Menu

Which math did your "mathy" child use for high school?

I am sure that has been asked a million times.

Which math did your "mathy" child use for high school math?

My DS12 is completing Videotext Algebra Module C. He has done amazingly well. But he complains he does not like Videotext.

I fear that perhaps that is not enough work for each lesson. We normally do it as instructed by VT....1/2 problems one day, 1/2 problems next day, , and then full Quiz A, and if necessary Quiz B. But lately, just to keep moving, I have been having him do the full problems in one day, because usually there are only 8-10 anyway. Yes, the problems are several steps and do take a bit longer, so maybe I am over thinking this.

So now I am considering other choices.

My thoughts so far:

1. I think that ChalkDust is too much $$$ for me. If I remember right, it was alot up front.

2. Although I like the concept of Teaching Textbooks, I have a ningling fear that I would do a disservice to my "mathy" son by using TT since it tends to be on the "easy" side. I know, I know, that is probably not correct, but I have read the debates about TT waaaay to often.

3. Not a big fan in general of Saxon, or the DIVE Cds.

But I do want it to be video-based as I am NOT mathy.

Part of me says stick with Videotext, even though he says he doesn't like it, he almost never gets anything wrong so he must be getting it.

My general plan for this child is that he would be talking college-level math at a local college in 11th and 12th grade, if he continues on getting math so easily.

I think that these first three modules of VT Algebra, are actually considered Algebra I, as they lump Alg 1 and 2 together for a total of 6 modules. Does anyone know if this is correct?

thnks!

My "mathy" ds did VT Algebra in 7th and 8th, then VT Geometry A-C in 9th and D in the fall of 10th. Then he did EPGY for Precalculus in 10th, Calc ABC in 11th and Multivariable Calculus in 12th.

My ds felt he got a really good algebra background from VT. We called modules A-C "Algebra 1", and D-F "Algebra 2", but I'm not sure it really lines up that way (the actual Algebra I part may extend into module D...) So unless your ds really can't stand VT or it's just not working for him, I'd be hesitant to switch horses halfway through. You might have to spend some time backtracking or figuring out where to start in another program. You might want to just finish out VT Algebra and then make the switch to another program for Geometry and up.

I'm not sure I'd do VT Geometry again myself (long story)--and especially if your ds doesn't like VT, it would not be the best choice.

EPGY was excellent, although it was a ton of work (esp Calculus A-C). Ds is now a freshman in Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon, and he has thanked me over and over for having him do EPGY. Apparently it has really helped him.

HTH!

My oldest (mathy, but doesn't particularly care for it) did well with Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II (her favorite). She did Larson's Precalculus (same as Chalkdust), but didn't care for it.

My middle dd (math) has done well with Kinetic Books Algebra I, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II. Kinetic Books is definitely her favorite. They don't have a Precalculus yet, so we're switching to Lial's for that.

KB didn't have a geometry program when she was ready for it, but it should be released soon.

The hs version of KB has an introductory video for each lesson and an automated gradebook. Other than that, it's just like the regular version with lots of problems that have immediate feedback and end-of-unit problems that have an answer key only for the odds (and the odds are plenty).

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

I looked at Art of Problem Solving. Did I understand it right, the "class" is just a chat session?

I looked at KB....that looks great! Any idea when Geometry would be out?

Is the "normal" math path: Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II....and then what? Trig or Calculus? I am bit off skew since we were doing Videotext and if you do Mod A-F, they say that is Algebra I and II......so if we bail, I need to figure out where we would go from that point.

Oh, and what is EPGY? Website for that? thxs!

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

I looked at Art of Problem Solving. Did I understand it right, the "class" is just a chat session?

It is an organized presentation that is given via a chat. This does not mean that it is chaos. One benefit of this presentation is that the classes are logged. The student can go back and re-read the session. My son has found it very helpful. The class moves through the material quickly, which is what we needed for him. Although he gets concepts easily, he was falling behind schedule. We needed him to step up so that he would be on track to take calculus his senior year since he is going into the sciences.

My other son is working through the books without the class and he is doing fine. He tends to be more diligent than his older brother and we don't have that time pressure as he is on track.

Re: the normal progression ... what the schools around here have is algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, pre-calc then calculus.

I am using VTI with my "mathy" girls (future engineers and computer programmers :D.) Modules A-E are Algebra I, and C-F are Algebra II according to the FAQs on the site (that's how much overlap there usually is in an Alg I and II course.)

We are going to start supplementing with AOPS this summer, too. We will continue on to VTI Geometry while doing some of the AOPS courses next year and maybe some statistics. My younger dd is on track for Calc I in the second semester of 9th grade, which is fine, as I have friends with kiddos in private school who are doing the same, but I would like to add some more diveristy to her math courses instead of just plowing ahead.

3 mathy boys:

Art of Problem Solving (some)

Singapore NEM

Lial's

(Tried Jacob's algebra and geometry - didn't go well for us; Chalkdust was overkill so they didn't like it)

Community College concurrent courses for College Algebra, Trig, Statistics, and Calculus (ds#4 isn't there yet, though).

I absolutely love the Life of Fred series. I am using it with a mathy child and a non-mathy child with great success for both. Their understanding is excellent and each time I have a "gee maybe I need to make sure they can do a traditional textbook' attack and yank out a few that I keep on the shelf, there is lots of 'Mom this is so easy' so I am pretty comfortable. My non-mathy kid took the PSAT's as a 9th grader and did very well so I feel "covered" there as well that they are going to be ok in those required testing situations. (not that those are what I worry about - I want good math understanding - but I have to think about that too)

Heather

Our oldest two did CD for all (or almost all of) high school math. Both are majoring in math in college. Ds double-majoring in math and CS, and Dd is doubling in biochem and math. Our third is now working his way through the CD series.

I agree that it is expensive, but it's not too bad when we divide it among our 7 children.

Art of Problem Solving for my mathy child. He tried Lial and did enjoy it. I'm the one who did not. I wanted something hands off for a lot of reasons, mostly organisational. AoPS has been hands off and has completely delivered. It's challenging, fun, and my kid just loves the math jokes.

My fairly mathy 9th grader is using AoPS. She's doing geometry this year and finding it very challenging. We've been supplementing with LoF.

May I ask what you are doing with LoF? I found AoPS very comprehensive and did not feel that anything was missing. What content is there in LoF that's missing in AoPS?

Thanks!

May I ask what you are doing with LoF? I found AoPS very comprehensive and did not feel that anything was missing. What content is there in LoF that's missing in AoPS?

Thanks!

"Supplementing" probably wasn't the right word. We've used it more as a bit of comic relief and to reignite dd's interest in geometry. I agree that AoPS is very comprehensive and there isn't anything missing that is covered in LoF.