Menu

Skipping a grade

What would be some pros/cons of having a child skip a grade level?

What I'm thinking, is of giving my dd 2nd grade work for her 1st grade year. She is reading at a high 4th grade level, (she is K currently), and has an intuitive understanding of math. She is extremely mature for her age and more than capable of handling the workload. I would still call her a 1st grader, I don't think I want her graduating early, but maybe I'm missing a reason why that would be a good idea. I'm thinking that even if she's always working a grade level ahead, there's so much material out there that we wouldn't run out of things for her to do before graduation, or she could take some classes at the community college.

What do you do when you have children close in age and the other child doesn't like the accelerated child doing the same work? It would really simplify things for me, I could have my 5 yr old and 7 yr old doing the same math, LA, science, and history. My ds was very upset though when he heard me say that dd would be doing the same math as him. (I actually think he could be accelerated also, but the motivation isn't there for him).

My ds was very upset though when he heard me say that dd would be doing the same math as him.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't put them both in the same program, no matter how much easier for *me*. If I felt I'd be cheating dd by not accelerating, I'd go to an ungraded program like MUS.

My 10 yo and 8 yo are only 1.5 years apart. And at times, I've had to separate them physically so they both weren't doing math at the same time--one in math, one reading. The competition was too great and destructive to get much work done.

I don't really have advice, just an I understand.

Good Luck!

I think one of the major perks of homeschooling is moving at the child's pace. In public school, kids skip a grade because the teacher needs all the children to be at roughly the same level in order to do her job. At home, that doesn't really make sense.

I would start her out in 1st grade, and just move as fast as she wants. You can skip over drills that you know she has down, but it doesn't hurt to go through the lessons to make sure that she really understands. She may end up starting 2nd grade work by Christmas, or she may not.

I don't think I would skip 1st grade entirely, just go more quickly. Or use the chapter tests as pretests, to make sure she can do it, then move on.

I do think I would move quickly on to something that held her interest.

You have to decide if you really want them doing everything together. It will be easier to plan but the attitude in ds(7) may take a permanent turn for the worse. If I were him, I would be insulted too.

Art, history, music and even science can be done together without the "stigma" of his little sister beating him. Maybe a math program where they can move at their own pace would help. If he really doesn't want her doing the same as him, all he has to do is work harder.

This would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't put them both in the same program, no matter how much easier for *me*. If I felt I'd be cheating dd by not accelerating, I'd go to an ungraded program like MUS.

Yes, that's what gave me pause, I definitely don't want to set up a situation that creates bad feelings between them, they're very close. It actually is MUS. He was upset that she would get to skip Alpha and he didn't. Alpha would be a lot of review for her, she's been doing 1st grade math work all year. The other thing I've been thinking of is Singapore, I think she'd enjoy that approach so I may put her in that and let ds continue with MUS. Even if she is doing the same level work, neither of them would know it since they're different programs.

My 10 yo and 8 yo are only 1.5 years apart. And at times, I've had to separate them physically so they both weren't doing math at the same time--one in math, one reading. The competition was too great and destructive to get much work done.

I don't really have advice, just an I understand.

Good Luck!

Mine are 19 mos apart. Separating them is another option. Thanks for the understanding!

I think one of the major perks of homeschooling is moving at the child's pace. In public school, kids skip a grade because the teacher needs all the children to be at roughly the same level in order to do her job. At home, that doesn't really make sense.

I would start her out in 1st grade, and just move as fast as she wants. You can skip over drills that you know she has down, but it doesn't hurt to go through the lessons to make sure that she really understands. She may end up starting 2nd grade work by Christmas, or she may not.

Maybe skipping a grade is the wrong term to use. She has been doing 1st grade math work all year for K, so she is ready for 2nd grade work. The irony is, I don't think kids need formal math for K and had planned on just playing games and doing everyday math, but she really wanted to have her own math workbook. She started out with Miquon and did orange and red, and has done Horizons K and most of 1. So I basically have been moving at her pace. She is really advanced in LA skills too, and when I look at 1st grade programs it looks like a lot of review. I agree with your feeling that rushing isn't a good thing though, and that's why I'm asking this. I'm not sure how to proceed. I tend to be a little too laidback when it comes to school, and haven't always been meeting their needs.

