now every time I look at a food I'm measuring the sugar content in my head. I make sure that if I'm going to treat myself, it's going to be with something I really enjoy, rather than being too lazy to make myself "good" food.

Are you eating in the evening because you are hungry? You could try a few different things. Either forbid yourself food after say 7 PM, or add more protein to your diet. It helps keep you feeling full longer so you don't get tired and hungry and want to reach for sweet treats. The other option is to choose to snack on fruit to feed your sweet tooth instead of cakes and cookies. I'm to the point now where I almost prefer a bowl of strawberries to a cookie. I also have a rule for myself that says I will not eat if I'm not actually hungry. It helps.

I also do cereal w/ almond milk! Great snack.

BUT they are starting to think/wonder if Alzheimer's isn't really a diabetes. Some are calling it Diabetes 3. And they're suggesting that reducing white flour, processed food and sugared food could help just like it helps diabetes. We have an amazing amount of Alzheimer's in my family.

Anyway, I'm set on eliminating sugar. . .I'm not looking for substitution advice.

But for anyone who has given up sugar, I'd love to hear about your path.

Alley

It was a bit of a long, gradual process for me.

First we went low-gluten because a member of our household can't eat gluten. So most of the food we ate at home was gluten-free. This was pretty painless, since there wasn't anything forbidden - we just didn't have it around the house.

Then I went dairy-free because my breastfeeding baby reacts badly to dairy. This eliminated ice cream and so forth. This sucks, and I still want yogurt and stuff, but having a happy, healthy baby is good motivation.

Then we went paleo (plants that can be healthily eaten in their raw state and meat - no grains or legumes). I still had sugar daily in my coffee and occasional treats.

After a month or so of this, I just felt less interested in the sugar in my coffee, and gradually cut down. When it ran out, we didn't buy anymore.

I still have occasional dark chocolate, and I eat fruit and so forth, but I'm not doing processed sugar on a daily basis.

I am really curious about this because it sounds similar to the changes my sister is making. She is pre diabetic, so she has decided to give up refined sugar in favor of honey, molasses, etc.

I wonder, does her body *really* know the difference? Does it recognize 'natural' versus 'refined' and function in a healthier manner?

well, i can't speak for your sister. for me though, it is definitely a healthier choice. for example, i make a delicious vegan breakfast bread. i sweeten it with ripe banana, raisins, vanilla, cut-up apples, and a small amount of molasses. i add in nuts, use whole wheat flour, flaxseed, etc. it's delicious and sweet. so for *me*, yes - my body reacts differently with this type of treat over a processed refined sugar snack.

BUT they are starting to think/wonder if Alzheimer's isn't really a diabetes. Some are calling it Diabetes 3. And they're suggesting that reducing white flour, processed food and sugared food could help just like it helps diabetes. We have an amazing amount of Alzheimer's in my family.

wow! i've not heard this. very interesting!!

Watching this youtube video

is very inspirational as to the "why" we need to reduce/eliminate sugar. It is long but very educational.

As for the "how" I think it depends on your level of sugar addiction but I have found I need a kind of elimination diet for seven days. I really like Dr. Mark Hyman's UltraSimple Diet. You can buy the little paperback for very cheap. I have done this now every spring and fall for the last three years. Even though I try to be mindful, sugar is a thing for me that creeps in over time. I find I need to go cold turkey for a week in order to retrain my taste buds and kick the cravings.

It's still a journey, but I'm trying!

Good luck to you!

Edited by claire+3
typo

I was sort of shocked with how quickly my sugar cravings went away when I started eating low carb. It was a matter of maybe 3 or 4 days. I still eat a square or two of 85% cocoa dark chocolate occasionally, but I do it because I enjoy it and think it's probably good for me in moderation, not because I want it right now! I also bake some kind of low carb treat once a week (an erythritol/stevia blend is my sweetener of choice at the moment), but, again, it's not a craving thing anymore. so that's my story...the way to stop craving carbs is to stop eating them (much). I stayed away from doing low carb for YEARS after I started feeling like I probably should do it (history of gestational diabetes/strong family history of diabetes) because I didn't feel like I could give up sugar. I still can't get over how easy it was once I actually took the leap.

I doubt her body knows the difference. In fact, if she is eating a lot of carbs her body is still getting too much sugar. Carbs are broken down and turned into glucose.

My mother followed a diabetic diet to the letter when she was diagnosed. It was given to her by a dietician. She lost weight, but she never got her blood sugar levels under control with the diet. It just contained too many carbs. Only when she significantly lowered the amount of carbs could she control her blood sugar levels.

Honey, molasses, etc is still sugar. That might be fine for a person who is not a diabetic, but for someone who is sensitive to sugar it isn't going to make a difference.

Thank you, Wendy! I don't know that she's seen a dietician or nutritionist yet, but I am trying to encourage her to do more research.

I actually purchased a book entitled "Lick the Sugar Habit". Ha! It wasn't of much use. I needed my husband's help and I needed to get it all out of the house. We allow the kids to have a treat now and then, but we don't keep it in our house and I don't cook with it anymore. I do use pure maple syrup, honey and fruit in my cooking. I even gave up the flavored creamer in my coffee, which is HUGE for me. I have heard that during our 'monthly gift' is a good time to try to do without. If my family was still eating it and I had it in the house it wouldn't work. Also, give yourself a treat a week and find substitutions, not sugar substitutions, but things that are naturally sweet that fulfill that desire to have cookies and candy. This is coming from a girl who's favorite treats are fruity pebbles and lick a maid, so you can do it!! I honestly feel so much better without it. It doesn't mean I won't ever have it again, but I know when given the opportunity I could eat the whole box of thin mints and I just need to find balance before I dive back in. I do have to mention that cereal is difficult to find without sugar (Ezekiel is one brand), but we do have cereal with evaporated can juice, which is sugar. It is in everything.... canned tomatoes, beans, pasta sauce, peanut butter. Check your labels and try to buy things without sugar. That's just my two cents...

