Menu

Tacos for 30 teens

I am making dinner for dd's youth group. How much hamburger would you buy to make tacos for 30 teenagers. This will be dinner for them on a weeknight.

I am making tacos with trimmings, beans, chips and salsa, and brownies.

Do you think figuring each kid will eat 3-4 oz of taco meat and around two (soft shell) tacos each is about right?

Thanks!

I'd double the amt of tacos. Tazzie can eat 3 of them, so I don't doubt teen boys could inhale a stack!

As for ground beef, just get the whole cow.

Did I mention I have 3 brothers? Like a swarm of locusts in their teens, I swear!

I'd double the amt of tacos. Tazzie can eat 3 of them, so I don't doubt teen boys could inhale a stack!

As for ground beef, just get the whole cow.

Did I mention I have 3 brothers? Like a swarm of locusts in their teens, I swear!

Hmmmm....the whole cow, you say? :001_huh: Can you convert that to ounces? LOL

I've catered for Scouts and Venturers (14-18s) the Venturers inhale food. I would say 200g or 8oz of ground beef per teen. So that makes 6kg or 13lbs of ground beef. I'd probably go with 3.5-4 tacos per teen. Don't forget LOTS of salad and cheese to bulk them out.

I've catered for Scouts and Venturers (14-18s) the Venturers inhale food. I would say 200g or 8oz of ground beef per teen. So that makes 6kg or 13lbs of ground beef. I'd probably go with 3.5-4 tacos per teen. Don't forget LOTS of salad and cheese to bulk them out.

Yes, definitely go heavy on the less expensive toppings!

My family (6 eaters) will sometimes empty 2lbs of taco meat for dinner, and only one is a (12yo) rapidly growing boy. Based on his habits, I'd go with the 8oz/boy. Any potential leftovers can be frozen.

Yes, definitely go heavy on the less expensive toppings!

My family (6 eaters) will sometimes empty 2lbs of taco meat for dinner, and only one is a (12yo) rapidly growing boy. Based on his habits, I'd go with the 8oz/boy. Any potential leftovers can be frozen.

Wowsers. 8 oz per teen? 15lbs of meat? :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I'm going to need to make another run to the store!

:auto:

Thanks!

Thanks!

Lol. Well, you *could* always use beans as a filler!

I also still have the meatloaf thread in my head, so that could be influencing me. ;)

Thanks!

Yes, that's about right. I end up feeding a group of teenagers just about every weekend. Go to the store. :001_smile:

I agree with the 8oz. per teen. I also agree that you should make the tacos yourself. I would also plate the food as they come down the line. I'd start with 2 tacos on the plate with the sides, and let it be known they could come back up for another taco (or 2) if they wanted. That would cut down on waste.

I frequently have a houseful of teenage boys eating dinner at my house.

I would figure 8 oz. per person, and I would also buy canned chili beans (not canned chili, just beans in seasoned sauce) and I'd add that to the cooked taco meat. I'd also make rice & refried beans to help stretch everything. If you end up with leftovers you can always freeze them for later.

Just in case you want it, we love this big batch rice recipe. You can double the recipe if you want more, halve it if you want less, and it freezes beautifully. It doesn't have a lot of veggie "bits" in it that some kids shy away from. ;)

In a large stock pot, saute the following ingredients:

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 cups rice

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons cumin

Add the following ingredients:

4 teaspoons garlic salt

1/2 cup dried minced onion

2 cups tomato sauce

8 cups chicken broth

Bring to a brisk boil, stirring occasionally, then put on the lid and reduce the heat to simmer. Let rice cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Fluff with a fork, and serve.

Have fun! It's such happy chaos when there's a crowd of teenagers in the house! :)