I do think I would move quickly on to something that held her interest.

That's the thing. She has spent this year asking to do LA like her brother, and had to ask me for a math workbook, etc. I've been telling her to wait on LA, and she's clamoring to do it. I went through a lot of MFW 1st grade thinking she is still just 5 and it would be gentle and phonics review couldn't hurt. She has been my child who loves school, but after awhile of that program, she was having fits about doing it. I finally let it go when I realized how silly it is that she was reading to herself all the time, and I was trying to force phonics, just because it seemed more age appropriate and a necessary skill, but it really wasn't for her.

I don't want to push her at all, it's not in my nature to be pushy about school, but I don't want to waste time and lose the spark she has.

If you look at the IOWA Acceleration scales handbook which assigns points for numerous items in determining whether a child should skip a grade, it discusses that if a sibling is in the grade the younger sibling would be skipped to, don't do it. Now I'm not sure I agree with that and perhaps given that you are HSing, you can work around it such as having them work in different rooms, use different programs but also emphasize to do DS that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses as well as different motivation. It's not that younger sib is any smarter, she is just more motivated in math than he is and point out all the things he's great at.

I would not call it skipping a grade but rather call it working at the higher grade level. By middle school and above, even in the public schools, many children are labeled one grade but work ahead. My son is in 7th grade public school but in the accelerated and gifted program. In the GT program, he is using 9th grade curriculum for literature/English. For the accelerated track class (math) he is doing 8th grade math. Our local district does not have a gifted math program, but if they had, he likely would have been on it. My DD, who is homeschooled, is the age of being a 6th grader this year yet started algebra this year.

I would much rather leave her labeled as she is and then graduate her early. When you homeschool, it is often best to just not use grade levels. My DD will likely go to college 1-2 years early, depending on where she choses. But there is a huge difference between going to the local state university and going to MIT (which is where she wants to go). If she wants to get in to MIT, she needs to be grade levels ahead for her grade she claims to be. Being an average 11th grader in 11th grade, even if she is only 13 or 14, will not help her at all. Plus, if she takes her PSAT (only allowed at 11th grade or sooner for qualifying for National Merit) at 16, her score will be higher than if she takes it at 14 or even 15. She will be in Calculus easily by then which is technically a college level course, but she would never get in to a place like MIT wiithout having it.

I hope that helps.

BTW..I would avoid doing blanket grade levels. If you start doing a certain grade across the board, it is more likely going to prevent your child from going ahead in areas of higher giftedness than force him/her to work ahead in an area where he/she is not quite ready.

I would not have her and her brother work together because it is easier for you. Find a different math program. Have her take the placement test and place her at that grade level. Happier sibling relations may make your teaching a little harder, but family life will be easier.

I wouldn't call it grade skipping either. You are simply working at her level.

Another thing to consider. Is your ds properly challenged. If his work is far below him, he may not be making an effort. You say he might be able to handle accelerated work. You may want to give him a placement test and move up to his challenge level. If you want to keep him the text you have now, you may want to pretest each chapter and do the chapter only if he does poorly.

If you look at the IOWA Acceleration scales handbook which assigns points for numerous items in determining whether a child should skip a grade, it discusses that if a sibling is in the grade the younger sibling would be skipped to, don't do it. Now I'm not sure I agree with that and perhaps given that you are HSing, you can work around it such as having them work in different rooms, use different programs but also emphasize to do DS that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses as well as different motivation. It's not that younger sib is any smarter, she is just more motivated in math than he is and point out all the things he's great at.

The IOWA thing is very interesting, thanks for your response!

