Menu

Top 20 Books Every Person Should Own?

Hubby and I are trying to put together a list of books we'd like to buy. A sort of classics wish-list. I thought maybe you'd all like to play along and help us compile a list. Twenty seemed a reasonable number for starters although we are looking at eventually going as high as 100. You are welcome to suggest more or less than 20. I'm thinking more adult books because we are fairly well set for children's classics. Just a well-rounded set of books you'd want to have in your home if there were no access to a brick & mortar or digital library.

What 20 books should every person read/own?

Bible

Pilgrim's Progress

LOTR

Selected Dickens

Pride & Prejudice

To Kill a Mockingbird

Once and Future King

Selected Shakespear

Selected Kipling

Alice In Wonderland/Through Looking glass

Winnie the Pooh

The Chosen (Potok)

James Herriot series

Selected David McCullough

several poetry anthologies

1 or 2 greek/roman myth anthologies

Narnia series..anything by Lewis really

Twain - anything

Watership Down

The Iliad

The Odyssey

The Aeneid

Complete Works of Plato

Complete Works of Aristotle

The Bible

(possibly other religious works)

Poetry--maybe a Norton Anthology--I have one I love, but it's, er, not the only anthology in our house :D

Dante's Inferno

Paradise Lost

Chaucer

I guess nobody needs an anthology of Old English poetry, but I like it--same for the Greek tragedies.

The romantic poets should be well represented in your poetry anthology...so maybe some romantic/goth novels: Frankenstein?

Shakespeare--no excuse for less than the complete works. ;):D

Austen

Huck Finn

A good collection of American short stories. Throw in some British if you must. (or if you're in England) ;)

Eliot & cummings should be represented in your poetry anthology, too, & really, nobody needs their complete works, but...they're awfully nice to have. :D

I appreciate having an anthology of literary essays, but...on an essential 20 list? I'd leave it off.

Dickens--I hate Dickens, but he's got to stay.

Faulkner probably doesn't get to sit at this table, but he's my favorite.

Moby Dick

To Kill a Mockingbird

House on Mango Street

(Are we sticking to fiction? I thought you said that in OP, but I'm checking.)

Iliad

Odyssey

Aeneid

Complete Shakespeare

To Kill a Mockingbird

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer I would consider a children's classic)

Fahrenheit 451

Bible

Dante's Inferno

Beowulf

Don Quixote

The Tale of Genji

Le Morte d'arthur

Canterbury Tales

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Lord of the Flies

Something by Dickens

The Chosen

The Art of War

Edited by elegantlion

The Bible

Collected Works of Shakespeare

Plutarch's Lives

Dickens -Tale of Two Cities

Austen - Pride and Prejudice

Thucydides- The History of the Peloponnesian War

Saffire-Lend me your Ears (greatest speeches---even though some of those he lists are questionable)

Kissinger-Diplomacy

Churchill-The Second World War and The Island Race

de Tocqueville- Democracy in America

The Illiad

Gibbons- Decline and Fall

1,001 Nights

War and Peace

Lord of the Rings

Poetry Anthology (to include Kipling, Tennyson, Frost etc)

Collection of Great Documents. (Martin's 95 Theses, Dec of Independence, Constitution, Magna Carta etc)

Edited by pqr

The Bible

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (I think this is the best personal development book in existence besides the Bible).

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Harry Potter series

Any Jane Austen

Any Shakespeare

A Separate Peace

Poems by Robert Frost

I echo many of the suggestions already made, I'd just like to suggest that you go for anthologies, ie, collected works of Austen, a collection of Shakespeare, a collection of Dickens, a great history multi-volume set, get the idea? That way your top twenty books are more like 100.

Didn't catch if someone said the Bible... surely someone said that?

If you're looking to preserve what you think may become unavailable (as opposed to just making a collection of favorites/classics, you'll be sure to want some things like a good gardening/edible herbs encyclopdedia, as well as a medical reference manual (my personal fave is Where There Is No Doctor). And a copy of Farenheit 451 (yeah, yeah, I know it was about TV abuse moreso than censorship, but it still is a good reminder of how things can change!).

People have mentioned Dante. There is hope for the world. :001_wub:

But why only Inferno? Commedia is ONE unit, and you are missing out on so much beauty if you limit yourself only to the first part. If buying for the home library, buy the WHOLE thing (if you do not read Italian, get it in Mandelbaum's translation :tongue_smilie:, now that we had that thread and I took some time to compare them).

As for playing the game, alright, but I will stick to fiction (no particular order, as I think of them):

1. Bible

2. Dante, Divina Commedia

3. Iliad

4. Odyssey

5. Virgil, Aeneid

6. Ovid, Metamorphoses

7. Milton, Paradise Lost

8. Shakespeare, pick your favorite one

9. Racine, Phedre

10. Sophocles, Oedipus Rex (+ Antigone + Oedipus at Colonus, if you can get such an edition)

11. Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound

12. Euripides, pick your favorite one (I would go with Medea or Alcestis)

13. Moliere, pick your favorite one

14. Goethe, Faust

15. Dostoevsky, pick your favorite one (C&P if you want to be "sure" of your choice, but I would go with Brothers Karamazov)

16. Melville, pick your favorite option (I would opt for a collection of his novellas)

17. Cervantes, Don Quijote

18. Balzac, Pere Goriot

19. Maupassant's short stories

20. And for some childhood nostalgia and fun, de Amicis' Heart

These are great suggestions and we already own some of them. Hooray.

I think we are just wanting to have a good solid set of books that we can use to educate ourselves and our children. It was something we started talking about after learning that our libraries may close due to budget cuts. We don't particularly enjoy reading online and really we'd like to have actual physical books anyway.

My husband's grandmother had a wonderful collection of hardback books she passed down to us from her years as a teacher. I'd love to be able to do the same for my children some day.