Not really. Glucose is glucose, no matter whether you pour it or sprinkle it.

The body does notice and respond to more or less refined carbs because it changes the GI.

What your sister is doing does become worthwhile if it is part of a package. People tend not to make muffins flavoured with molasses out of bleached white flour, kwim?

To the OP, I'd suggest designating an evening snack and calling it supper. A bowl of ice cream would not be a good choice, but a wholewheat muffin won't hurt you even if it has a little sugar in it. If you bake yourself, you may be able to reduce the amount over time. A bedtime snack helps regulate blood sugar levels overnight. Or, if you eat a late dinner, have the snack just before you start cooking.

As others have outlined, you may grow out of needing it later down the track. But if you haven't yet, you haven't yet and it is more comfortable to work with what you have than to work with what you'd like to be in theory. It's not all or nothing. There are stages of change.

Rosie

It was easy for me for a year but after that it is really hard. I was diagnosed with GD with my last pregnancy so if I ate bad it made my baby sick so out went the sugar.

I am no longer diabetic but I am still insulin resistant so I need to stay off of sugar but since January I have had a hard time with it. My main motivation now is size. I lost from a 18 to an 8/10 and I do not want to go back.

Could you have an outside trigger for the sugar cravings? Stress and hormones really get to me.

I am going sugar free at this moment. I did a 30 day no sugar challenge in the last year and decided it is a good idea to do again and this time with the intent of not going back.

I began my elimination on March 30 so far I haven't defeated the sugar monster yet. I still get cravings, especially when the goodies are right there, but I am managing. The first few days I had a headache, not an unbearable headache but a constant dull ache. At the moment I am noticing I get emotional at certain times of the day, typically when I would be drinking a cup of chai. My cravings are really strong at times when I am stressed and wanting (needing) to self medicate.

How am I doing it? I started following the SCD diet. In a nutshell it is no sugar/no carbs/no gluten and no dairy. It is difficult to follow since I didn't buy the book and have to find SCD recipes online. My diet is rather monotonous and bland at the moment but I hope to change that soon by finding more recipes. I am still in a detox phase and will be able to add in more foods right after Easter. I am really looking forward to that.

I feel better in general. I no longer have that tight feeling in my abdomen and my skin is clearing up. DH and DS have noticed a change in my mood and I feel happier. There have been stressful events in the past two weeks that I have handled in a way I don't think I would have before (although that might be due to a lot of prayer and not just a change in eating habits).

I am in awe of the discipline that a pp has about eating 3 M&Ms and then stopping. I couldn't do that on my best day. For me going cold turkey is the only way I can do it.

I cannot use sugar substitutes so they are not an option for me.

---

I am really tired after a long two days and this is probably incoherent. I will try to come back to it later.

:grouphug:

I quit sugar cold turkey. It was difficult for the first few days as I had to get used to not having it in my system but after that I felt much better. I am also using Salba seeds (Chia) too. They help curb any cravings and are a good source of Omega vit.

Several years back I had to go off... period. My asthma was terrible. I ached and was always extremely tired.

I surrounded myself with good food that I liked that didn't have sugar and that's how I did it... fresh veggies... and whatever I could find to like that didn't have it and I focused on those foods...

I am replying before I read the other posts, but I will. I started healthy eating (the "D" word) on Feb. 20 because I really have to lose weight. So, I went cold turkey off of sugar and I really had a bad addiction. I had a headache for 3 solid weeks. Now, granted, there was a pretty drastic calorie decrease as well, but I was never hungry so I have to believe it was sugar withdrawals. It wasn't fun but I knew if I slid back even a little I would have withdrawals all over again. My son had a birthday a few weeks ago and the day after I was fixing the kids their "birthday cake breakfast" - a tradition around here. I licked a pretty good sized glob of icing off the knife - bad idea! Not only did it taste "chemically" (store bought cake), within an hour I had a splitting headache so bad I had to go to bed to keep from throwing up. Yep. That was lesson enough for me. And the good news is that I have lost 27 pounds! I'm glad that I have made it this far because I know the longer I go the better that healthy eating "habit" will stick....and boy do I have a long way to go!

Oh, and the only sugar substitute I will allow myself to use is stevia. I really am enjoying Biggest Loser Shakes as my treat! No guilt!

Now, to go back and read everybody else's posts! :001_smile:

I went cold turkey a couple of years ago and have been fairly sugar free since then. But I do have the occasional thing nowadays- but rarely cakes and cookies etc

What about the No S diet ? No snacks, no sweets (your obvious cakes, cookies etc) and no seconds, except on S days- which are Saturdays, Sundays and Special days (like a wedding or your birthday- several a year).

I am following it because I think it is a good life habit, even though I no longer need to lose weight. I just save having a sweet treat- for me, that might be a piece of raw chocolate cheesecake at the raw food stall at the markets, made with pretty healthy ingredients- for the weekend. YOu can have anything though- but just on weekends or special days- so that rather than a daily habit, its a special treat- which is probably more healthy.

But if you are really caught in the addiction of sugar- its good to eat more at mealtimes and get your protein- and for me, eating any sugar for a while there was a trigger for binging.

I eat plenty of fruit though, so after meals I eat fruit for that sweet taste.