I would not call it skipping a grade but rather call it working at the higher grade level. By middle school and above, even in the public schools, many children are labeled one grade but work ahead. My son is in 7th grade public school but in the accelerated and gifted program. In the GT program, he is using 9th grade curriculum for literature/English. For the accelerated track class (math) he is doing 8th grade math. Our local district does not have a gifted math program, but if they had, he likely would have been on it. My DD, who is homeschooled, is the age of being a 6th grader this year yet started algebra this year.

I would much rather leave her labeled as she is and then graduate her early. When you homeschool, it is often best to just not use grade levels. My DD will likely go to college 1-2 years early, depending on where she choses. But there is a huge difference between going to the local state university and going to MIT (which is where she wants to go). If she wants to get in to MIT, she needs to be grade levels ahead for her grade she claims to be. Being an average 11th grader in 11th grade, even if she is only 13 or 14, will not help her at all. Plus, if she takes her PSAT (only allowed at 11th grade or sooner for qualifying for National Merit) at 16, her score will be higher than if she takes it at 14 or even 15. She will be in Calculus easily by then which is technically a college level course, but she would never get in to a place like MIT wiithout having it.

I hope that helps.

BTW..I would avoid doing blanket grade levels. If you start doing a certain grade across the board, it is more likely going to prevent your child from going ahead in areas of higher giftedness than force him/her to work ahead in an area where he/she is not quite ready.

Lots of great info there, thanks! I'm new at all of this and a little nervous. My oldest was tested as gifted and was in the gifted program in public school, where he remained until I took him out in 5th grade, so I didn't gain any experience in learning how to meet a gifted younger child's needs.

I would not have her and her brother work together because it is easier for you. Find a different math program. Have her take the placement test and place her at that grade level. Happier sibling relations may make your teaching a little harder, but family life will be easier.

I wouldn't call it grade skipping either. You are simply working at her level.

Another thing to consider. Is your ds properly challenged. If his work is far below him, he may not be making an effort. You say he might be able to handle accelerated work. You may want to give him a placement test and move up to his challenge level. If you want to keep him the text you have now, you may want to pretest each chapter and do the chapter only if he does poorly.

His personality is such that he doesn't like change or anything that isn't his idea. It takes him a long time to get used to one thing, so I guess I've been hesitant to change what he's doing too much. He's not as eager for schoolwork as his two younger siblings. He's very bright and eager and I waited until he was nearly 7 to start formal school work, he just wasn't ready beforehand. He has taught himself so much when a variety of materials and books are available to him. Not being challenged is a good thought though, maybe he resists me sometimes because it's simply not interesting/challenging to him.

You all have been a wealth of information, I have a lot to think on and read more about. Thanks.

This has pretty much been covered, but one of the great things about HS is that your child can work at their own grade level/pace. So I agree, it's not really "skipping" a grade, just having her work at the level that's appropriate for her. Becca would be a kindergartener this year, but I have first grade+ work set up for her. I'm still "calling" her a kindergartener, but she can either go slowly through first grade work or she can zip through and end up working a grade level ahead next year too.

I understand you with the review too - I'm very new to this myself, and our kids can really throw us for a loop sometimes. I figured a little review might be good for Becca, but it ended up just boring her.

I really like your idea of using different math programs for each child. And I'm glad for the heads-up of possible sibling conflict in later years too. My girls are two years apart, and right now Sylvia's tagging along and enjoying the activities, but I know it might not always be that easy....

Maybe try using different curriculum. You are homeschooling...do you even have to call it a certain grade level? My 5yo has gone through curriculum from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year in a few subjects but I don't tell her she is in "3rd grade." She is just learning where she is. I wouldn't consider it "grade skipping" if she has already done 1st grade and ready to move to 2nd grade.

What do you do when you have children close in age and the other child doesn't like the accelerated child doing the same work? It would really simplify things for me, I could have my 5 yr old and 7 yr old doing the same math, LA, science, and history. My ds was very upset though when he heard me say that dd would be doing the same math as him. (I actually think he could be accelerated also, but the motivation isn't there for him).

I'd say DEAL WITH IT. I would not compromise one of my children's education because it might upset the other or make them feel bad. If he doesn't like it, then maybe he should work harder. She should not be held back by him.

