Menu

How much should we pay her?

I'm sure this varies by region, but I need to know what is the going-rate for pet-sitting. We have two occasions coming up this summer when we will be away from the house (one for 3 days, the other for a week). I have a very nice 20-year old young lady who will stay at the house to take care of our animals (1 dog, 1 cat). But she's never done this before and neither have we, so she doesn't know what to charge and we don't know what to pay her. She will sleep at our house and take care of the animals, but I've encouraged her to keep her regular routine, so she'll still go to work and socialize, etc.

What do you think?:bigear:

Baxter has doggie-daycare one day a week and the sitter charges $13.00 for sitting 7a to 7p. She is a professional with a state license.

One time we left Baxter with a teen girl for three days. It was basically a house and dog sitting gig. I paid her $50.00 for the long weekend.

A professional pet sitter charges me $65/night, or $30 per visit if she's not staying in my house. I've also paid a neighborhood college student $40/day to either stay here or come twice a day. We *do* have quite a few pets, though. (That's why I don't go out of town very often!)

I'm sure this varies by region, but I need to know what is the going-rate for pet-sitting. We have two occasions coming up this summer when we will be away from the house (one for 3 days, the other for a week). I have a very nice 20-year old young lady who will stay at the house to take care of our animals (1 dog, 1 cat). But she's never done this before and neither have we, so she doesn't know what to charge and we don't know what to pay her. She will sleep at our house and take care of the animals, but I've encouraged her to keep her regular routine, so she'll still go to work and socialize, etc.

What do you think?:bigear:

My 20 year old son does this, in fact, he has been housesitting at someone's house for the past 9 days. He charges $20/day. If he is there before 3pm on the first day, he is paid for the full day. And after 3pm on the last day. No one ever balks at his prices, and he is often told he does not charge enough (often gets paid extra). The families always leave him food (most ask him his favorite cereal, snacks and other basics), and he is always told to help himself to any food in the house. One of his few requirements is that they have internet access he can use his computer with, as he does schoolwork, including one online class, while there. He is not licensed or bonded so he charges less than the professional services around here. They charge $40-50/day.

Edited by CathieC

The company I work for charges $75 a day. That's overnight, 7p-7a, plus the sitter comes back twice for a midday and an afternoon walk. Walks alone (without spending the night) are $17, so you get 4-5 walks, company, feeding, playtime...all for a reasonable price. Or so they say around here! LOL

In two different states, I received the same price quotes and ended up using both for years. The pet sitters are "professionals" (ie. responsible moms).

They wouldn't spend the night, but they'd visit throughout the day at $15/a visit.

I was bummed I couldn't get an overnight person.

I would recommend paying AFTER the service -- don't leave the check on the counter for her. (I did that and regretted it dearly.)

I would also ask that a friend or neighbor "check up." Sounds rude, but it's the only way you have of knowing anything.

Alley

The company I work for charges $75 a day. That's overnight, 7p-7a, plus the sitter comes back twice for a midday and an afternoon walk. Walks alone (without spending the night) are $17, so you get 4-5 walks, company, feeding, playtime...all for a reasonable price. Or so they say around here! LOL

:iagree: It cost at least that much here. There was no way we could afford that. We looked long and hard for someone that would take her in their care for $25 a day.

Ok, I cannot imagine.. But then maybe it is because we live out in the country and have a HUGE yard. We just have a neighbor kids stop by and feed the dogs and water our few potted plants. We pay them 50 dollars for the week. But our dogs really don't need walking. They normally just get let out to run when we are here. I figure they can survive a week or a long weekend without that.

Christine

A professional pet sitter charges me $30/day ($15 per visit) for 2 dogs. I think her rate for one dog is $12 per visit.

However, I usually get the neighbor teen and she is great. She charges $10/day for 2 30 min. visits, so $10/hour. I have decided she is worth more and pay her $15/day as she is so good with them and if she can't come, her mom fills in. They are very responsible.

Dawn

Wow! That is quite a range! Thanks for all the replies. It seems maybe professionals run 50-75 for overnight and nonprofessionals run 20-40 for overnight.

If we had neighbors who could run over and let the dog out and check on them periodically, that would be my preference, but I don't, and the dog has bladder issues that means she HAS to go outside early in the AM. So, the young lady will stay overnight. Hopefully, she'll think around $30/night is reasonable.

Thanks, everyone!

We paid a friend's 18yo daughter $50 for the week last fall, but she had unlimited use of our electronics, books, cds, and netflix account, we stocked up on her favorite foods, and she got a week on her own away from her little brother out of the deal (which in her opinion was the best part). And back then we only had one dog and a lizard. I would imagine she'll charge more now that we have a pig and chickens.