I'd teach them together for "content" subjects, like history and science. But I'd let her work at her own level in the "skill" subjects, like math and language arts. Definitely give her a different program though. Singapore Math would be a good choice because the "grade" on the book is a good half-year behind the grade level of the material (by American standards). So, her book will say "1B", but it will be second grade material. Neither of them need to know that she is working at a higher grade level. Does that make sense? And, ds wouldn't need to feel threatened by her closing in on him from behind.

I'd do the same for language arts. Definitely let her read, and spell, and write at her level, but don't give her the same assignments that he's doing.

If he complains that she's doing things better or as well as him, just point out that "math is just her 'thing', just like 'running' (or whatever) is your 'thing'."

It's a toughie, but I wouldn't hold her back if she's ready to move on. She'll just get bored, and being bored leads to all sorts of other problems, and will help her to develop bad study habits. Also, she may feel like she her needs are less important than his.

My dd6's lowest "grade level" right now is 3rd. We do not have to declare a grade level with the state, but if we did, I would not feel right saying anything below 2nd, as she would have been grade skipped had she gone to public school. She plays soccer within the 6-8 age group, but the older girls will age out before she will, so dd will move up early to stay with her friends. She has "skipped a grade" in her ballet and tap classes and has made several friends there as a result. When we sign her up for academic classes, she goes at the appropriate level. If programs are strictly age based, we stay home. Sometimes I have to provide test scores or other "proof" of her grade level.

Where things get tricky is with tests like EXPLORE. We could go ahead and give it to her next year, or we could wait until she is 9, with the other "fourth graders". We will most likely compromise and wait one more year instead of two.

I went to college at 16, so early college for dd if she needs/wants it is a no-brainer for me. I also spent my early school years in a K-12 one room schoolhouse, so it is a very natural thing for me to think of a younger child studying ahead of an older.

If it were me, I would just explain to both of them that they are going to take some tests to determine what levels would be best for them. They need to understand that just because one is at a higher level than the other, it does not mean one is better or smarter. Also, work ethic and motivation play a role here as well. If your dd is more motivated to work ahead, and completes her assignments more efficiently, your son seeing that this leads to advancement is not exactly a bad thing IMVHO.

As for officially skipping a grade, I would base that more on where your daughter fits in all around- where she organically fits in best. Again, JMO and YMMV.

I will tell you what is going on in my house using similar materials.

My 10 yo is in MUS Epsilon, just fine, right where he should be....

6yo dd is mid way through Gamma. This year I started doing Singapore with her as well as the MUS. The problem was that Singapore introduces the concept of multiplication and division early on and ds saw that. He is 4 years older and was offended that she was doing multiplication in first grade when he knew he hadn't done it until third grade. I explained the different sequence to him but he was still pretty annoyed.

Despite the fact that we are using different math programs for them I have decided not to have dd doing math in front of ds, Singapore or MUS. He just can't deal with it. We are going to have to have some challenging conversations if/when she gets to Algebra before he does. I thought I could never have this problem because he is 4 years older.... I was wrong!

We also love MFW!

I had to avoid using K and 1st though because dd would have been terribly bored. It is a wounderful gentle program but for this particular child, that is not what she needed. If she is not challanged and interested it kills her love for learning. The great thing is that MFW is a multi age study in the upper years so you can have them both together for those content areas. I am not sure what year you are doing with your older child but I encourage you to just include your dd in with the main program as much as she wants to.

I do have to work to make sure they are not always comparing each other or in competition. It means I separate them a lot but they have a challenging relationship anyway and I don't want to make it worse.

Mostly I wanted you to know that it is ok to let your dd work at her own pace but a different math program may not solve the problem. You may still need to separate them for things like math and LA.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it was helpful to hear about since we use similar things. They will be using MFW Adventures this year and I think it will be a much better fit for her. Math I'm going to play by ear and just see how we're doing as we go along, I do think I'll start dd in Singapore and keep ds in MUS.

Thank you to everyone who replied, there is so much good info here.